Do you think I should charge or not?

Am I being a baby?

• Total voters

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I have been to the US learning dentistry. I am in the middle of my study's, and havent qualified yet.

I have a Speculum/gag, and hand rasps, (no power tools) I work within my limitations and I do a nice job.
grin.gif

I have been taking the sharp edges off of friends horses, and it takes me about 30 mins at a time to do.

For 4 rasps and a speculum, it has cost me about £1k and the training so far including flights has cost me about 10k to date.

I havent been charging to do this, because I need the practice and I am not fully qualified.

A friend I was speaking to today, said I should charge a small amount to cover the costs of re-sharpening blades etc....

What do you think
confused.gif
Would you pay a small amount to have your horses teeth rasped, or not? Any advice greatfully recieved.
grin.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
I wouldn't have a problem with a student, everyone has to learn somewhere. I was a student once and its quite upsetting when someone says I wouldn't let you near me!! Each vet dentist nurse etc etc was a student at some point in their career weren't they?
As for charging I would expect to pay a nominal fee for keeping your equipment or even a swift drink in the pub afterwards.

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I might do depending on the situation, I dont know much about EDT's but if you were under the supervision of a qualified EDT then I would pay a small fee yes, there's no better way to learn really is there?

mickey

Visit site
I would pay a small fee. But I wonder how this works from a legal standpoint - I mean with you doing a job, taking payment for it but not being totally qualified yet? What would happen if something were to go wrong?

bellaM

Visit site
Are you going to do your BEVA exams?
Personally knowing what I know about dentistry I wouldn't let you near my horse, without supervision, how long is your course? it not one of those 3 months jobs is it?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I thought it was illegal to do any dentistry without veterinary supervision, and/or BEVA EDT qualifications?
Are you insured? If not what will happen if you damage a horse whilst treating it?
Please don't tell me your doing that silly American three week 'qualification'? Please not!
S
smile.gif

emma69

Visit site
If someone was doing the work under supervision by an BEVA qualified person, then yes, I would pay a small charge. I would only do this if the person was insured, as accidents can happen, presumably this is covered under the fully qualified person who supervises?

bellaM

Visit site
Unfortuneatly anyone can pick up a rasp and claim to be an EDT, however only certain people can go below the gum line. Courses and course content vary too, for example you can do courses that last as little as a month there is the BAEDT and you have to do your BEVA exams to join.

mrsdoyal

Visit site
Hmmm. Like 1 or 2 of the others i'm a bit wary about anyone with american qualifications because there has been some bad press about "3 week courses". Getting a BEVA qualification would be a lot more acceptable (ive looked into the training courses and it seems reassuringly comprehensive).

Can you tell us why you have chosen to study in America? Surely for the cost of 10k (wow!) you could have studied over here??? It would be really interesting to know why you made this decision, what the benefits are of american training etc - perhaps it might help to clear up the wariness some of us have about the validity of american EDT course.

As for the student thing: yes, I would let a student practise on my horse (basic rasp, nothing more) because you have to get your learning & experience. I wouldnt pay you though - unless you were accompanied by a fully trained EDT.

Forgive us if we are wary about all this. Its just that we recognise that equine dentistry is a science that has a big impact on the performance and wellbeing of horses.

Off my soapbox now....
crazy.gif

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
Firstly the Academy of equine dentistry is a recognised school with thorough examinations and no, its not a 3 week course. You must do a year of study in order to take the exam, and then it is so thorough (I know this because whilst I was there there were exams in progress. They lasted 2 weeks and the examiners were Master dentists and a vet) that I dont think I will have enough experience to take it next year.

There were 6 vets doing the same course as me, and most of your BEVA dentists studied at the school.

Infact it was a BEVA vet that reccommended the school.

So justifications out of the way, of course I am insured. I wouldn't go near another horse without it.

mrsdoyal

Visit site
That clarifies that! I take my hat off to you then. I think its worth you writing an article/letter to H&H because there are people out there who have heard of "3 week courses" - maybe they exist but its a shame some bad press about these has affected some peoples overall conception of what studying as an EDT in America, in a bonafide institute, entails.

Your reply has certainly made a difference to my opinion.

Out of interest, why have most of our Beva dentists had to go to america to study? Is it more expensive here/lack of courses/training/standards?

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I believe its lack of training facilities. Also the Academy has a list for 2000 horses waiting to come in for dental work, such is its reputation. and the UK unfortunately cant rival this for hands on experience.

Your right though, anyone can call themself a EDT. There are only 2 recognised qualifications in the world BEVA and IAED, I am hoping to gain both. But I agree, it is frightening that people should even want to work on horses after 3 weeks training......... Brrr
crazy.gif
mad.gif

showjump2003

Visit site
Truthfully I wouldn't let a student do my horses teeth unless they were fully supervised by a qualified technitian. Just my personal view.

Solstar

Visit site
id let u do my horses teeth, and id pay you. everyone needs to start somewhere and unless you did an apalling job (which i doubt) id be quite happy.

ihatework

Visit site
I'd be happy for you to do my horses teeth but if I were to be paying I would expect you to be supervised by a fully qualified EDT.

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
well done casey1312. She is absolutely right, I would say about 85% of the BEVA EDTs trained at the Academy prior to getting their BEVA qualification.

It is worth remembering for you guys out there that an EDT can only get insurance if they have had proper training. That must tell you something.

I trained at the same place in Idaho and I have also done a BSc (Hons) in Equine Science and I can guarantee (sp?!) that the standard of practical the theory training in Idaho is second to none. The main reason for training in the USA also is that there are no restrictions (insurance wise) as to what you can do in training, where as here there is so you get a real good supervised hands on experience.

I know quite a few vets that have been sent to the Academy (paid for by their practices) for more dental experience. That must tell you something!

wishfulthinking

Visit site
I would prtobably let you do my horses' teeth and pay you, but only once you'd done the training as it were and then only on horses that I know have no big problems and are only in need of a standard visit.