Dodgy backs and dressage positions?

Saucisson

Visit site
My spine is very curved at the bottom (curved to the front). It's something I have my Mother to thank for due to her un-dressage rider like conformation.

I saw a video of me massacring a dressage test this weekend and realised how silly I look. I just look like I'm sticking my boobs out one way and my ass out the other.:eek:

I do realise that my short stature and stumpy legs do mean that I will never be selected by the Spanish riding school in Vienna but I would be very interested to hear from other people who have this issue and if anyone has any good ideas of making the best of a rider with bad conformation :D

I try and suck my stomach back towards my spine to flatten my back but judging by the vid - it isn't making a huge difference.

Thank you in advance for suggestions (please don't suggest PTS or meatman, I've got a lot to give yet :D)

BBP

Visit site
I do the same thing, although for me it's just bad habit rather than conformation! The best I can suggest is stretching. Obviously you can't change how your spine is built, but the muscles that act on it can either help or hinder. Most of the time people with desk jobs or who sit a lot develop quite shortened hip flexor and quadricep muscles at the front of the hip and thigh. These muscles are meant to help flex the hip and lift the knee up, but when you set your leg, they will start to pull downwards on the front of the pelvis, giving you that butt out position! The lower back muscles then get tight and exacerbate the problem.

I would stretch your hip flexors and quadriceps and maybe lower back every day, but especially before you ride, to relax them so they are not giving such a strong contract signal. Then work on strengthening the opposing muscle groups - these are the glutes, lower abdominals and 'core' muscles. A good gym instructor should be able to show you stuff for this, and it really does help!!!! (Stirrup bar position helps or hinders too)

vicky_sut

Visit site
Doing some pilates classes might help with strengthening your core muscles. Have a look at Joni Bentleys website there are some intersting articles on there about how we sit and how some horses push us one way or the other.
Defo a decent saddle that suits you as well as the horse can make a big difference. My old boss had a devoucoux dressage saddle and it just put you in the right position.

canteron

Visit site
Sounds like you have got the stomach thing right (someone once described it as imagine you are about to sneeze and all your stomach muscles are tense).

Then, keep your shoulders back BUT imagine your boobs are headlights. The mustn't be on full beam (pointing up) or dipped (pointing down) but straight ahead.

So thats it, about to sneeze with headlights on neutral. Easy???!!!

skewby

Visit site
Do you mean you have a sway back? So do I but it doesn't cause me any problems, don't like the sound of you sucking your stomach in you just don't want any tension below your waist IMO, not a matter of conformation??

Saucisson

Visit site
Thanks for your ideas. I would love to try pilates but struggling to find a class in the vicinity. I don't think yoga is the answer - I am freakily flexible and generally don't get a lot out of it (it isn't normal for a 37 year old woman to be able to do a backbend and touch knees with nose - OH aint complaining though :D).

I will remember the "headlights". Maybe this is the problem, I need to "grow taller" aswell as putting my shoulders back?

Saucisson

Visit site
Doing some pilates classes might help with strengthening your core muscles. Have a look at Joni Bentleys website there are some intersting articles on there about how we sit and how some horses push us one way or the other.
Defo a decent saddle that suits you as well as the horse can make a big difference. My old boss had a devoucoux dressage saddle and it just put you in the right position.

That sounds like a saddle worth having! It is true about being pulled around - on this occasion I was riding OH's mare who does have a tendancy to pull me forwards.

Saucisson

Visit site
Do you mean you have a sway back? So do I but it doesn't cause me any problems, don't like the sound of you sucking your stomach in you just don't want any tension below your waist IMO, not a matter of conformation??

I'm not sure what a sway back is? :eek: I do have problems with it if I'm stood up for a long time.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I also have a curved spine.

The saddle is everything - for example the Wintec Isabell puts you in a fantastic position if you slouch your pelvis back as it tips you forwards. If you have a back like mine it exaggerates the problem (and leaves me unable to walk). I now have a much flatter seated one that allows me to tilt my pelvis back and align my spine. It took some getting used to but I can now stand up when I get off the horse!

If you need to sit tall then don't pull your stomach back, think of pulling it up towards your shoulder blades.

If you have to sit a lot at work then make sure you have a chair that can be adjusted away from the normal front of seat lower than back - it's just emphasising your position, you need to have a foot rest and til the seat of the chair so that the back is lowest to help you tilt your pelvis in the right direction to straighten your spine.

Day to day walking around think of walking leading with your hips with your tail tucked under.

All of the time - until it becomes a habit - think of your spine as a collection of large beads on a string, the string comes out through the top of your head and you arrange your back so that the beads are all balanced on top of each other in a straight line. Do this at your desk and make sure you are relaxed through your shoulders and hips with your tummy up towards your shoulderblades. Thinking "headlights on full" and remembering that that means shoulders back as well will help too.

bordermare

Visit site
I also have a curved spine.

The saddle is everything - for example the Wintec Isabell puts you in a fantastic position if you slouch your pelvis back as it tips you forwards. If you have a back like mine it exaggerates the problem (and leaves me unable to walk).

Always wondered why I couldn't get away with that saddle - crippled me too!

soulfull

Visit site
I have the opposite problem....no curve in my back. It causes just as many problems, but just different ones. It is harder for me to get my shoulders back, my thighs come forward and there is nothing to help me absorb the movement

0ldmare

Visit site
I have the opposite problem....no curve in my back. It causes just as many problems, but just different ones. It is harder for me to get my shoulders back, my thighs come forward and there is nothing to help me absorb the movement

Soulful, I have exactly the same. My spine is very straight and gives me the exact same issues as you. In order to get the corrrect position I have to continuely think of sticking my arse out. Its fine for a while, but is never going to feel truly natural. On the plus side I've never ever had back ache and wonder if my spines straightness is the reason (touches wood madly!)