Do you think it is unlucky to change a horses name??

hihosilver

Visit site
I usually keep the name but my mares name was dreadful so I changed it. She has been plagued with injury and now I am getting a new horse but don't really like his name. Any thoughts???:D:D:D

kerrieberry2

Visit site
no, old wives tale im sure! my horse was called Kelly originally, her pervious owner changed it to Kelsey, so I just kept her as that! Guess if you change it, keep it something that sounds similar!

Boxers

Visit site
I have changed horse's names before and have not 'changed their personality'.

A pony I had years ago was called Black Beauty which I hated and so I renamed him Bertie. i kept him for 2 years and the new owner kept his name of Bertie, but about 5 years on I saw him out hacking with another person who had changed his named back to Beauty because she thought it was bad luck to change a name.

millitiger

Visit site
Load of old codswallop!

I've changed lots of horses names and had no better or worse 'luck' with them than the ones who kept their original names.

dollymix

Visit site
I've changed horses names before... Would prefer not to but there was NO way we were going to keep calling a massive black colt Prancer!!!! Nothing horrif befell us or him by re-naming :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have no opinion either way but a friend of mine bought a horse and changed his name to Reef . . . had kissing spines and an SI problem so bad he was PTS . . . when she was ready she bought another horse . . . name on passport and registered BE name was Cuddles . . . she refused to change it and they've gone from strength to strength.

P

Lolo

Visit site
I don't like changing names if it changes the 'sound' of a name. I think, I spend my entire life being called Lottie and someone decides to start calling me Charlotte I get really confused and often don't react until they make it clear it's me. And that's just between my real name and nickname! So I would change a name, but only if it sounded essentially the same.

So we did rename the very solid, plain, skewbald cob mare (hogged out and everything- she was a proper mini heavyweight!) from Cindy to Cinders. But wouldn't have called her something drastically different, like Mary (for example- she would have suited Mary!).

PandorasJar

Visit site
My friends was changed and has been very healthy, no problems.
I'd have no worries changing them.

Test for me is to call their name. Ours respond individually so wouldn't change or would have to be a similar sound. If no response I'd have no problem doing so. I'm not superstitious in the slightest though... Worst thing that came from smashing a full length mirror over myself about a decade ago was a big old cut on my leg. So a horse's name change? Not fussed :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
On reflection, I wouldn't have dreamed of changing Kal's name and I neither like nor dislike it, it's just his name and what he answers to . . . however I did jump at the chance to make up a poncy name for him . . . hence PolarSkye, but it isn't his "given" name.

Also, he has so many nicknames that I wonder what value a name has . . . he is called KaliBear, Bear, Pops, PopPop, Bubs, Bubba and answers to all of them. Interestingly, even though I refer to him routinely as GreyDonkey, I never use that name "to his face" if that makes sense . . .

P

Enfys

Visit site
No. If something is going to happen, it will regardless. I''ve changed names and had horses with no names that I have given names to. Often horses I have bred have been given new barn names.

Rebels

Visit site
Ive changed 2, no way was i going to have a young Tb called Bomber especially as he earnt it due to his weaning behaviour! He had both awful luck and brilliant luck.

Elsiecat

Visit site
It might be nonsense in terms of bad luck but I just think changing an animals name isn't nice!
Personally I couldn't change their names. Just in time when I gradually call them nicknames I'd refer to them as their nickname more.

TickyTavey

Visit site
I like to think I'm pretty rational and not superstitious... Would never change a horse's name though! Like others have said, gradually adapt it through nick names ;-)

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'm sure its superstitious but I've only ever changed names to something similar sounding, or called them by a nickname that has eventually stuck & become permanent.

maree t

Visit site
We have been thinking about it. One of the new ones is called star. she is a coloured mare with a huge blaze so why was she called that ?? daughter wants to change to bubbles but she is well known in the area as star.
Just got the passport on a new dartmoor pony called pickles turns out her passport is Beauty. so what do we call her ? Pickles has stuck now !!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have done it twice, but both by mistake!

First pony was called Symba. Went to view him he was lovely. Got his passport on the day I collected him and his passport name was Terry! Called him Symba though.

New boy was advertised as Ben. Loved him but Ben was a bit plain and didnt suit him so I called him Benji. Same as before, picked him up and collected his passport and he was called Kodie! Hated that so I had it changed on the passport. xx

Shantara

Visit site
If I didn't know him so well already, I would change Ned's name! It just suits him so well now :p Although, now he's looking a bit more handsome, I should called him Edward! Reminds me too much of Twilight now though :\

ShadowFlame

Visit site
I don't believe in the "bad luck" thing, however it can make tracing horses difficult if they go by 10 different names. It's quite handy for being put in touch with old owners and finding out about history. I considered changing my boy's, but having gotten to know him it really quite suits him :eek:

tinap

Visit site
Ours had a name change. It doesn't bother me at all. I would change a name if it came with something horrid - I usually give them nicknames anyway! If it came to call to a rubbish name I would try & pick something that sounded like it xx