Do you need a decent arena to compete?

Amaretto

Visit site
Pony currently training elementary, playing with changes and half steps.

Do you think you could maintain progress if you only had access to a smaller than standard arena, say 20m x 35m on a daily basis? Great surface, but just a bit small.

ecrozier

Visit site
We have a slightly smaller than standard (about 18 x 37) and whilst it's a minor pita, I'd personally rather have a small arena with a great surface than larger with poor surface :)

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I think riding in a smaller space at home is preferable to having a bigger than competition size arena to practise in. You get used to the smaller space so don't struggle when it comes to working in competition size arena.

We have a 20x40 and when I go for my lessons they are in an international sized arena which is great for practising straight lines and lateral work, but working at home in the smaller space makes me have to think and react quicker (I need all the help I can get with thinking quickly!!! ;) )

diggerbez

Visit site
I think riding in a smaller space at home is preferable to having a bigger than competition size arena to practise in. You get used to the smaller space so don't struggle when it comes to working in competition size arena.

We have a 20x40 and when I go for my lessons they are in an international sized arena which is great for practising straight lines and lateral work, but working at home in the smaller space makes me have to think and react quicker (I need all the help I can get with thinking quickly!!! ;) )

^^what she said. i actually think it can be an advantage when it comes to competing/ being squeezed in tiny working in arenas. i think you are ok if you have the odd lesson elsewhere anyway. don't get me wrong in an ideal world we'd all have huge arenas with amazing surfaces and mirrors etc but then we'd be aiming for the olympics and not having to work full time!

Hen

Visit site
Depends entirely on your sphere of competition - whether you want the horse to be 100% adaptable or 100% submissive and trusting - not having a decent practice arena for reining competition, for example, is not in any way helpful, as your horse will only stop and turn well when it has a feel for the surface and is comfortable with it, and you spend the majority of your time at competitions in 'training' not 'competition' mode.

Amaretto

Visit site
I have a great surface to use now, so my concern is really about moving to a new place with a conservative arena, albeit a good surface. Not ready for tempis just yet (though he does them when finding his balance for jumping). However, as suggested, attending clinics etc might be enough trainIng wise, if I need to practise stuff with mote space?

trottingpole

Visit site
Hmm, to elem, possibly medium i would say you'd cope as you are... but after that, with learning changes, extensions etc, then you are going to struggle and make life a lot harder for you and your horse...

amandaco2

Visit site
id say you definately need a decent surface... a smaller arena with a brilliant surface is a million times better than a huge arena with a crapo surface!
i think once you start to do the more complex movements it will get quite hard to train in a smaller space- having the extra will help as you have longer to rebalance and try again etc.... and more space to move into..
but essential...? im sure there are alot of horses trained in smaller menages competing at a good level....

oldvic

Visit site
I trained horses to advanced dressage for many years in an arena that was approx. 36 x 18. Yes, there were some things that weren't so easy like extensions and tempi changes but I would ride elsewhere for lessons or occasionally go in the field if the ground was suitable. I found I could do enough for the extensions and keeping the reaction forward is the main thing anyway. I seemed to manage with the tempi changes and the main thing with the zigzag is the positioning so just do fewer steps in half pass.
See the small arena as more of a challenge rather than an impossibility if the rest of the yard suits.

Louise_88

Visit site
I have coped fine but now training at Adv Med/Advanced level I am struggling I find also asking for more in half passes etc i find i'm getting to the end before really improving it, maybe my bad riding but either way it's a struggle. I have a 20x40. I will be hiring out a 30x70 arena every 2 weeks from now on so that i can make the most of the extra space.

Amaretto

Visit site
Ok, so if I:

Schooled 2/3 times per week (one might be poles and jumping)
Lunged once or twice
Hacked a few times a week.

So it equals 5-6 days work per week. Then attended a dressage clinic on a huge, excellent surface twice a month. Competitions in between. Would it work?