Do you regularly change your horse's bit?

**Vanner**

Visit site
Do you do this?

I can understand how it would freshen up the horse and put pressure on different parts of the mouth, I've never really done it but my boy seems to go lovely when I switch from his Pelham and back, as if he likes the change. I might play with some of the rest of our huge collection ;)

Does anybody else do this?

StormyMoments

Visit site
used to but taz is so fussy that its not worth the effort of finding something new he likes! but i do change between a pelham, straight snaffle, hackamore and a happymouth straight snaffle but its all depending on what im doing so yeah i do really :) and he likes the change :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I swop bits a lot mainly just between different types of snaffle .
My driving horses are driven in liverpools and snaffles.

igglepop

Visit site
I have 4 different snaffles and rotate as one of the horses i share gets bored it varies from a few days to 4 months a bit will stay in but you can always tell when he is bored.

WestCoast

Visit site
The only change I made with my previous pony was to drag hunt him in a kimberwick for a little more brakes.

Bree is currently in a Myler comfort wide which seems to be recommended for young horses as I wanted the most comfortable bit I could find after how sore her mouth was when I got her. Not sure if that means she should have something else when her training is more advanced, but if she goes well in it I can't see any reason to change.

Paula

Auslander

Visit site
I alternate between a french link snaffle and a double depending on my mood. We both prefer the double, but I don't want to ride in it all the time.

Goldenstar

Visit site
experimenting at the moment, but once I find something his 100% happy in I won't be changing :)

This was my way for yearS until I attended a talk by the lady who
Developed neue schule bits she explained how using different snaffles on a regular basis can improve the feel in hand and keep horses light and senestive it made me question my way and so a tried regular changes between different snaffles the results are so good I will never be going back .

Daytona

Visit site
Nope as don't see how it would benefit my horse, he in a NS team up, goes well in it so would not go upsetting him by changing things

Taisypops

Visit site
No we hack bitless and school in a snaffle, she has such a sensitive/fussy mouth and I think changing all the time wouls be good for her. I have friends however who change their horses bit all the time. So I guess it was suits your horse. x

**Vanner**

Visit site
This was my way for yearS until I attended a talk by the lady who
Developed neue schule bits she explained how using different snaffles on a regular basis can improve the feel in hand and keep horses light and senestive it made me question my way and so a tried regular changes between different snaffles the results are so good I will never be going back .

Hmmm this is what thought.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Gs
I am a total cynic .... I'd consider if the bit seller had an alternative agenda advising regular bit changing.....

Well you could think that but my horses are really good trained like this of course if I try a snaffle and that horse hates it I don't use it but however horses do change as they strengthen and improve one of mine at the moment hated the myler snaffle two years ago when I bought him now he goes best in that.
I have a huge chest of bits some I have had some for over thirty years most of them snaffles it's extremly interesting how using say three or four snaffles on A regular basis does make them light and senestive to the snaffles the two horses who have gone on to the double as they are progressing have done so easy peasey.
I keep one snaffle for fast work exciting stuff and only use that one on that horse for this.
It's working for me that's what counts .

amandaco2

Visit site
Yes what ever works for the horse.
Although I'm not sure why as they progress training wise, why the contact should change so drastically they need rebitting..but whatever works.
I've found mine are the same on the contact throughout once they are happy with the bit as nothing else changes with the riders hands or strength of contact.....

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes what ever works for the horse.
Although I'm not sure why as they progress training wise, why the contact should change so drastically they need rebitting..but whatever works.
I've found mine are the same on the contact throughout once they are happy with the bit as nothing else changes with the riders hands or strength of contact.....

The idea is that the horses mouth becomes less senestive to the action of each snaffle over time by swopping keeps that senestivity as you chose a range of snaffles that act slightly differently .
The quality of Contact changes as self carriage develops.

BarmyC

Visit site
I used to just use a NS baucher with a lozenge on my horse and then after her 2nd season out dragging she was getting a lot stronger so i tried a kimblewick.. This was as much use as a chocolate teapot so we went back into the baucher..

Her way of going was so much better after swapping back, not that she wasnt going well before but everything was so much easier..

We did a few team chases and a couple of ODE's in the baucher and then a few weeks ago out team chasing the brakes and steering failed completely so we are now trying out a tom thumb.. i will find the results out tomorrow at a HT..

I dont really want to have to ride her permanatly in this and hope that when she is a bit older (she is 7) and has learnt not to bog off with me i can go back to the baucher.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Contact is third on the training scale after rhytmn and suppleness the just broken horse will have a very different feel in the hand to the same horse two years later .

amandaco2

Visit site
Bring third doesn't mean its always established after the other two.
Imho the scales are highly interlinked and don't necessarily follow each other with the exception of the higher scale eg collection.
Mine range from novice to psg and I'm only saying what I've found in my own experience. They are equisensitive to the bit as in in lower training levels. I can see how they gain confidence in seeking the contact but any feeling of insensitivity or heaviness would make me review the training or my hands.Differences in the contact and feel to the hand doesn't mean the bit needs changing imho
Each to their own however, as long as horse and rider are happy that's what matters