Do you use fly mask

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I just bought one for my horse since she keeps getting eye infections and the vet recommended I get her fly mask to prevent the eye infections. So do you use fly masks

phizz4

Visit site
Yes, almost all of the summer unless it is very windy. One of our horses is very prone to conjunctivitis type eye infections without one.

wiglet

Visit site
I have several and use one most days. Think it’s important (if not obvious) to mention that unless you keep the mask clean, your horse will still be at risk of conjunctivitis. I found out the hard way hence I have lots of masks so they can be washed very frequently.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yes pretty much 24/7 when out. One likes the stretchy masks and the other seems to prefer the more rigid mesh type. My oldie in particular is prone to conjunctivitis caused by the flies if I don’t use one all the time.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Usually yes with two of them, the third one hates wearing a mask so not for her.

I also clean their eyes with clean water and cotton wool at least once daily, usually twice, mask or no mask. Once the eyes get infected the flies have a field day passing the infection on round the horses, so it's definitely best to try and avoid it in the first place.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I used to, but mine are out at night, and I found my mare looked like she eas struggling to see as she got older. Nowadays I use fly fringes.

SEL

Visit site
Yup. All 4 wear one and they're easy enough for them to dislodge if they don't want them on. My big boy will come and find me in the morning looking pathetic until I dig his out.

They all hate those little black persistent flies.

HashRouge

Visit site
I've got a Le Mieux Armour Shield on my 29 year old, which I like because visibility through it looks really good, and a Shires one on my other one. The one in the Shires mask wears it pretty much none stop because he's very hard to catch, so I can't ask my poor YO to lasso him every morning and put it back on (I do afternoons)! I do a visual check daily and take it off every few days. Not ideal I know, but he's awful to catch and he gets eye infections without, so it's the lesser of two evils!

planete

Visit site
I used to until I got a pony with a massive forelock down to his nostrils! Best flymask ever. Now I need to sell the collection I have from previous horses.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I do but the flies have not been that bad here so far this year I think it might be that we have sheep in the next field and I'm guessing they are all over there instead.

Ratface

Visit site
Yes, with detachable nose mask for when sun is fierce (horse has a pink nose, which burns easily) and one without, for duller days. Both regularly washed.

TheMule

Visit site
Yes- on first thing in the morning, off last thing in the evening, unless it,s rainy or very windy when there are few flies

Dexter

Visit site
No, I use a fringe if the flies are bad. I dont use fly rugs either since something got under one and started biting my horse sending him loopy. I hate that horses seem to be wrapped up 24/7 all year round.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I use a fly masks if they are out during the day. Always remove in the evening and put on fly repellent. Same with fly rugs.
Would never leave on overnight when unsupervised.

spacefaer

Visit site
Yes on the two that get runny eyes. One is particular about when/ if he's caught, tends to have his mask on at the beginning of the fly season and off at the end, unless I've managed to con him into being caught in the meantime. He loves his mask though and gets quite grumpy if he doesn't have it on in the summer.
My coloured doesn't seem to mind wearing one but is incapable of keeping it on, so I've given up with him. He just rolls it off every time.

smolmaus

Visit site
I left it off for 2-3 days as the weather was so awful and now she has rubbed her face and ears again so

She can also get it off if she really wants it off.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes, because if I don't he always manages to get conjunctivitis and rubs his face and/or ears.

He's worn it 24/7 before, and maybe it did impair his vision at night, I don't know, but he does know how to take it off so if he is that bothered then perhaps he would?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Yes, my boys wear one 24/7 when out in the summer. Full face masks. I have one horse who would literally put it on himself if he could. The other is a headshaker so it protects his eyes from bright sunlight and the nose part helps with the flies and the pollen.