Do you know what this device is?

Enfys

Visit site
Does anyone know what this contraption is?
Hopefully it is no longer in use, but I was interested to see if anyone had seen one used.

11193243_10153298299321133_3983408068561012643_n.jpg

Abacus

Visit site
My guess is also reins, as otherwise the buckle end (top of picture) wouldn't have any purpose / where would it go.

I think you must hold it at the bit where they are parted though, as otherwise a) you couldn't adjust the relative length of the snaffle/curb rein, and b) it looks like too small a bit to hold at the top end. So maybe it brings double reins back together at the buckle to make it all a bit tidier?

Shay

Visit site
Its a De Gouge. A device to encourage a rounded outline / develop topline; but with the opposite action to a chambon. They are still in use - although many these days are elasticated rather than leather. They are harsh other than in experienced hands. (Actually they are harsh there too...) I've not used them personally - but I do know an instructor who does.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if it is a version of a de gogue then (a) it won't run through the bridle very well as not rolled leather (b) surely there are some bits missing ? ;)

dunno OP, but hope you aren't going to leave us in suspense for too long!

Kati*89

Visit site
My first thought was split reins for gag/pelham etc but the split seems too large...never seen a De Gouge but can't work out where 2 clips would go!

Enfys

Visit site
Not a de Gogue, or Chambon, although it is a head setting device. A particularly tortuous one :(

Enfys

Visit site
The longer straps hook to hock hobbles, through the girth up to the bit. Step, yank, step, yank, and side to side as well, nice :(

hock-hobbles.jpg

A forerunner to the pessoa. :(

Last edited:

milliepops

Visit site
Oooh jesus, that puts my whinges about Pessoas (that sock the horse in the chops every stride, with the bit connected to the back strap) into perspective!

milliepops

Visit site
Aha, someone else who is not a fan of the Pessoa.

haha! do not wish to derail your interesting thread :p but I attended a lecture demo which incorporated a comparison of various lunging aids, all shown on the same horse. Very interesting to watch ;) and quite illuminating in terms of what most of the audience thought, as well as the demonstrator!
The home made "variation on side reins, with tail bandage tied round bum" got the most points for me for being adjustable and potentially useful. The branded aids were ineffective when not interfering with the contact, and punishing when tightened enough to do anything.

Of course they make the horse look like it's working correctly, if all you do is glance at it for a second. Ho hum! (sorry for the diversion)

3OldPonies

Visit site
OMG what a horrible contraption. Some of the things people do to get their horse in an outline defy belief. What on earth are they thinking of?