Do you insure your youngster?

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I’m insured with NFU for my 10 year old & gold BHS for 3rd party liability, but do you insure your babies? And if so, who with?

My new one arrives next week. Is there such a thing as young stock cover?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Most insurers will cover them from 30 days old.
I got my foal covered via a broker from 14 days old. I mainly insured her because she's the first I've bred and I got all paranoid and protective ? she's 2 now and I have kept the policy up.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
KBIS catastrophe cover would be a good one for if you have the funds for a weekend stitch up etc, but not for colic surgery, joint flushes etc.
For a youngster however I'd probably just get a quote for full cover as it may not be much more than the catastophe cover (mine wasn't for the 5yr old), especially as they won't be in work etc. Just if you do, remember to change the horse's use level on your policy once they're broken in, as had a few clients get caught out this way when the 4/5yr old goes lame when ridden...

Nasicus

Visit site
First youngster I got at 7 months and she was fully insured from then onwards. Just as well as she had multiple claims in her first 3 years!
Current youngster I got at rising 3, insured fully for the 1st year in case anything came up, and now insured for accident & external injury through Harry Hall, but I'll swap back to full insurance once she's starting to be backed.

BBP

Visit site
My now 2yo Connie arrived in October. I insured him for up to £5k vets fees and 3 months later he suffered a ruptured tendon and laceration and required a hospital stay. I’m very glad I insured him as bills are in the thousand. SEIB had good rates and have been super easy to deal with. Dreading my premium at renewal time!

catkin

Visit site
Yes, insure them - they are baby horses, they will manage to get up to something. As before, remember to let the insurance company know when they are backed. A useful bit of advice from my broker was to keep receipts etc for backing so that any rise n value is recorded.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I've insured my horse for colic surgery starting when he was 3. It is a combined package with obligatory storm and fire damage insurance, which I don't need but had to take. I chose to insure for colic surgery because it is really pricey over here, and I want to have the option if needed. I'm in the Netherlands.