Do you sell or bin cheap no longer needed items ?

BBH

Visit site
Just musing really as I've seen on fb someone selling a fly fringe for a £1.

I just couldn't be bothered taking a pic, uploading it and doing an add, arranging contact and meeting person for a £1.

Have to be honest I bin most stuff as I just want it gone if I'm having a sort out. My ideal would be for a charity to have a drop off point at a local sadler or something but I have never seen anything like this.

How do you dispose of your old stuff.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
I know what you mean. On our local horsey FB page there are people selling filthy mud covered rugs - often for just £5-10. My old rugs were cleaned and then given to a local horse charity.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I too am guilty of hording - if I was going to have a massive clear out I'd just turn up a local charity and hand boxes over - ours have car boot sales occasionally so anything they couldn't use themselves they could flod there and use the money themselves.

SteadyNeddy1070

Visit site
What do you mean too much stuff?! :p

Can't have enough horsey bits!!!!

I agree though a charity drop off point would be good. Might suggest to my local tack shop.

Girls at yard are taking bag to Moorcroft TB rehab place and I'm sure horse rescue places would always appreciate it, if stuff is still serviceable that is. Not just all the broken crudy stuff!

There are Groups on FB for lcoal areas to advertise and I have put on FB Groups for my riding clubs and have sold stuff that way. Much easier than ebay and nice to go to local people you know. My RC also has a twice a year car boot. Got a bargain Mears hacking jacket last year for £25! Happy Days! :D

There is a horse charity seller who attends this tack sale in Surrey:
http://www.newdigatetacksale.moonfruit.com/
Sure they always want stuff. Sorry can't remember the name.

marmalade76

Visit site
I sell stuff I don't want, need or don't have room for (OH gets a bit cross about the fact that our house doubles as a tack room and insists that I shift some of it now and again) on FB, Ebay or at tack sales.

I know that it doesn't really pay to make an effort to upload pics of something of little value onto FB, etc, but to me it just feels wrong to throw away something that someone else might find useful, I would rather give away than throw away (though it is surprising what some people will buy!) Obviously, if something is worn out or broken I would it throw away.

I also love getting a second hand bargain and quite often older stuff is beeter quality than new :)

Last edited:

TheoryX1

Visit site
Another hoarder here too. If its something cheap and no longer required on our yard we tend to swap and pass things around, or they get binned. If the item is a quality item and is no longer required then it goes on ebay.

Dont reckon I would put an old fly fringe for £1 up for sale somehow!

Mudfukkle

Visit site
[QUOTEI sell stuff I don't want, need or don't have room for (OH gets a bit cross about the fact that our house doubles as a tack room and insists that I shift some of it now and again) on FB, Ebay or at tack sales.
][/QUOTE]

Ha ha - I get exactly the same from my hubby :D My spare room doubles as a tack room and yes, I am a complete horder. I have sold stuff, then wished I hadn't, so tend to keep hold of stuff now.

I am a prolific ebayer, but do far, far more buying than selling :D

However, I have given stuff to friends who have needed it, and I also want to start a bit/headcollar collection for a charity in Eygypt.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I normally give it away, so neither. I'm so anti-landfill it's almost a fault, but I can't bear the thought of useful things being thrown away. So, I either freecycle, offer on FB, or give to charity.

Kat

Visit site
Dispose? What is this word? I am a hoarder!

I'm afraid Im a hoarder too, you never know....!

And another hoarder here :eek: you never know when something might just come in handy......

Seriously, I never bin stuff unless it is broken and unuseable, I can bring myself to get rid of things if it is selling or giving away. Therefore if it isn't worth the effort of ebay I will either give it away or sell it cheap by sticking a notice on the board at the yard.

ellie11987

Visit site
Another hoarder, I have tons of things from old horses (that I outgrew) that I know I will never need again and just keep for the sake of it :eek:. Occasionally they end up with some of the ponies and smaller horses but I don't bother selling, its keep or give away :)

ruth83

Visit site
I often scour FB and the like for random items like that. I teach students through the BHS system amongst other things and often pick up bits which might not be in the best condition for actually using but can be very useful for teaching. For example I have 2 saddles, one with a broken tree and one synthetic one which was worn beyond use. I got both for the price of picking them up and they are now in peices so students can see what a tree looks like and how a saddle is put together. I am currently on the hunt for some clippers which don't necessarily work but students can mess around with practising putting blades on and off etc.

fizzer

Visit site
I hoard too. Have at least 100 rugs, 10 saddles, 50 odd numnahs, 30 odd bridles, 14 riding hats, 30 odd pairs jodphurs and riding tights.

I have a problem in that if i see something I like I have to have it in all the colours.

mandwhy

Visit site
It upsets me to think of people throwing things away! I am always on the lookout for cheap stuff, if its a rug I want it to be cheap and not washed instead of the price covering the cost of wash and reproof which I can do myself. It's amazing what actually sells on eBay and FB, some right knackered old stuff! And not really cheap either!

I think people just list everything they have in a job lot so if you go to pick up a rug you might think you may as well pick up a fly fringe and a spare haynet...

If you are throwing things away then do try to find a horse charity or rescue to take it, they either use it or sell it and to a charity spending say 6 pounds on a fly mask is quite a lot when there are things like that being chucked out :)

blood_magik

Visit site
It depends.
I recently put a load of breeches that no longer fit on ebay.
The riding school at my yard got two sets of unwanted safety stirrups and the mountains animal sanctuary got a few old rugs I found when I was having a clear out (and I bought a few buckets and a bag of food for them as well :p).

RainbowDash

Visit site
I'm on a big yard and we often pass things around. If a rug is going to be thrown out its cut up for patches and the buckles, d-rings etc are taken off for spares.

I acquired some nearly new stirrups for free a couple if months ago from one of the other liveries. :-D

If items are higher value I'll put them on ebay.

SuperH

Visit site
This year my mum and I threw out our collection of old jute rugs after years of keeping them just in case. If it is broken I get rid of it. If it is just shabby my pony will still use it. I have a saddle collection and a huge selection of brushes but not much else.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
I had a clear out at the weekend as I decided 15 saddle cloths most of which aren't of any use for one reason or another was slightly excessive for 1 horse. One of the items I found was a lovely pink fly fringe ;) although I certainly wont be bothering to advertise that, I would rather keep it in-case I ever find a use for it. But 6 saddle cloths, 4 useless girths, 2 exercise sheets and a few other bits and bobs will be getting advertised at some point.

Someone mentioned earlier about headcollars, I have LOADS all are perfectly useable but a little muddy, no point selling them, does a charity take them?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I often scour FB and the like for random items like that. I teach students through the BHS system amongst other things and often pick up bits which might not be in the best condition for actually using but can be very useful for teaching. For example I have 2 saddles, one with a broken tree and one synthetic one which was worn beyond use. I got both for the price of picking them up and they are now in peices so students can see what a tree looks like and how a saddle is put together. I am currently on the hunt for some clippers which don't necessarily work but students can mess around with practising putting blades on and off etc.

Do you have a wish list Ruth, perhaps some of us can help?

I tend to buy more than I sell or throw out! :rolleyes:

Elsiecat

Visit site
I think I'm on my way to hoarding. 4 bridles, 11 numnahs, 20 rugs, 7 sets of bandages, 21 headcollars, 2 saddles and saving for a 3rd..
I've only owned a horse for 7 months :eek: