Do you think my horse is too cheap?

rubyrumba

Visit site
Horse quest ad ref 29691.
I only advertised her yesterday and I've had a lot of interest and quite a few idiots ringing.
Do you think she's that cheap that it'll make all the numpties ring?
Thanks

9tails

Visit site
I don't think she's cheap, but she sounds like a very easy horse. Leave for a week, comes to call, not mareish, etc. I'm sure she is easy in the right hands, but the numpties that ring are generally unaware that they are too inexperienced to get the best out of a youngster.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Cor she's lovely. I would say she is very keenly priced to sell with her breeding and a great opportunity for someone. Shame you are selling her.

BigRed

Visit site
I saw the advert, but I was put off by the hock operation, which is presumeably the reason she is so cheap. At that price, you are bound to attract a broad spectrum of people.

rubyrumba

Visit site
That's why she is cheap as people are going to be put off but really shouldn't be as many people vet horses and don't have them x-rayed, she has a clear set of x-rays and her hock will never bother her again.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
It is only in this country that people would be put off by OCD ops, which is slightly ridicolous...they do them all the time in Holland/Germany they are a pretty much run of the mill operation when they are 2/3 years old! Doesnt stop the horses being sold for big sums of money as a 4 year old tho! & so they should be- they are absolutely fine afterwards

rubyrumba

Visit site
It is only in this country that people would be put off by OCD ops, which is slightly ridicolous...they do them all the time in Holland/Germany they are a pretty much run of the mill operation when they are 2/3 years old! Doesnt stop the horses being sold for big sums of money as a 4 year old tho! & so they should be- they are absolutely fine afterwards

Exactly! Just as my vet said!

lannerch

Visit site
I think she's a bit cheap too, if the ocm is not there anymore does it need mentioning or is there still a risk?
Unbroken the price would be about right

dieseldog

Visit site
She's been for sale for a while, how much was she on at before? I can see one advert at £2,950, if you couldn't sell her at that price she's not too cheap.

rubyrumba

Visit site
I tried selling her last year unbroken for a bit more but she has only been on since Wednesday so not for sale for long at all.

rubyrumba

Visit site
Also I feel the OCD needs mentioning in the ad as it will put some people off and I don't want people ringing unnecessarily.

lannerch

Visit site
It only needs mentioning now or at any time if it could be a problem in the future if it is totally gone no need. Do not know the ins and outs of OCD did Milton not have it though in his youth?
You would not dream of mentioning every ailment the horse had suffered.
Unless like navicular or laminitis it is liable to be a future problem I would only mention it if asked putting it like you have makes it sound a bigger problem than I suspect it is.
It is not uncommon but have you ever seen it mentioned on an advert before

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site

This!

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
It only needs mentioning now or at any time if it could be a problem in the future if it is totally gone no need. Do not know the ins and outs of OCD did Milton not have it though in his youth?
Unless like navicular or laminitis it is liable to be a future problem I would only mention it if asked putting it like you have makes it sound a bigger problem than I suspect it is.

And this..!!

rubyrumba

Visit site
So at what point should I say? I'm too honest and wouldn't want people travelling miles to see her and then find out and think bad of me for not telling them and wasting their time.

rubyrumba

Visit site
Also I asked a dressage trainer to advertise her for me and she said she couldn't offer her to any clients due to the OCD which I know is ridiculous but that's what you're against!!

Suziq77

Visit site
I'd seen her advert on horsequest before I saw this thread and I thought she looked lovely but very cheap. I'm not actually looking for another horse, I'm just addicted to looking at horsequest! However, for what it's worth (probably nothing) I think that if I was looking then I would have called to talk to you about why she is so cheap if there hadn't been so much detail in the advert.

If you don't mention the OCD you may get people calling who recognise what she is and realise there must be a reason why you have set the price at that level who will then start to think through it and realise that as said above this is pretty normal for horses in Europe. Sometimes the desire to be 100% open and honest comes across as protesting too much?

She really does look lovely and I hope you find someone who will appreciate her.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
An incredibly honest advert, the fact you have mentioned it wouldn't put me off whatsoever, I'd take that kind of advert any day over someone who doesn't tell you unless you ask ;)

I have passed her details on to a friend, I hope she finds a lovely home - she's really quite lovely.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
Im having an issue with horse prices at the moment with the current market. I am selling my show jump/ event type mare. Well bred, sold with blue chip ride, ect having alot of calls but from people who arnt buying till summer or want her for like half her price! Its very frustrating!

rubyrumba

Visit site
I am very honest and open and I'd rather be upfront about anything bad which I have said in the ad. If only more people were like me perhaps the horsey world would be a better place! So many deceitful people that sell dodgy horses or lie abouts things!

YasandCrystal

Visit site

Sorry to say - I showed the horse ad to an experienced dressage rider and she said she wouldn't touch her with her with a barge pole. Harsh but she said that in her experience OCD has a poor prognosis and high risk of future problems and you wouldn't want to breed from her either.

rubyrumba

Visit site
That is the uks view on it. We recently went to Carl Hesters yard and one of his had just had a chip removed. Many horses at the top have had it. It will not cause her any further problems and she can be bred from. My extremely experienced vet had said all of this :)

MiaBella

Visit site
At the end of the day though a horse is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Pricing too cheaply and you have to filter through all the unsuitable purchasers, price too high and people won't want to take a risk.

OCD op will mean exclusion for OCD going forwards, and possibly other hock issues. Not such an issue on the continent where insurance doesn't work quite the same way, but over here that is a consideration for many people. Some research finds that a minority of horses with OCD will develop OCD in another joint (most commonly in the bilateral joint).

OCD is hereditry, so any breeding worth is devalued. (Hannovarian society won't grade a stallion with OCD lesions, nor give a mare elite status, don't know about the other stud books).

Of course many horses have the OCD op and have no further issues (although there seems to be a question mark over bone spavins and OCD links).

You can have the op and not tell anyone (difficult here when vets pass details on to the next vets) but sometimes you can see the signs on x-rays of previous ops (depending on joint etc).

So you have a few facts that will bring her optimum value down, her OCD op, she is chesnut and a mare (also no ridden pic on her advert which will put others off).

If you have her priced cheaply (as you do) you are more likely to find a buyer, it depends if you need to recoup any costs in selling her as to whether you can afford to do that or if you need her sale money to purchase a new horse.

If you put the price higher you narrow the potential purchasers list down but you might still find a buyer, its a bit of a black art.

rubyrumba

Visit site
At the end of the day though a horse is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Pricing too cheaply and you have to filter through all the unsuitable purchasers, price too high and people won't want to take a risk.

OCD op will mean exclusion for OCD going forwards, and possibly other hock issues. Not such an issue on the continent where insurance doesn't work quite the same way, but over here that is a consideration for many people. Some research finds that a minority of horses with OCD will develop OCD in another joint (most commonly in the bilateral joint).

OCD is hereditry, so any breeding worth is devalued. (Hannovarian society won't grade a stallion with OCD lesions, nor give a mare elite status, don't know about the other stud books).

Of course many horses have the OCD op and have no further issues (although there seems to be a question mark over bone spavins and OCD links).

You can have the op and not tell anyone (difficult here when vets pass details on to the next vets) but sometimes you can see the signs on x-rays of previous ops (depending on joint etc).

So you have a few facts that will bring her optimum value down, her OCD op, she is chesnut and a mare (also no ridden pic on her advert which will put others off).

If you have her priced cheaply (as you do) you are more likely to find a buyer, it depends if you need to recoup any costs in selling her as to whether you can afford to do that or if you need her sale money to purchase a new horse.

If you put the price higher you narrow the potential purchasers list down but you might still find a buyer, its a bit of a black art.

When a horse has OCD, they x-ray all of the other joints, if they haven't had it by 18 months then they will not get it, sometimes it just isn't found until much later on.
My vet has done extensive work in Holland/Germany and there is no proof that it is hereditary yet, they still actually don't know the cause. He also stated that unless a very experienced vet looked at her x-rays you wouldn't be able to tell!

Chestnut and a mare? That is an old wives tale and that's as far as it goes, what a load of rubbish!

Also there is a video of her being ridden so surely that's better than a picture??