Dodson & Horrell Leisure Mix

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I've had to start feeding my horse this as her feeds aren't being finished up. The morning one has bute in it and the night one has supplements in it. The night one she wasn't eating because she was keen to go out into the paddock after tea so was leaving it. The morning one she wasn't eating because she prefered to eat the nuts out of her ball, or her tummy was full from being out overnight. The supplements tended to make the feed a bit powdery but adding more chaff made it too much to eat. Supplements split between morning and tea I didn't feel would have quite the same impact.

I tried mixing loads of different things like dried mint, garlic, etc into it but it didn't have much effect so she now gets a fistful of D&H leisure mix in both meals and it goes down a treat. In fact she practically licks the bowl clean and looks around for more. Anyone else feed this? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Casey76

Visit site
It’s not something I would ever choose to feed, but if you don’t have a metabolic type, a handful of molassed cereal isn’t going to do much harm.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I’m sure lots of us fed D&H Leisure mix or Pasture mix a few years ago and they were very much appreciated by our horses. They even look delicious!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Yep I certainly did when I got my mare 13 years ago! As she got older she developed metabolic issues so she is on oat chaff & grass nuts in winter. If was only way to get her to take meds then think handful of it wouldn’t hurt.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I’m sure lots of us fed D&H Leisure mix or Pasture mix a few years ago and they were very much appreciated by our horses. They even look delicious!

Sadly looking delicious to us often means it's not a great feed for horses, maize is the classic that really isn't good for horses, but in situations like this a little isn't a deal breaker.

Reacher

Visit site
Agree with Casey a handful to mix supplements in won’t do any harm.
I find soaked grass nuts work well to mix powdered supplements in, don’t know if that’s an option for you