Does a horse know it's limits?

Parkranger

Visit site
Be interested to hear people's views on this.

Brought the boy back into work after a pull and last week he wanted to go when we got to the gallops but I held him back and made him walk. Had a few sessions in the school and he seemed fine - very willing, working in a great outline (that we've really struggled with before) then today we went back down the gallops and he was fine until his friend trotted past and he just wanted to go.....I let him go and he's never gone so fast! I think it did him the world of good but I was obviously paranoid it would hurt him.

I guess I'm asking if you think a horse knows if something is going to hurt him or not......to be honest, I probably could have held him if I'd really wanted to.....I gave him a walk around after tea and he seemed fine.

truffles

Visit site
I don't think they do - if they did I think that would be a lot of injuries out of the way lol! Some even carry on when they are hurt, proving how willing to please and honest they are.

Parkranger

Visit site
I know he definately doesn't do anything if he's in pain....that's why I rested him for 3 weeks - he was getting slower and slower in canter to the point where he wouldn't anymore - that's just not Ty and also not many TB's I know either. They seem to have a knack of telling you when they hurt
crazy.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
My TB has a great knack of communicating how he feels at times. When he had a recent secondary pocket of pus in his hoof after the first one was drained, he kept calling to me & waving the offending leg in the air. However, once it was drained he started cavorting round the field like an idiot which wasn't too intelligent. So, in response to your question - to a certain extent they do - but they are not so good at determining whether they have made a full recovery or not!! They can be a bit over-eager when they start to feel better.

Chex

Visit site
In some senses I think they do, but I think when they're in a group, or galloping and the adrenaline is flowing they don't. But then I suppose they're not completely stupid, but maybe the prey instinct takes over. Maybe they have excellent pain threshold. I really don't know lol

GTs

Visit site
No they do not - horses will continue to run on broken legs. TBs need to run, it is in their nature, it is a balance you have to figure out.

Rosyryan

Visit site
Well aren't mares supposed to be more protective of their own health than geldings? Eg, polo mares appear to be better at preserving their own safety, our old girl Grade B SJ was brilliant at getting herself out of problems,however our pony gelding is just as good at problem-solving,so I don't know really I agree that once adrenaline stars coursing around their bodies some horses do seem to loose all fear and notions of self-preservation, mare or gelding,maybe the basic flight instinct "kicks-in" earlier in some horse breeds.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
go for the old mantra and treat them like kids - they dont know it will hurt til it does, and then they know for the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep exactly my philosophy too.

Horses have the thinking mind of a 7 year old child and so long as you treat them as such then you can save yourself and them a lot of heartache. We have to look out for our lovely horses.

Parkranger

Visit site
rode out today and luckily he wasn't broken - feel bad about yesterday now....just went out for a long walk over the hills and he was fine - seemed to really enjoy it!

GTs

Visit site
He is unlikely going to be broken - when Clarita was lame, I paid someone to bring her back, as I would babied her too much!