Do you think she'll be early?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My friend's maiden mare is due in two weeks. She started bagging up 3 - 4 weeks ago. Now it feels very firm to the touch, though no waxing as yet but the last two days her vulva has got long and very relaxed. Her tail head is dipped and soft too. Do you think she will be early? We need to put her on straw before she foals but I didn't want to do it too soon as I hate straw bedding due to the smell and the amount of waste.

Enfys

Visit site
Get the straw ready.

If she is a maiden she may not wax or run milk at all, have you taken a few drops? What colour/consistency is it?

Good luck.:)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks. She doesn't like us touching her udder but owner has been doing it every day for a while. I don't think we would be able to get anything out! Will have a go though.

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
this is my mare due 11th April (pics taken today at 324 days gestation)

002.jpg

003.jpg

here's her history:
1st foal covered 5th may 02 born 12th april 03 - 2 days late
second foal covered 15th June 03 born 13th May 04 (due date was 20th may) 7 days early
third foal covered 30th june 04 born 20th may 05 (due date 4th june) 14 days early
fourth foal covered 10th july 05 born 24th june 06 so was 9 days late
fifth foal covered 24th JUly 06 born 6th june 07!! (due date 29th June!) so went 23 days early
sixth foal covered 3rd july 07 born 23rd May (due date was 8th June) so 16 days early

Her milk is yellowish with some clouding. Her vulva is long and relaxed now and has been for almost a week (could have been ealier than with a maiden though as she's had foals previously), she's soft round her tail bone but feels a little tight still at the croup. Given her belly shape and uneven bag i think there's some time left to go here even with having had 4 of 6 foals early. Just to maybe give you a bit of comparison for your friends mare.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks for that. I had another good look at her earlier and her vulva doesn't look quite so slack, if that's possible! She is very contentedly munching her haylage, so don't think it will be tonight. Will have a chat with the owner tomorrow and maybe get the straw bed in.