Do you vaccinate your older horses.Discuss

merlin12

Visit site
Hi

In the past I have stopped annual vaccinations once my horses got older approx. 18 plus. I have always kept the tetnus up to date. My horses are hacks /pleasure horses. We don't hunt or show etc.

What do other owners do ?

Do horse build their own immunity as they get older?

Auslander

Visit site
I keep mine vaccinated. There's a big yard next door, with lots of horse traffic, and i'd hate to expose mine to anything airborne. If an older horse gets something nasty, they're going to struggle more than a younger fitter one to recover. Not saying that it's a bad idea, and if I had no neighbours, and my horses never had exposure to other horses, I'd probably just tet jab them.

blood_magik

Visit site
Mine is vaccinated.
We're on a large yard (100+ horses) with a lot of movement in and out so would rather be safe than sorry if someone brought something in.

Capriole

Visit site
I vaccinate all my horses, young to old. Even if my oldies never leave the field, the younger ones do and could bring something back, also we are near a bridlepath, and I'm not wanting to be risking flu for the sake of saving a few quid.

amandap

Visit site
Mine only get tetanus as we are in a very rural area and don't mix with other horses except the odd escapee visitor.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I do, though two probably could get away with not having a flu jab every year as they never leave home or meet any others. If we didn't it would just be my luck that it would be in the area and they's all manage to catch it.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I stopped vaccinating my girl in her mid 20s when it was obvious that the jabs were making her feel poorly for several days after. I asked the vet who said he was fine with it as she had "a lifetime of tetanus cover" washing around in her system and that the flu jabs didn't prevent them getting it, just mitigated the symptoms, and since virus' mutate constantly it didn't give much protection anyway.

ihatework

Visit site
I stop vaccinating all my older animals - horse/cats/dogs. The only exception to that is tetanus for the horse every other year.

Younger, working/competing horses get the full works - Flu/Tet/HRV

Ceriann

Visit site
I didnt do my two mares for years as they were more or less retired and had no contact with other horses (kept at my mum's and literally no horse traffic there). They were both fine. I now keep my horses at home with me and there is a lot of horse traffic, horses at every neighbouring house and my ridden mare gets out and about a lot, so i vaccinate all 3 (including my retired older mare who doesnt go anywhere).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We only vaccinate for tetanus. The most sensible, knowledgeable horse vet I've ever known used to say exactly what fatpiggy's vet said about flu.

amandap

Visit site
I stopped vaccinating my girl in her mid 20s when it was obvious that the jabs were making her feel poorly for several days after. I asked the vet who said he was fine with it as she had "a lifetime of tetanus cover" washing around in her system and that the flu jabs didn't prevent them getting it, just mitigated the symptoms, and since virus' mutate constantly it didn't give much protection anyway.
I used to do 2 yearly but dropped to three and am now going to disuss with the vet if they need tet. It is an awful infection though I believe and they don't show any negative effects from the jabs. Some careful thought needed along with advice and research. I haven't had a tet for years when I think about it!

MrsNorris

Visit site
I only used to do tetanus for the reasons fatpiggy said, but I'm now on a yard where flu is compulsory, so don't have a choice.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I only vac for flu because the yard states I must, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Funny enough my horses all had flu a couple of winters back and iv never seen horses so ill and I was very worried about my highland youngster who's temp was sky high and vet was keeping a close eye on him. All being up to date with jabs I asked why? Vet stated they can still get it!! So why bother. The vac may just stop them from getting it as bad. If I ever move to another yard I won't be bothering and actually see it as a waste of money.

Also I was refused to buy a lovely youngster round 4 years ago I guess, as I mentioned I had to start his vacs to them. They wouldn't sell him to me because of that reason! I was totally shocked at the time

Morgan123

Visit site
Yes, absolutely! I'm on a yard where many other people go competing and could well bring back a virus. If she got flu and wasn't vaccinated I'd be absolutely gutted with myself for letting her down for the sake of £30 or whatever my flu jab costs.

That said, the whole flu yearly jab thing is a bit of a farce anyway, let's face it, in terms of the yearly update and all the different strains and so on. I'll still do it though for the protection that it does give her.

STRIKER

Visit site
Agree with fatpiggy my vet also said unless gojng to shows they didnt need it and the virus changes all the time, keep tetanus uptodate

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Didnt give my horses protection, went through the whole lot in 3 days and vet was shocked how bad they were, do wonder what they would of been like without vacs and if they helped or not as I'm not convinced the vacs helped at all

catembi

Visit site
I kept my oldie's going & she lived til she was 40. I did ask the vet - keen to avoid unnec chemicals as I once unintentionally gave her colic worming with pramox & nearly PTS as she was ancient & I didn't realise there was a link between pramox & colic. Vet said that if I'd ever seen a horse with tet, then I'd want to keep vaccinating for it. Didn't seem much more hassle to keep up with the flu too.

I don't understand why people get 5-yearly tet, & then don't have to bother after (?) 5 in total, whereas it's so much more frequent for horses? I wonder whether it's a good source of regular revenue or whether there is a scientific need for so much jabbing?

T x

3OldPonies

Visit site
Yes, for flu and tet. All are over 26 years old now and I figure that they're immune systems won't be as good as when younger, and besides which why invite trouble? Also means we're fully covered should I go off on a flight of fancy and decide to enter a veterans class!!!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Once they get to their late 20s/early 30s no I do not vaccinate them anymore. It takes too much of a toll on their old bodies and the reactions to the vaccines at this age can be rather scary. I am almost completely sure that the annual vaccinations lead to the very quick demise of one 27 year old horse here and after that happened, there's no way I'd have another oldie vaccinated. All my vets agree with my decision and all came up with very good reasons for not doing them any more. If you are going to vaccinate older horses, giving a probiotic pre and post vaccination is a very good idea to help them through it.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Spring feather could u please list the reasons your vet gave for not doing them? I'm v interested in this. Although as iv posted already mine are up to date after suffering very bad flu with all mine down with it in a matter of 3 days I do wonder if I just waste my money vac them when they get it anyway. And as others have stated if flu has so many strains are we just vacs against just 1 strain? If so how many known strains are there? And the chances of picking up a strain that we don't vac for? I'm very interested in this I wonder if there's any vets on here

Spring Feather

Visit site
Mainly because of the stress it puts their body under. I run a closed herd of oldies and after the old horse rapidly went from totally healthy to dead 10 days post vaccination I did discuss vaccinations with the vets and they suggested running titres on the old horses. They suggested it messes up their hind gut and suggested that if I were to continue to vaccinate old horses that a good probiotic should be given pre and post vaccination to help them out. In the end I just decided to leave things alone and not vaccinate the real oldies. I still vaccinate the 20 year olds and up to around 25 years (depending on the breed) but the ones past that age, no I don't anymore.

Thistle

Visit site
I can no longer have routine tetanus boosters. Haven't had one now for over 20 years despite being with horses daily. This is on doctors advice following an extreme reaction to a booster. if I get a deep cut it may be necessary to have a vac but I'll deal with that as and when necessary.

atm my oldie has tet every 2 years but will make the gaps bigger as time goes on.

Nicnac

Visit site
I can no longer have routine tetanus boosters. Haven't had one now for over 20 years despite being with horses daily. This is on doctors advice following an extreme reaction to a booster.

I'm the same ^^^^and don't believe annual vaccs are necessary. However both horses are fully vaccinated because although kept alone at home they both compete. Young dog is done however oldie no longer vaccinated at all - this has just bitten me on the bum as I want to take him to have Hydrotherapy for his arthritis but dogs have to be fully vaccinated (which I understand). Off to buy a small swimming pool for the garden!

Marydoll

Visit site
Yes for flu and tetanus, i compete on mine so there is always the chance of inadvertently bringing something back, i wouldnt leave my oldies more vulnerable by not boosting them

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Thanks spring feather, two of mine are getting old now 20 and 22 so may be worth doing a pro supplement with them when they are due again.

Lottiedots

Visit site
I asked my vet recently about this as I have a mini Shetland that is just a companion. But he said even though I vaccinate my other two it is possible for them to pick something up when they are out and although they wouldn't be affected by it themselves they can pass the virus on to an unvaccinated horse. Chances are small I guess but worth thinking about.