Do you use a stronger bit for jumping?

Lill

Visit site
And a milder bit for flatwork??

Just curious as to how many people have 2 different bits or even 2 different bridles for flatwork and jumping. Am struggling with Blue's jumping in the bit we are using at the moment!

KatB

Visit site
I use the smae bit for dressage and Sj, as both "enclosed" and struggle to get forward enough most of the time! However, has a different, not really stronger, but different action bit for XC and hacking, and yet another one for bloodhounding only!! Prefer to change bits, than have to haul and fight with a milder one for all phases.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Each horse has around 4 bridles with different bits for different types of discipline. However I am a kleptomaniac....

I try and school in a dressage legal bit, but on one horse need to upgrade this when jumping if I want steering!

Emma123

Visit site
Out hacking, SJ, XC and everything but dressage competitions he's in a beval snaffle (sometimes called a loop ring?)

Dressage he's in a loose ring snaffle as your not allowed the beval snaffle! Like to keep it just for dressage otherwise he works out how to get away from me in canter
smirk.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
It depends on the horse tbh. My main horse is hacked, dressaged show jumped and XC'd in his KK, but i sometimes use a pelham on the others depending on what we are doing..

Law

Visit site
I use a german silver, chunky mouth loose ring snaffle with a lozenge for schooling and jumping but compete in a slightly stronger hanging cheek jeffries revolver bit.

BBs

Visit site
Depends on the mood of winston! but i can usually jump him in a kk snaffle! if not a universal instead.
Bertie never jumped in a snaffle!
Snoop jumps happily in a snaffle lol

kick_On

Visit site
yes i do, have a range i used for different job
Little horse
dressage - loose ring, losnge snaffle
showjumping - loose ring, waterford
hacking - fuller cheek, waterford
hunting - cheletham gag, with double reins

big horse
for everything except hunting- loose ring, losnge snaffle
hunting - cheletham gag

and in total i have 6 bridles to clean that's the downside!!!

siennamum

Visit site
Yes straight bar nathe cheek snaffle for dressage & dutch gag for jumping. tbh she seems to go equally well(or badly) in anything these days & the only bit of kit I wouldn't be without for jumping is her martingale.
Everything else has only one bit & one bridle - apart from Milly who needs a stronger bit with small people on board as she will dive for grass if at all possible (but then she is 11.2 & approx 30 yrs old so has learned a trick or two.....)

sunny123

Visit site
Sunny is in a loose ring for everything. Rik is in a hanging cheek for everything (although he goes well in any mild snaffle, you dont really need any bridle with him!) and roo and rum have snaffles for schooling, roo has a tom thumb for xc and rum has a pelham.

Always try to use something dressaage legal for flatwork, but you have to experiment abit to get it right!

Jemayni

Visit site
Sky is in an eggbutt for everything, Chance is in a copper lozenge snaffle for everything (apart from hunting!) I think if you need different bits for diff jobs you should use them, but both my horses are naturally behind the leg, to keep them in front of it they need mild bits in their mouths!

Abs

Visit site
Yes. French link snaffle for flatwork, Pelham for hacking, xc and jumping.

I don't have to change to the pelham, it's just a little easier on my arms after a while and I don't have to 'yank' when things get out of hand.

Iestyn

Visit site
Yes have done but actually thinking about jumping in a milder bit. I do however have a bridle for jumping and a different one for flat - I want him (if it's possible) to associate the different bridles with different jobs - a bit like stallions have a covering bridle and a ridden bridle. They are also different bits - again to differentiate between the 2 disciplines.

Nic

Visit site
Hack, school & stressage in a Kangaroo french link loose ring, jump in a *whisper (cover your eyes children - sweary word)* dutch gag

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I have a 'cross country' bridle which has a grackle noseband and a bubble gag.

Otherwise I showjump, dressage, school and hack out in a snaffle with a flash noseband. Will add a martingale for hacking and jumping just to keep her ears out of my mouth
wink.gif

Can't see the point of doing flatwork in anything other than a snaffle cos it isn't dressage legal anyway.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Each horse has around 4 bridles with different bits for different types of discipline. However I am a kleptomaniac....

I try and school in a dressage legal bit, but on one horse need to upgrade this when jumping if I want steering!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto!! Hackamore for hacking out/playing, Snaffle for dressage and schooling, pelham summer shows, Universal gag for SJ, each one has its own bridle
grin.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Yes, Mo has a KK Ultra Snaffle on an Elevator bridle for flat work & dressage, but a pelham with roundings for jumping. She can be jumped in the school in a snaffle but not advisable as she just gets stronger. The pelham works a treat as it gives her more tongue room. She has a long thick tongue which she likes to poke out the side! Bailey is hacked out & jumped in a gag but schooled in a snaffle. He is also the only one to ware a martingale. The others are happy in snaffles.

Lill

Visit site
Seems like a lot of people do then!!

I don't with Holly and never used to with Blue until more recently (past year or so) when his enthusiasm for jumping upped considerably
crazy.gif
and jumped him at home last night in a 3 ring snaffle mouthed gag
shocked.gif
with roundings on the first and second bubbles and he seemed to go very nicely, came straight back to me when i asked let me help him out with the jumps and he actually didn't try to ignore me!! SO will be jumping him in this tomorrow and see how we go round a course !
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
smirk.gif