do you vaccinate?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
now be honest ;)
i ask because the last 3 horses/ponies i have bought over the last few years have all had either no vaccs at all (from a riding school) or have had vaccs but are about 3 years overdue. so although everyone always claims to vaccs some obviously don't or perhaps just let it lapse if the have the horse up for sale:confused:
I only have mine done for tetanus as they don't compete and don't mix with other horses apart from the odd hack.

Capriole

Visit site
Yes I do vaccinate all of them, for flu and tet. The yearlings are only up to 2 of 3 as yet, but the one thats being sold will go with her third done, I wouldnt not have one done because they were leaving me.

The amount Ive had with no vaccs/lapsed history and had to start is annoying :)

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Yes, both flu & tet, even my retired boy still gets a flu jab even though I could prob drop that now for him. I'be seen too many horses in the past working as an equine nurse having to be pts from tet. Tet is only once every two years, its just not worth the risk not imo.

scrunchie

Visit site
Only for tetanus because mine don't mix with any other horses.

However, I might start vaccinating for flu next year as Saffy is going to start going to PC/RC events.

councillor

Visit site
Yes, but we are on a comp yard so loads of contact with other horses. Like you though all bar one of the last four horses I have bought had no record of vacs!!

Archiepoo

Visit site
it is worth it for peace of mind, i saw a horse with tet as a child and its so silly not getting them done, its not expensive and saves them suffering a totally preventable illness .

Bertolie

Visit site
My 19 year old is vaccinated for both Flu and Tet. We dont compete, but a few others on the yard do, and I have a health plan with my vets that includes all vaccs, teeth and worming so would be daft not to bother having the jabs done as its already paid for!

RealityCheck

Visit site
I vaccinate all my horses, including the foals when it's time for them.

I think the argument (not that I've seen it raised yet, but it has been elsewhere) that if a horse is retired or does not leave the barn, it has no need to be vaccinated is ignorant and asking for trouble.

Horses have a horrible habit of making trouble in seemingly impossible circumstances, why risk anything?

Orangehorse

Visit site
If you don't compete and rarely mix with other horses then it is certainly low risk as far as flu vaccination is concerned. All horses should be vaccinated against tetnus.
I vacinate for flu for my horse, who competes (although no one has ever wanted to inspect the passport for flu, or anything else) but his companion only has a tetnus jab.

LJN

Visit site
Mine is done for tet, flu and rino. The yard I keep him at organises them and lets me know when he is having them done. We have to have all the horses done as we travel to competitions every month, and some of the horses regularly go to the mainland to compete.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Tetanus, yes, always without a doubt, Flu no, my old horse developed a heart murmour post flu jab,,,, my vet is happy for me to only have Tet, in her opinion flu isn't life threatening and Tet is! X

CobsGalore

Visit site
Yes for Tet and Flu even though we don't compete or anything yet.

I even vaccinate my house cats who never go outside!

I think it's important to - if something happened you would never forgive yourself.

Taisypops

Visit site
I have always routinely had all my horses done for both flu and tetnus, however my wee mare came down with a bout of lami after having her last injection done.....now Im unsure what to do?? x

Littlelegs

Visit site
Yes, not worth the risk. Even when I've been skint, I've hacked to a big local yard so the call out was split between a few of us rather than miss it.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Dogs yes always, doing first jabs along are pointless, as they only last 18mths to 2 yrs...... there is parvo virus around and it's a killer, be very very careful XX

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Tetanus, yes, always without a doubt, Flu no, my old horse developed a heart murmour post flu jab,,,, my vet is happy for me to only have Tet, in her opinion flu isn't life threatening and Tet is! X

I would lay odds on that your vet is young!

Way before flu vaccine was brought out, I witnessed several horses seriously ill and left with problems after a bad outbreak of flu.

The reason that flu is not seen is because most people do have their horses inoculated against it.

Read about what happened in Australia a couple of years ago when equine flu was brought into the country, many many horses died as a result of infection. so for any vet to say it isn't life threatening would be reason for me to say "Cheerio" to them.