Do you remember the date you lost your horse(s)?

Roxylola

Visit site
17th August 2006 around 9am. I remember the date and time always - the year I have to work out usually. He was 9 and my world, there's never been another before or since

Fools Motto

Visit site
Yes, I remember. It's like a special date/time but for the wrong reasons.
I remember the dog passing too, just the same as I remember my dad's date of passing. There is no difference for me.
Luckily I now look back with pride and am honoured to have had such lovely family/animals in my life.

Baywonder

Visit site
There are some truly heartbreaking stories in this thread, and my heart goes out to each and every one of you. ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No, the trauma of that day is not something I want to recall. I remember sitting on the edge of the pavement at the RVC having made the decision and being told I wasn’t allowed to be with him at the end. Horrendous day.

I’m dreading my horse I have now going.We’ve had some very close calls over the past couple of years, chronic arthritis, colic, now strangles. He’s my big dog, my baby.

With the dogs, equally, I don’t want the dates emblazoned on my brain. Losing Jake was appalling, he was only 7 and had inoperable cancer. We had his brother til he was 16 but even a long, happy life doesn’t lessen the pain of losing him.

Talking of parents passing, I have a photo of me smiling happily on a school trip to France, wearing my favourite shirt, eating my favourite French pastry, blissfully unaware that my dad had died an hour ago. I couldn’t tell you the date, maybe the 15th? Dreadful bloody time.

Floofball

Visit site
No, apart from my wonderful collie that I had to take to emergency vets to pts on a Sunday - it was my youngest stepson’s 21st Birthday!!!
I think it’s my coping mechanism, I remember the good stuff and gloss over the heartbreak in my memories.

Saying that, I am truly terrible with dates. I lost my husband on my birthday and I joke that it happened like that because he knew how bad I am and I would never forget the day I lost him ?

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
Yes. Losing TPO is a scab that I still pick at almost 11yrs on.

Most of the others I know the dates and am "aware" when one is upcoming (there's quite a list) buy I tend not to focus or dwell on it. Although FB memories can stick the knife in at times, not sure why I felt the need to mark all those occasions ?

I cant remember the date that I lost my pony when I was 14 but I remember everything about it. I had a friend sleeping over and mum made me go to the farm with my dad to do the ponies and leave Karen at my house. When I got back mum told me that my pony was being pts the next day but I wasnt allowed to be there. It was octoberish time from what I recall.

My arab was pts jan 2008 and was the first horse that I was there for through everything on my own. I cant remember the exact date anymore, I did for years but it sort of fades like the pain. I do remember everything that led to that point and what happened that day.

Same for all of them, I remember the most random of details from those days.

It's easier just to have my horses in my memories than get myself upset over all of the anniversaries. The first one is usually the hardest but time keeps marching on

skint1

Visit site
28th April 2015 at around 4pm I lost my beautiful mare to EAM. She had been in hospital for a couple of days and had been showing positive signs before very suddenly taking a turn for the worse. I was at work about 30 mins from her, not really tuned in but it beat climbing the walls at home waiting for visiting time. Call came through that she wasn’t doing so well, I told them I was coming but if she was suffering they were to end it. They didn’t. She was such a wise and lovely soul, and deserved better, I was so very lucky to have her.

21st October 2016 2pm our beautiful Basil was put to sleep at home by the vet due to advanced arthritis of many joints. It was a sunny day and a peaceful end, in fact as I recall that was one of the warmest and sunniest autumns we’d had in a while. He found winters hard and was beginning to struggle to get up, we didn’t want him to get to a point where he couldn’t.

Although I remember these dates I don’t consciously mention them or mark them.

Last edited:

Lurfy

Visit site
I deliberately forget the dates so I don't think about the actual death each year on that day. The last horse I had PTS was about 6 years ago and I know the season that's all. I remember our years together with great joy and find PTS anniversaries for me are best if I let them go.

tiahatti

Visit site
No I dont remember. I know the months but wouldn't want to know the days. My dear old cat was also PTS before xmas. I think of her a lot as the xmas season starts too.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
No, I couldn't even tell you year or season. It's the same with people and other animals though. I remember the day itself well, but the date not a chance.

I think it's just the way my brain is wired. I can often quote you whole chapters of a book I've just read word for word, but the author's name is a total blank.

ponyparty

Visit site
Yes, I remember, the date, time, everything about it. I wish I didn't. I got the call from YO and knew before I picked it up that something awful had happened; practically threw my toddler at OH and jumped in the car, knowing deep down it was futile and I'd never make it in time. My phone rang again a couple of mins later while I was en route and I told them to let him go, I couldn't have him suffering. Could barely see to drive; probably shouldn't have been driving.

Unfortunately as I was keeping a log of everything that had happened with him, in the run-up to his catastrophic field injury, with a view to taking the "barefoot rehab and retirement livery" he'd been at previously, and the damned trimmer, to court, I have all the dates etched in my mind. It's coming up to a year and although this is a bit morbid I think I'm going to mark it somehow. I might just take the day to have some quiet time by myself. Go for a long walk or something. I never usually do stuff like that, but it was such a tough time going through that grief, in lockdown, with a toddler, so no time to myself really... I don't feel like I got time to grieve properly or reflect.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I used to know, but don't want to become 'fixated' on the sad dates. I remember the days (several beloved animals) like it was yesterday, but try not to think about that aspect as it is still too raw many years on.
Totally agree with you. I'd rather not remember sad dates. If I can get through the date I lost my dear mum without realising what date it is, then I'm pleased. The event itself is heartbreaking itself without having to relive it on the anniversary. Ive seen sad anniversaries posted on FB and I'm sure sometimes it's to get sympathy. By all means remember the person/horse etc but I question how healthy it is to open old wounds on the anniversary of their passing? Oh crikey, I just realised yesterday was the anniversary of losing my mum. I absolutely loved my mum to the moon and back and miss her every day, but I'm so glad I didn't spend yesterday in mourning again. I had a lovely hack with a dear friend and had a really nice day. Mum would much prefer that ?

Denbob

Visit site
I know it was June 2020 and the hunt came at 2:30, but in the midst of covid and everything else I was an absolute wreck.

He was only 7 but he was in pain and we couldn't figure out where or how to fix it, or even if it was fixable and his behaviour was escalating really dramatically. Actually had a dream last night that I'd wimped out of PTS and sold him on and they'd tried to force him through it, been a wobbly mess all morning.

Fransurrey

Visit site
For all my cats I do, but confess I forgot the exact date of having H put to sleep until my friend left flowers in my stable! I'd worked myself up so much in the months leading to it and made a spur of the moment decision on that morning, so the whole thing was a blur. She couldn't believe I'd forgotten, but to be honest at the time I still couldn't believe he was gone - I'd had him 27 years!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I know it was June 2020 and the hunt came at 2:30, but in the midst of covid and everything else I was an absolute wreck.

He was only 7 but he was in pain and we couldn't figure out where or how to fix it, or even if it was fixable and his behaviour was escalating really dramatically. Actually had a dream last night that I'd wimped out of PTS and sold him on and they'd tried to force him through it, been a wobbly mess all morning.
Massive hugs. For months afterwards I had dreams like that, or the injection hadn't worked and I knew I'd have to do it all over again.

cariad

Visit site
I am reading this and thinking how lucky you are. My biggest wish in life is that Boggle has a long and happy life and grows up with me, and that I don’t loose him before his time. To have two horses reach that age is incredible, what a privilege.
Michen, they weren't my oldest. I had an Irish TB who had been a showjumper in his youth who was 36 when he was put down in the field, same situation, fine until he wasn't. My neighbour texted me at work to say he had been lying down for a long time and I went straight home. He wasn't going to get up again. I had had him 22 years. Only two weeks before he'd been standing fine on 3 legs getting his feet trimmed. The 34 year old referred to was an advanced medium dressage horse, got him when he was 18; the 30 year old I had had since he was 3. I have lost two others at 33 and 34. I'd had them years. I have not had a horse die or be put down under 30, nor a dog under 17 and I've had dogs for getting on for 50 years. They also were all fine till they weren't; only one had a stroke.

I don't know how or why they live so long - well, they keep breathing, I suppose! If I knew, I'd bottle it and sell it. I have not any major problems with any of them either. One colic, dressage horse did a suspensory, but recovered, abscesses here and there, a ripped lip, but really, compared to the horror stories I read on here, with horses off work for years and costing thousands, I really do know how lucky I must have been. They were originally on DIY livery, but when we moved here 14 years ago, they were out 24/7, some rugged, some not, no shoes, hedges for shelter, hard feed for the oldies with Benevit, otherwise only haylage for al twice a day in the field. To be fair, they were not really in work, though could be ridden, so would likely be a very different situation for horses in work.

Luck of the draw a lot of it, I think.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Some dates stick in my memory, others just don't. My childhood dog died on Nov 3 1968, I remember because of being glad he didn't have to hear the fireworks. My adored pony died after a long battle with digestive problems on June 8 1970. Blazing hot day and he was down, had to rig up a sunshade for him while we waited for the hunt. My last horse was put down July 1 2017 along with my sister's gelding and I lost my heart dog the same year on Aug 10. My load pony then died in the field on my wedding anniversary in Oct the same year. I have lost many other animals but although I can remember the details only too vividly the dates are a blur. I don't 'do' anniversaries, don't see the point.

sunnyone

Visit site
Sadly yes I remember the dates for 2 as New Year's day and Good Friday are too memorable to forget. I'm already welling up and Friday is 3 days away. For the 3 others I check my old diaries for the exact day of the month but I can point out the exact spot where they fell.