Does anybody wear..

On the Hoof

Visit site
Or have worn short lace up riding boots?
There appear to be a few styles around based on trainers or walking boots but are apparently ok for riding.
The reason I'm asking is that following a fall and an open dislocation to my ankle, I'm going to have a swollen ankle for sometime to come The site is pretty sore and may remain thickened because of the plastic surgery.
I can't drive again yet but hope that another four weeks will mean that I can drive again and think about riding. The only boots that would have fitted were cut off me by the paramedics :( so I'm thinking that a short boot with laces might be my best bet for getting one on my foot and not irritating the wound site too much. The uppers would need to be reasonably soft for this.
If anyone has recommendations I would be pleased to hear.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wear Tellurides, though they are quite chunky for some of my chaps. I bought them as I had some insulated zip ups but one very wet summer I needed something waterproof but not so warm! When you say soft do you mean the cuff padding?

On the Hoof

Visit site
I wear Tellurides, though they are quite chunky for some of my chaps. I bought them as I had some insulated zip ups but one very wet summer I needed something waterproof but not so warm! When you say soft do you mean the cuff padding?
Hi Ester yes I mean the cuff padding . The tellurides do look nice .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My old Ariats were lace up short boots. I actually preferred that to the zip up ones I have now.

I also have a dodgy ankle, and it is good to be able to adjust them.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
After getting rid of plaster and then 'boot' when I did my right ankle in, I did the first few weeks in my laced tell u rides and then my zipped ariats with old half chaps.
Was lovely when I could return to std jodh boots and gaiters or my Bromonts tho :)

My tell u rides were a half size too big (as I do for winter boots, so can fit thick socks in), so were ideal to 're start :)

dixie

Visit site
I’ve used the Woof Wear Horizon lace up boots which are very comfy and you can ride in them. They’re a pretty good price too.
The Shires chaps fit over them ok.

ester

Visit site
Hi Ester yes I mean the cuff padding . The tellurides do look nice .

In which case yes I would say it is very soft and comfy.

I had an issue with the first pair I had in that my big toes (short stubby toes minimal nail) somehow managed to wear a whole in the lining above them. Ariat agreed this was very odd but didn't quibble and replaced the half price end of line sale ones I had for the newer design. I haven't ridden in them much as that was about when the pony semi-retired but I use them for all sorts of other stuff including going to town if they aren't filthy. - I have to be careful what I walk in so it is usually barefoot shoes or ariats!

Becuase they are my 'summer' boots I usually use mesh chaps with them which are pretty stretchy and fit fine... I do think that can be a bit of a compromise with the soft cuff, but my more gaiter type leather ones would probably fit too. They are a little bulkier overall than my zip up ariat extremes, but more comfy.

Carrottom

Visit site
I have the Dublin Tawe boots which are more like trainers. I bought them for working and walking in when I had problems with my plantar fascia but have found them comfortable for hacking in although I prefer boots which cover my ankle when schooling.

On the Hoof

Visit site
I have the Dublin Tawe boots which are more like trainers. I bought them for working and walking in when I had problems with my plantar fascia but have found them comfortable for hacking in although I prefer boots which cover my ankle when schooling.
I did like the look of these but there are none to be had anymore unless you have very tiny or very large feet - shame. Thanks

ester

Visit site
I do only buy sale ariats :eek: I think a friend had the WW and got on well with them. That or mountain horse ones (that doesnt help does it!)

Otherwise

Visit site
Laces really help, I can't get my foot into the zip up ariat jodhpur boots because of my high instep but can adjust a pair with laces enough to do so. I've ridden in ariats tellurides a couple of times, a bit too clunky for me personally when riding but they're very comfortable to walk in. They don't come up very high on the ankle though and I miss that stability, chaps help if they aren't too flimsy though.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
I've previously had two pairs of these over the years, incredibly comfy and the zip is low enough down to easily get your foot in (I have a very high instep) and the zip can be either left fully down and you still have the sides to protect your ankle or adjust it further up as needed for more support. They last really well:
https://www.viovet.co.uk/HyFOOTWEAR...MIycjujfiy2gIVbpPtCh1-0gQ-EAQYASABEgJySfD_BwE

I also now have a pair of these that are very similar and I tend to use these now for work in the winter as they go with smart trousers too, very comfy also https://www.fleetequestrian.com/Shires-Harvies-Paddock-Boots

The one benefit of the zipped boots is they are lot less hassle to put on than laces and you can adjust them in seconds. Hope you find something that suits. :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Oh that’s a bit worrying as part of the reason I’m in this mess is my foot not coming free soon enough ....

If you get chaps that’s go over the laces you’ll be ok. I have Tellurides but my normal chaps won’t go over the chunky cuff. On my trek in Iceland last year I just wore walking boots which were perfectly comfortable and supportive. I wore neoprene chaps from Just Chaps over them as they were more flexible than my normal Ariats. They fit over the Tellurides too.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I broke the end of the non weight bearing bone off my ankle last year. The mere thought of pull on boots was too much. I ended up buying the zip up Ariat boots and to be honest, although expensive, I will never have another sort of boot now. I have loved them. The only ones that didn’t hurt my ankle.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
After the crappy Decathlon ankle boots gave up the ghost, I bought a pair of Clarke's boots, mentioned in this post.

They are padded and leather-lined (possibly pigskin). The heal is a little low, but still OK for riding, and you could possibly ask a cobbler to build it up with a couple of pieces of sole bend if you really need it.

Since making up some of my own leather grease compound, they are really soft and practically impermeable.

The point where the quarter attaches to the vamp at the base of the tongue is a bit low, meaning that water can splash over that. But at the same time, this means that the whole boot can open really wide to get it on and off easily.

I sometimes get the laces of my field boots caught in the stirrup and have to manually free my foot.

Oh that’s a bit worrying as part of the reason I’m in this mess is my foot not coming free soon enough ....

I wear chaps over these.

Laces should be the correct length for the shoe or boot. Sometimes it's hard to find the correct length, so I cut the lace to the length it should be, and use thermo-shrink insulation to replace the aglet.

If you get chaps that’s go over the laces you’ll be ok. I have Tellurides but my normal chaps won’t go over the chunky cuff. On my trek in Iceland last year I just wore walking boots which were perfectly comfortable and supportive. I wore neoprene chaps from Just Chaps over them as they were more flexible than my normal Ariats. They fit over the Tellurides too.

Last edited:

On the Hoof

Visit site
If you get chaps that’s go over the laces you’ll be ok. I have Tellurides but my normal chaps won’t go over the chunky cuff. On my trek............ I wore neoprene chaps from Just Chaps over them as they were more flexible than my normal Ariats. They fit over the Tellurides too.

Thankyou have had a look and will go for these.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Something odd has happened to the post above. I edited it to add that if I can't find laces the right length, I cut them to length and use thermo-shrink electrical insulation tubes to replace the aglets.