does any one know how to do a running/gypsy plait on a horses mane

izzyxxx

Visit site
hi well i need some help next tuesday prince edward (earl of wussex) is coming to my school and i am doing a demonstration on my horse her mane is quite long and thick i am not pulling it for any prince i love her having a long mane (its not as long as i would like though) about 8-10inchs min any way i have decided a running/gypsy/arabian plait is the way to go but i havent got a clue where to start! can any one help and if any 1 has any piccys that would be soo good please help me this is no normal day out and i just want everything to go right or if any one has got any other suggestions of things i can do with it its grey and cause she is crossed with an appaloosa some short bits of mane sticks up at the top please help

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
Yes i can do them, start with 3 sections at the top and go to plait like a normal one, then get a section from a little further down the mane and put that into the plait and so on, sorry hard to explain alot easier when actually doing it!
blush.gif

Louby

Visit site
Dont know if this will help as it is easier to do than explain. Have you ever braided hair? If so thats the method behind it but just bringing one side in ie the mane from the crest rather than both sides as you would on a human head. God that sounds even nore confusing...sorry.

bellgave

Visit site
All the above advice is really good, I have done a lot of plaiting up Spanish horses. their plaits run along the crest, Just make sure you plait super tight, so it doesnt come loose. Your hands will be killing!!!!!

bettens

It also helps if you wet the mane well before starting and don't have it squeeky clean - both of these will help maintain the tightness. Taking small even pieces all the way down and end it just in front of the wither which then stops it buckling when the horse lifts its head. If necesary do a second plate of the left over wither hair in the conventional way and roll it once.

No idea where you are but we do Spanish platting sessions.

R

izzyxxx

Visit site
hi yeah
"don't know if that was deliberate or a typo, but am PMSL at Earl of Wussex! " dont worry i asked if it was right when i first heard as i thought the ment west sussex but no they said it is defo wussex dont even know where that is but my school is not exactly posh so if there is a big thing about a kid throwing egg at the prince it will be my school even though the whole police force will proberbly jump on them lol oh and THANKS FOR EVERY 1s ADVICE!!!!!