Do you ride in the rain?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Sitting here contemplating my choice in hobby as it's raining sideways and I have a lesson in an hour.

Do you ride in the rain? Only for comps/lessons? Or do you choose not to ride in the rain, even if it means you don't ride that day?

greenbean10

Visit site
I ride in the rain in winter as usually I don't have a choice as it's constantly raining! In the summer I will look at the weather forecast and if I can time the horses' days off in line with the bad weather days then I will, otherwise I ride in the rain! Competitions I will always go to even if it's raining. It is a bit miserable but I usually think it's worse for us than it is the horse.

PurBee

Visit site
Nah....not if i have a choice!
I recall i had a jumping lesson booked when younger - it was torrential downpour and i thought we would be in the indoor school....arrived to be led to the outsidegrass paddock jumping arena, which was slippy and hellish.
I dont actually recall the lesson, it was obviously so traumatic ive blocked it from memory! ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Depends on the horse. I used to but now I only have the old boy to pootle round on and I know his very obvious dislike and pure misery of rain then no!

millikins

Visit site
Not if I can help it :) I've become more wimpy over the years, I blame a connie who HATES rain and now having my own place so if I get wet then I stay wet until all chores are finished and that's a bit grim. I also rarely drive in the rain, that's really horrid because you get so cold as well.

Roxylola

Visit site
I dont love to, but working full time and living in the uk make it unavoidable. If its freezing cold and really heavy I might plan to ride the next day but that's about all

Leandy

Visit site
I'd rather time it so I don't have to but if the horse would otherwise miss his work that day then I do yes. I would adjust the plan accordingly though.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Not purposefully in heavy rain although I’ve got caught out a few times once already out. I’ve had lessons in heavy downpours and it’s really a waste of money most of the time although I suppose it’s handy for practice if you get caught in one during a competition.

Wheels

Visit site
I live in ireland so not much choice lol

If it's really heaving it down, freezing and windy I might give it a miss but otherwise i just wear appropriate gear and get on with it.

Nari

Visit site
I'm less likely to n the summer because the chances are the weather will be better the next day. Also most of my waterproof gear is winter weight.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Yep! I live in a stupidly wet county so it’s that or often don’t go out. If there’s water laying I won’t go on the roads; I’ll ride bareback in waterproofs which saves all the drying the horse off for tack hassle!

I’ve often seen horses at wet horrible shows play up because of the rain and do themselves no favours with their behaviour and performance. My Connie mare beat a few much better ponies she had no business beating over the years because she’d go nicely in the rain.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Just did, now I’m soaked...
Really don’t mind getting rained on especially in the summer, but the horse is not a fan so we try and avoid it. But if it rains whilst we’re riding I won’t cut my ride short.

HashRouge

Visit site
I used to, though I generally wouldn't start out in torrential rain. But my share horse's owner doesn't like his tack getting wet so I don't at the moment!

J&S

Visit site
No, not any more at my age! Used to though, if you only have a certain amount of time/days to ride you just get on with it.

Cowpony

Visit site
Yep, our lessons are normally at the same time as a kids lesson, so we end up outdoors whatever the weather. If I don't have a lesson I wouldn't ride in torrential rain, but would in drizzle. We do dressage comps and if it's raining when it's our turn to go we have to go regardless!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Yes if it's a lesson. My motto has always been if they'll teach in it, I will ride in it.

If I am more flexible I will look at the forecast and try and choose a better time to ride, but I won't miss a planned session unless it would be unsafe/unfair on the horse.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sitting here contemplating my choice in hobby as it's raining sideways and I have a lesson in an hour.

Do you ride in the rain? Only for comps/lessons? Or do you choose not to ride in the rain, even if it means you don't ride that day?
yes why not, I won't melt even though have indoor school, I hack in the rain as we all have waterproofs