do your horses wear boots in the field?

lukeylou

Visit site
views?...if yes which boots?

my IDX wears over-reach boots, and brushing boots if it's icy/snowy, but i loath it because they get soaked through and destroyed!

kezimac

Visit site
she does but not really for protection as such - she has the bioflow magnetic brushing boots - they on hinds at night and fronts during day to help arthritis

d_s

Visit site
yup

o/r boots, brushing boots on front and roma neoprene sports boots on back...

i want some better o/r though as ive had to try to stop using them as they have rubbed

soon she will be wearing magnetic stable boots if she is in all day or after a competition...

Nickles1973

Visit site
My boy wears over reach boots and splint boots every time he's turned out. (everyday) I dread to think how many shoes he'd lose if he wasn't wearing the over reach boots. (Lost one again today in the mud on a bank holiday weekend, marvelous!) And he's worn the splint boots ever since he gave himself a huge splint last summer, I don't want to take the chance on him knocking it again.

wizbit

Visit site
used to boot mine up to the eyeballs, frequently came in with cuts and scrapes, got a bit fed up with it after the last vets bill so decided to whip his shoes off instead :D hurrah, no more cuts and money saved all round :D (also, ned very happy without shoes just to clarify)

dwi

Visit site
I was turning out Lil in overreach boots to be extra cautious but she kept ripping them off so I decided she'd have to live without.

I don't like turning out all day in brushing boots as i worry about getting mud and grit in them and it causing a rub.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Overreach boots for Sid as he over reaches a lot nothing else as im not a fan off brushing boots when its wet as the ones Ive had for sid always get mud n grit stuck under them and irratate his legs so just over reach boots!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
no! no boots on any horse! but if a livery wants a horse turned out in boots then it is priced accordingly! Surely at some point the horse has to be responsioble for its feet and legs? i havent any so precious!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
QR - Absolutely not, since T's suspensory ligament injury I have been told by my vet NOT to boot my horse if possible and to use bandages where necessary. A lot of problems can be caused by boots rubbing and overheating legs so it is no longer something I would ever consider. I also travel him in just over reach boots.

DressageDiva1983

Visit site
oh god yes, my horse could injure itself in a padded stable! o/r boots and leg wraps on fronts if out alone and hind brushing boots as well if in company. he needs wrapping in bubble wrap!

monkeybum13

Visit site
Not if they're out in the field, I'm paranoid about their legs getting too hot, the first thing I do when I come back froma ride is whip boots off! (obv not the case if using over reach boots). In the field Lace is quiet and she doesn't brush or over reach.
Sometimes I'll pop brushing boots on Lace if she's going in the play pen as she's likley to have a buck and a kick and she's not out there for a long time.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Used to wear turnout boots as horses kept jumping into his field and kicking him (he obviously screams 'victim') but found that they made his legs hot/sweaty in summer and got coated with mud that wouldn't dry for a few days in winter.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Over reach boots if its disgustingly muddy - as she tends to spend a couple of hours charging up & down the fence line. Never loosing a shoe, but often loosening them so they come off when I ride/lunge.

I put brushing boots on if its the first time out after box rest for the first 2 weeks, and thats usually starting with 30mins turn out/1 hr then building up, so they aren't on for long.

On the whole though, I don't.

JoJo_

Visit site
I used to when I first got Tia but my YO turns her out in the morning for me and said she is too impatient when putting her boots on so turned her out without and said she probably finds they rub due to being a pink skinned skewbald (not sure if that was why she wouldnt stand still, she is just eager to get out in the morning in my experience). I just went with it and havent had any problems with her being out bootless. She doesnt have any conformation issues which require boots and when I school I usually only use brushing boots on hinds just incase of any knocks.

Catcus

Visit site
No way, I can imagine how much they'd rub once the mud and grit got underneath them! I thought about it when putting a new horse out, but realistically didn't think it would make any difference if he got kicked.