Do you use a noseband when first riding the babies?

Illusion100

Visit site
So mine was started on the ground without a noseband for the backing process, in both lunging (including jumping) and long lining. In the photos I was sent of the first time he was leant over/sat on he had a Micklem on. I asked if he had a Micklem on for any particular reason, answer was no.

So I've lunged/long lined without a noseband on, he's never opened his mouth to resist contact. First time I sat on him, he was in a headcollar and led around just fine. 2nd time I got on (with bridle), I was to do the leg and hand aids but with someone holding his head 'just in case'. All went well.

Thing was I was just going to ride him that time without a noseband but was told I was crazy, so stuck a loose cavesson on him. Personally I'd have been happy to ride without it as I've seen no need for one and I reckon if a baby is going to throw a strop, a noseband wouldn't do much to prevent it nor dramatically alter the outcome.

In truth, I didn't want to put it on at this stage as it was the 'let's have a little walk, go left and right, practice halt and have an easy relaxing time' etc under minimal pressure and with no thought of introducing an outline. This is also what I plan to do for the next few 'sits'.

Anyone else share my thoughts on this, or am I crazy? When do you put a noseband on and why?

Last edited:

Casey76

Visit site
Mine was started in a cavesson noseband, for no other reason that it came with the bridle. It's fastened loosely enough that you can see daylight round all of it, and it certainly doesn't impact his ability to open his mouth.

Blitz has always had a very quiet mouth, and his tack consists of a bridle and saddle (no martingale/hunting collar etc). I have no idea why people use a flash on babies.

My old cob went without a noseband at all for several years as that is what he went best in (as a headshaker), later I had to add a very loosely done up cavesson again to hand his nose net from when his headshaking got worse.

Goldenstar

Visit site
So mine was started on the ground without a noseband for the backing process, in both lunging (including jumping) and long lining. In the photos I was sent of the first time he was leant over/sat on he had a Micklem on. I asked if he had a Micklem on for any particular reason, answer was no.

So I've lunged/long lined without a noseband on, he's never opened his mouth to resist contact. First time I sat on him, he was in a headcollar and led around just fine. 2nd time I got on (with bridle), I was to do the leg and hand aids but with someone holding his head 'just in case'. All went well.

Thing was I was just going to ride him that time without a noseband but was told I was crazy, so stuck a loose cavesson on him. Personally I'd have been happy to ride without it as I've seen no need for one and I reckon if a baby is going to throw a strop, a noseband wouldn't do much to prevent it nor dramatically alter the outcome.

In truth, I didn't want to put it on at this stage as it was the 'let's have a little walk, go left and right, practice halt and have an easy relaxing time' etc under minimal pressure and with no thought of introducing an outline. This is also what I plan to do for the next few 'sits'.

Anyone else share my thoughts on this, or am I crazy? When do you put a noseband on and why?

I am old fashioned and when young horses started hacking out in standing martingales was the norm .
A standing martingale correctly fitted is a great thing with the young horse it can just save you if things go wrong as they can because you can't manage every thing when you first go out into the big wide world .
On the micklem I love these with youngsters because you can lunge from the nose ring and unclip it lunge line and be on the horse quickly with minimal fuss .
However you can't use a standing mart with them so I am aware I am contradicting myself .
I think it good not to be very precious with youngsters and they learn sometimes you do this and sometimes you wear that so they learn just to get on with stuff .
That way they don't end up like one of ours who had a melt down when we changed the saddle cloth colour .

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My view is the less on them the better. My little mare hates her micklem, although I haven't tried it again since she had her teeth done as she's having time off due to my injury. But the only reason I used the micklem was because of the easy lunging option. However, she spent her entire time shaking her head and so I actually backed her in a rope halter. I intend to restart her in the spring, again in the rope halter and then, if she still doesn't like her micklem, she will have a normal bridle without a noseband to start with.

LeannePip

Visit site
i started both of mine in a usually cavesson bridle - no reason really other than they were going to have to wear one at some point anyway! I find it better not to baby them too much others you may just run into more problems further down the line

AngelitoCaz

Visit site
My youngster was backed without a noseband simply as I took it off when bitting her so I wasn't faffing and could put it on over the headcollar, and it never went back on. She is now ridden in a loose drop noseband which was to discourage her opening her mouth when she went through a tantrum stage she now prefers it to a caverson so it's stayed on

Nudibranch

Visit site
No, always started mine without nosebands. Makes things easy when introducing the bridle initially, and as I've never used anything other than a cavesson I've just popped it on at a later date. Current 4 yo has worn his for a few months, but it is purely cosmetic.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I backed my ex broodie without a noseband, she's never needed one so is still without. Shes in a french link snaffle, headstall bridle and a saddle and thats it. She's been backed just over a year now and we go out and about all over the place hacking with no problems.

happyclappy

Visit site
I never use a browband on anything. My baby does not use one, but was fitted with one temporarily just so she knew what it was if ever she did need to wear one.

minkymoo

Visit site
Yes I did but only because I wanted to do dressage and he would need to wear one without having a strop about it.

It's very loose and doesn't really do anything, but it's purely on for aesthetic reasons.

rara007

Visit site
Start start with a head piece over a headcollar no noseband (due to bulk!) then move onto cavesson and then drop when schooling on :)

Orca

Visit site
No noseband over headcollar while bitting, standard cavesson after that. One needed a flash too, eventually. To me, a bridle isn't complete without a noseband.

Similarly, for me, standard, basic tack has always included breastplate and running martingale and still does to this day!

The wife

Visit site
No. All of our breakers were initially started with a headcollar and a bridle without a noseband. A simple cavesson was only introduced after they were ridden away and the headcollar removed - not for any particular reason other than habit/tradition (Years of starting racehorses for the track) we only added a loose fitting cavesson because I personally think they 'finish' the head off nicely and I always used to think that when the noseband was added it was time for said horse to go home.

All personal preference. The horses destined for the racetrack obviously never wore nosebands, however the one thing they all had in common regardless of if it were a 2yo tb colt or a 5 year old cob, they all wore a bib martingale! Safety first above the need for gadgets.

My biggest bug bear and one that I hate to see still is nosebands done up too tight or flashes, grackles, drops etc on horses that are in their first few months of being ridden away. They need to learn what is comfortable and how to relax the jaw and have a good old chomp on the bit, none of this can be done when the mouth is strapped shut - plus most breakers are likely to have teeth coming through, leading to discomfort in the jaw and potentially pain.

TelH

Visit site
When first bitting a baby I don't because it's easier, but by the time they are at the backing and riding stage I use a cavesson- done up loosely it doesn't have any effect, no noseband always looks like there is something missing to me and mine are all destined for the show ring where a noseband is a necessity anyway.

catkin

Visit site
Depends.
My little welsh cob wore a loose cavesson noseband from the day she was backed - for some reason it signals 'work' to her so she'd get into the groove for the session. She'd been extensively longreined beforethis point, firstly off a light cavesson, then only much later when she knew what it was all about from the bit so she understood the action. Riding away I often use a second set of reins onto a wide noseband.

Last edited:

Charlie007

Visit site
I worked for a welsh pony show judge and producer for 3 years, a number of years ago now!! We used the same tack from day one. We used a bridle with a cavesson noseband. We had a least ten ponies a year, sometimes more and never had any problems, but never thought about not using one!

Illusion100

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

A cavesson will end up on him at a later stage but for now I think I will just leave him without unless he needs it or until I start 'schooling' him at least. Will start putting it on for lunging and long lining sometimes though just for the sake of it. :)