Do you think horses find humans annoying?

ImmyS

Visit site
Because I’m pretty sure I irritate Finn with my antics… ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On a serious note though, I often wonder if horses find our interactions and interference irritating at times? Or whether I am personifying them and they don’t real have feelings of annoyance? Just a weekend musing!

Feel free to share any pictures or videos or your horses putting up with your antics!

Havital

Visit site
I definitely think my mare gets fed up with me talking to her in an annoying baby voice and kissing her non stop?

Mule

Visit site
I can feel mine rolling his eyes at me at times.
The last time was when I dismounted carelessly and kicked him in the arse. I swear I heard him sigh..

ImmyS

Visit site
Definitely if they've been messed around with for hours. I feel there's only so much time horses should have to put up with us with .

I do agree with this. Finn is quite an interactive, inquisitive type but generally, bar when messing around like in the above video, he’s only 3 and gets minimal interference - I pretty much poo pick, check for any injuries and that’s that. Any handling is just kept efficient and concise! I do think they appreciate it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I do agree with this. Finn is quite an interactive, inquisitive type but generally, bar when messing around like in the above video, he’s only 3 and gets minimal interference - I pretty much poo pick, check for any injuries and that’s that. Any handling is just kept efficient and concise! I do think they appreciate it.
I groom , attend to lumps and bumps and obviously tack up and ride etc but I do try and leave him be the rest of the time although I'd love to cuddle him all day !

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think horses can feel what we might consider annoyance- look at one being bothered by flies, or frustrated by having to wait for food.

Do we annoy them? Probably yes- I'm sure my pony would be perfectly happy living out 24/7 and never being ridden. BUT he does also like getting food, and whilst he may not like seeing the vet, I'm sure being left with an illness would be worse for him.

Equally, in winter, or when the weather is crap, he is quite happy to see me and come into a nice dry stable!

lynz88

Visit site

Ha ha mine is very ummmm...human friendly and quite possibly the most "human loving" horse I've ever come across. He loves to cuddle people. Adults are cool but if there is a kid around, he will bug them for cuddles instead. So much so that I get told almost daily how he bugs everyone on the yard for hugs and cuddles. He will put his head on your shoulder/nose in your face or shove his face into your body until you wrap yourself around his face. If something is wrong with him he wants even more cuddles and becomes super clingy (as opposed to just clingy).

But back to the original question....I do believe that we do annoy them just as I'm sure they annoy us (trust me the cuddles requests get super annoying at times)

ImmyS

Visit site
Ha ha mine is very ummmm...human friendly and quite possibly the most "human loving" horse I've ever come across. He loves to cuddle people. Adults are cool but if there is a kid around, he will bug them for cuddles instead. So much so that I get told almost daily how he bugs everyone on the yard for hugs and cuddles. He will put his head on your shoulder/nose in your face or shove his face into your body until you wrap yourself around his face. If something is wrong with him he wants even more cuddles and becomes super clingy (as opposed to just clingy).

But back to the original question....I do believe that we do annoy them just as I'm sure they annoy us (trust me the cuddles requests get super annoying at times)

Haha Finn is similar to this - I think it makes it harder to not over-interact with them when they are so friendly!! I guess they really all do have different personalities and I suppose like people their individual life experiences shape the way they see humans also!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine definitely found me annoying this evening when I was putting fly spray and cream on before putting them out and they were very keen to get out. You could practically hear "come on, get on with it woman".

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Mimosa and Arizona actively seek out humans. Milagra would probably be happy without seeing another person ever again but is always tolerant and mannerly.

Mimosa gets annoyed if the people don’t include her or try to put her in her place.

TwyfordM

Visit site
100% ?
I have a mare that’s actually pretty sweet, never tries to hurt anyone but the faces she pulls are either wrinkled up nose look of disgust or just plain eye rolling and sighing ??‍♀️?

ETA - people she likes/trusts are few and far between to be honest