do you wear...

xXxTraversxXx

Visit site
gloves when you ride/ lunge or when you are around horses??? I ALWAYS have and it is what I have been taught from a very young age. However, yesterday I thought, for the hell of it, I would go w/o. Now I have the MASSIVEST (is that a word???) blister!! Are my hands THAt pathetic?
smile.gif
So, opinions, with or without???

eventingdiva

Visit site
i always ride with them (apart from this eve because they were still soaked from this morn!)
depends on the horse as to whether or not i do when lunging x

sorona

Visit site
Def without unless the horse is particulary sweaty or if it is raining. i hate wearing glvoes, i feel restricted. i rarely get blisers not wearing them and only wear them for extra grip on smooth reins. I did wear them whilst working with my weanlings though as i didnt want rope burn if they tanked off!

Ginn

Visit site
If its cold and wet then yes as my hands go numb and really hurt!!!

However, if its warm enough then no as I far prefer the feel I get down the reins without them.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I always hgave to wear gloves when riding or lunging. I had a couple of really bad bouts of eczma (sp?) and it's made them go all funny, if I don't wear gloves my hands go all funny again and rub.

Kat
xx

RobinHood

Visit site
I always wear gloves when riding as I have inner grip reins which would kill my hands, and I always wear them for lungeing because I've seen some very nasty burns and it's yard rules anyway.

_jetset_

Visit site
I always ride in gloves and it feels strange if I don't... although when I first started riding I hated wearing gloves, but then found the best pair ever and wouldn't do without them.

piaffe

Visit site
I have to be honest. I have only recently started wearing gloves when i ride. I dont like the feel of them as they are thick but then i dislike blisters even more!
Most of the time i just forget. but have got better as my hands are painful so am wearing gloves most of the time.

watcherathome

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I always hgave to wear gloves when riding or lunging. I had a couple of really bad bouts of eczma (sp?) and it's made them go all funny, if I don't wear gloves my hands go all funny again and rub.

Kat
xx

[/ QUOTE ]

It is probably the lanolin in your saddle soap setting them off.

I wear gloves to lunge, but only to ride on freezing days

allijudd

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
gloves when you ride/ lunge or when you are around horses??? I ALWAYS have and it is what I have been taught from a very young age. However, yesterday I thought, for the hell of it, I would go w/o. Now I have the MASSIVEST (is that a word???) blister!! Are my hands THAt pathetic?
smile.gif
So, opinions, with or without???

[/ QUOTE ]

always...i learnet very quickly what happens which is exactly wehat you have just described....

on the other hand we were picking up a pony which turned in the box, i jumped out ran to the trailer had him unattached by the time chris had got round the back(silly bugger had lent heavily on the partition and it sort of exploded over him as we were going round a tight bend)

i unteid him and held the rope, when the ramp went down he reversed straight out pulling me into the breach bar and ythe rope slid through both hands..blisters on both and unable to feel anything...i have never felt burning pain like it.....

result, my gloves are never far away......

L

lilym

the only time i wear gloves is for competing, i find that due to carpal tunnel i have numbish fingertips already and the feeling i do have is gone once i put gloves on, i've got tough skin on my hands anyway!

TGM

Visit site
I always wear gloves when lungeing, but rarely when riding unless I am competing. But it does depend on the horse - my mare is very light in her mouth and never, ever pulls so I really don't need gloves on her. But if I rode something stronger then I would probably wear gloves.

charlie76

Visit site
Always ride with gloves (thin ones are fine) as I get blisters without them.
ALWAYS lunge with gloves! and would advise everyone to. I was lunging a horse last month with gloves on (woof ones so not cheap) the horse spooked and pulled away pulling the lunge line(aerborn soft one) through my hands and ripped straight through the gloves and my skin causing blood and a huge blister- very painful- if it had been a cheap nylon lunge line reckon it would have cut straight through and needed stitches- ouch!

icklechlo

Visit site
i find that if i wear gloves a lot then dont wear them my fingers get sore, but i hardly ever ride in gloves, only at shows etc, or in the winter when it gets really cold and wet, theres nothing worse than trotting home from a hack with slipperly reins!

muffinino

Visit site
Always wear gloves for lunging as I've been taught but usually only wear gloves for riding if it's really cold. Always wear gloves when I'm driving'holding driving horses as it gives you grip and helps protect your hands from being bitten!