do you insured your retired horses?

ihatework

Visit site
Only PL via BHS now.
I did have a basic accident/external injury policy for quite a while but have now stopped that as horse really is on borrowed time now. No further veterinary intervention for my retired one (other than his bute & prascend)

RubysGold

Visit site
I cancelled my retired horses insurance because due to an injury she had, her legs weren't insured below the knee. And being an older girl, the medical treatment I would put her through was much reduced. I knew that the main thing she would require a vet for is her legs where the injury is. So I save the money so I can spend it on what she needs

I.M.N.

Visit site
One is fully insured as he has just retired but when his policy is up for renewal at the end of this year I'll think about it. My other one isn't insured at all as he's a bit of a loon and can't come within 10ft of a stable without losing his mind and my thought was any pricey treatments tend to require box rest, which isn't an option, plus he's on limited time anyway due to deteriorating KS, the last time the vet injected he could barley get the needle in so next time he gets sore it'll sadly be the end.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
No - he'd had so many claims prior to retirement that the premiums was almost £1000 a year and even dropping his value to the minimum didn't make much difference.

We do have the occasional vet visit (mystery nosebleed, eye injury, wound that needed antibiotics) but none that came anywhere near what the insurance premiums would be.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
depends what type of insurance you are referring to?

My mare is 30 - she is now just covered by my BHS cover, however until about 4 years ago she had normal insurance too, but everything that she ever had wrong with her was not covered, as it was classed as an internal injury! so once they are over 16 they are normally only covered for external injuries, i.e. an accident.

If that's all the horse is covered for, I would just stick £20 a month into a savings account to cover for anything of that nature! and just keep the BHS cover to protect if they ever escaped from the field and caused a bit accident