Do you ride when you're ill?

Lill

Visit site
Like when you've got a rotten stinking cold?

I've had one all week and have only managed to ride my two like twice and not for very long as it makes me feel worse! So they've had an easy week!

Rambo

Visit site
Only thrown a riding 'sickie' once in the past year
grin.gif

Judie

Visit site
If you're ill, you're ill, they will live, no point making yourself worse and if you're not effective when you're on there's no point.

Do what you have to do and go home and get better!

Tempi

Visit site
ive had a mega sore throat all week and have felt like total cr*p. I actually threw up on my way to the yard on tuesday morning (dont worry i pulled over in my car and got out!). there is noone else to do my horses and i have to go into work as we dont get paid if we are off sick. I dont like taking anything for colds either so ive just been putting up with it. Im one of those people who just gets on with things, i dont like mouching around feeling sorry for myself. Ive schooled both my two for an hour each every evening this week. However ive been worn out when i get home at aounrd 7 every evening so ive just had tea and gone to sleep!

sherwood'

Visit site
No not if i real rough. You are far better recovering and dont worry about them not being worked for a few days- im sure they will be glad of the break!!

LadyB

Visit site
if it is making you feel worse then it will take you longer to get better. so if i was you i would rest, get better quicker and be fighting fit to ride properly again!!!

riotgirl

Visit site
If I'm feeling really ill then I won't bother riding. I reckon that if all I'm capable of is ambling about then it won't hurt to miss riding! Still have to muck out and feed though as there isn't anyone else to do it.

vicm2509

Visit site
Most of the time riding makes me feel a bit better. I wouldnt force myself to ride if I was really ill though, Id just get Baron to give me lots of cuddles
smile.gif

beaconhorse

Visit site
As I suffer with Rheumatoid Arthritis if I did not ride when I was ill then I would NEVER ride. However if I am really bad then I just cannot ride. Like today..... I am in so much pain BUT more importantly Beacon would get away with things he would not normally do, so therefore it would be a bad thing to ride him when I am this bad

TGM

Visit site
If I've just got a sniffle I'll hack out but would try to avoid schooling or having a lesson because I usually find it is a waste of time if I'm ill - they always seem to know they can try it on when you are feeling poorly!

If I feel really rough I don't ride at all - no point really as she gets plenty of turnout and is not the sort to get over-fresh if she misses a few days riding.

Lill

Visit site
Hmm well they get 12 hours turnout everyday so no chance of getting stupid through not being ridden really they are 6yo now so not gonna get silly if not ridden for a few days. Going to yard later might try do 15 or 20 mins on each don't think i'll manage much more!
frown.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
Not normally I did once because it was my friends birthday and she really wanted to go for a nice ride. We got to a field I felt dizzy then pickle went for a fairly fast canter down the field. In the end, I had to ride my friends Bombproof highland back to the yard while she rode my horse back!

Sal_E

Visit site
Just a cold, yes - bad cold, no, I'd lunge (haven't got the lung capacity for getting puffed out!) - stinking cold, nothing (no lung capacity for exercise, no voice for lunging!). Colds are rare for me nowadays though, since I worked out the foolproof vit c cure!

Parkranger

Visit site
Unless I'm aching with flu I ride - makes me feel better normally!

Have also ridden with a nasty hangover - good gallop blows the cobwebs away!

x

UKa

community.webshots.com
the one thing I always do is exercise the horse (e.g. ride or lunge) without fail - I may be too sick to go to work but usually doesn;t stop me from going to yard ...

kerrylou123

Visit site
i would usually, but ive not ridden my horses (or trust anybody else too) for the past 3 weeks, coz ive had glandular fever. Although i did ride my mare on Wednesday, and my gelding last night (but he tried to kill me)

filly190

Visit site
My golden rule has always been, if I am not well or in the right frame of mind, I dont ride. I feel my t.b's pick up on moods really quickly and so I like to be relaxed and calm when riding/handling them. If I feel bad, they seem to play up a treat. Also I always try and keep my temper around my horses and if I'm not up to that, I just do what is necessary and leave them be.

Sarah1

Visit site
Without wanting to sound like a martyr! I do everything that I do when I'm well when I'm not unless I'm dying!!!!!
I have to go to work as there is no-one to cover my job, I still have a house to run, horse is on DIY and my sister already has 3 of her own so I have to carry on as normal really, which includes working my horse. Slightly different for me at the mo as horse has been out of full work for 6 months so we're only long-reining and lunging for now
frown.gif
!
I do agree though that if you're ill you're ill and if you really think you can't ride then you're horses won't suffer for it so don't feel bad! They've probably had a great time off work!!!!!

Twiglet

Visit site
I rode through bronchitis four winters ago and I'm pretty convinced it's why I ended up with asthma as a result. Now I have to take an inhaler 6 times a day, and will always be restricted by what the asthma lets me do.

So I'm more careful about pushing it when I'm ill now, especially in the winter.

Lill

Visit site
Didn't ride although i did lunge them both and they were most well behaved - nice for me! Got some pics too will try put them from phone onto puter now...hmm....

teapot

Visit site
For the first time in 6yrs I had to cancel my lesson a couple of weeks ago as I was still not that well at all.

I would love to ride at the mo, haven't since August as haven't been well at all but even a quick 10min walk leaves me feeling dire so am putting it off for the moment - not sure I'd cope with an 1hrs private jumping lesson, probs slide off

truffles

Visit site
When I went to try Chloe I was getting rid of my GF (I didn't know it was glandular fever then), so I could hardly jump her over 2ft, so my sister had to hop on and let me do the watching hehe. I was absolutely shattered lol, and everyone was very puzzled as I had hardly done anything!