Do you travel with tack on?

_jetset_

Visit site
I am hoping to start taking Grace up the road in the horsebox so we can avoid the roads when hacking and I was wondering whether anyone travelled their horses with their saddles or bridles on? I was just thinking it would make it a bit easier when getting ready.

Sparklet

Visit site
I often travel with saddle, breastplace, boots etc if the journey is short but draw the line at a bridle...it would be too easy to get it fastened onto something. I put the bridle on when I get there.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I have metal pegs to hold the partitions in place so I never travel with a bridle on, but have always been happy to travel with saddle on for short distances. Put a cover on it though as they can scratch quickly!

_jetset_

Visit site
If you travel with a saddle, do you put a cover on it?

So could I travel her (it is literally a 5 minutes journey... we usually hack to the area) with a saddle and breastplate on?

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh, and can anyone recommend a cover for an Albion dressage saddle as the one I have is a bit old and thin
blush.gif

Tangaroo

Visit site
I get lovely fleece saddle covers from ebay. They are quite thick and stay in place really well.

seche

Visit site
For Hunting - YES - soon as the boys know theyre going it would be impossible to even try!
For going to the forest / gallops - Yes - as its 10 mins away
but for anything longer no.

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
I travel my boy with his saddle on everywhere he is slightly cold backed and seems to work !!

I have a red albion saddle cover at home (left by a livery) if you want it ??

flyingfeet

Visit site
I never travel tacked up, but that's because my saddle is too expensive and one of my horses has sweet itch and would merrily destroy his bridle.

I might consider it if the horse was a pig to tack up once you are there.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Yep especially for lessons and hunting as much quicker to do it at home then just unload the horse. I travel fully tacked up and have never had any problems in lorry or trailer. I have an expensive saddle never been scratched and none of my tack has been broken. If travelling further than 20 minutes would tack up at event.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone...

StaceyTanglewood, I have one of those but they are not very thick and I was thinking of something much thicker to protect the saddle when I am doing this
smile.gif
But thank you so much for the offer
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
definitely all tacked up for hunting- a nightmare to tack up there- for hunting we usually have rug on over saddle but never had problems with bridles attatching for anything.

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone...

StaceyTanglewood, I have one of those but they are not very thick and I was thinking of something much thicker to protect the saddle when I am doing this
smile.gif
But thank you so much for the offer
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally put a summer sheet over the top !!!

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, I don`t travel with tack on, as I have a trailer and the partition stays in. I have 2 expensive saddles and I am very vigilent with them and with the height of the partition they would be squashed against it and also be very uncomfortable for the horse with it pressing in its sides. Also, I think that the horses are more chilled with just a headcollar on, (and travel boots of course) more relaxed and nothing can get caught up on anything.
This is just my opinion.
I used to have a lorry, but even then still travelled without tack.

Lvrees

www.supergroom.co.uk
I have a lorry and quite often travel tacked up if I am going to club which is 2 minutes down the road, generally when I'm competing I'll go untacked as I want to keep him as clean as possible!! I have taken him jumping in the evenings tacked though as its such a hassle when we get there. Always tack up before going hunting, as soon as we arrive I can barely stand on the box with him to take boots off let alone tack him up!!

I'm lucky enough my partitions in my lorry are large enough to tack up in, and theres plenty of room, so dont actually take him off the box to tack up which is easier to me!

lar

Visit site
Only for one particular very short journey (my yard to the next one up the road) and then only if time is a bit tight - or like last month when I bottled hacking up to this particular venue (I didn't want to get caught in a thunderstorm) and managed to cadge a lift. Pone was already tacked up so didn't seem much point untacking him.

diggerbez

Visit site
i wouldn't but my horse breaks headcollars for fun so no doubt bridle would last 2 minutes!! have a look on ebay for ideal saddle company saddle covers- they are nice and fleecy and would prob be pretty cheap?