Does anyone buy horses at this time of year?

canteron

Visit site
I have a horse on sales livery. He is completely lovely, just too green for my old bones. He won't actually go up for sale for another week or so, but I am just wondering whether the market has collapsed and whether it would be more sensible to bring him home and try at a more sensible time of year!

Or does selling now mean that you are at least not going to get a fair weather rider!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm quite out of date in terms of market knowledge, but certainly 15 years ago when I worked for producers (young potential showjumpers and eventers) there used to be a lot of sales activity between christmas and new year, and then it would be pretty quiet in January. So I would say it would be worth giving him 2-3 weeks on the market before reassessing

dixie

Visit site
They’re currently selling.
I put mine on Horsequest 2 weeks ago and had over 30 enquiries in the first week. It might drop off slightly just before xmas but having said that I’ll be buying around this time.
prices are still very high too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I’m unfortunately unexpectedly in the process of starting to look for a new dancing partner. The time of year hasn’t really factored into it aside from hoping I can find something suitable and get it vetted before Christmas.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’m unfortunately unexpectedly in the process of starting to look for a new dancing partner. The time of year hasn’t really factored into it aside from hoping I can find something suitable and get it vetted before Christmas.
oh no :( sorry to hear that.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I was asking myself the same question but have taken the plunge in the knowledge it may take some time.
We are selling him from home without good facilities & needing to call in our rider but have made it very obvious what type of rider he needs so I dont get bombarded with timewasters, novices, & dealers, & have also uploaded the videos on the advert so dont get all those calls asking for videos as well.
Only went up yesterday - hes a fair price too as for me its not about the money but the home.

irishdraft

Visit site
A friend of mine is looking and she has a decent budget I don't think time of year makes alot of difference especially this particular year

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
At the time I worked in private client tax and was half heartedly looking for a horse this time of year 3 years ago and said I am not buying one until 31st jan is behind me due to the silly hours and stress I had to work through. Went to see my mare on 1st jan and she came home to me 13th jan.

I think you’ll get less joy riders in mid winter but any interest you do get will be more serious than in the glorious summer months.

PurBee

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what is involved with sales livery? I see yards offer this but have never known what it really entails..do they get a horse fit? Just tidy it up? Do they actively try to sell the horse so you avail of their contacts? Do they train for sale?

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Well, I’m trying to. More broadly speaking yes, people are buying, there’s still a small premium on prices from covid but nothing like what they were just after lockdown. As an example there’s a couple of nice young be100 horses up for 18k that have been there for quite some time. Most of the horses I have my eye on haven’t sold - though mainly I think because people see the prices horses were fetching a few months ago and price theirs similarly but it’s a different market now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well I sold one this week 2 years ago at full asking price, so they must :)

Littlebear

Visit site
Yes I enquired about one earlier in the week, earliest I could have viewed was sunday and the woman was inundated so not booking that far in advance (5 days) she had a queue of people!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've got 2 friends who have just bought horses, from private sellers. And someone who has been pestering me for the last month to sell Rex too them, even offered an eye-watering sum for him, but I've come to realise I couldn't afford/find another like him so it's going to a cold day in hell before he goes ?
I do think the winter is better for more serious buyers and less day trippers to be honest.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I think they def do sell, but if he’s on sales livery, and therefore you are paying out a fair whack, it might be worth taking him back home over the Christmas week at least, maybe until just after NY too, as I doubt much activity will go on then?

oldie48

Visit site
I think they def do sell, but if he’s on sales livery, and therefore you are paying out a fair whack, it might be worth taking him back home over the Christmas week at least, maybe until just after NY too, as I doubt much activity will go on then?
I would agree with this. If I were buying from sales livery at this time of year I'd be knocking off at least the estimated cost of the horse staying there for another month. It may also take a bit longer to get a horses vetted over a holiday period, something else to think about.

EJJ999

Visit site
Def buyers out there. Looking hard but not finding much. When a good horse comes up for sale at the moment - it sells very quickly. Third time horse shopping for us and it is hard to find a good one just now.

MrsCentaur

Visit site
Yes. Me! Buying a first horse with the support of some incredible, experienced people; very excited but also scared to death.

Widgeon

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what is involved with sales livery? I see yards offer this but have never known what it really entails..do they get a horse fit? Just tidy it up? Do they actively try to sell the horse so you avail of their contacts? Do they train for sale?

Yes, all these things - in my experience of being on a yard that also did sales livery, they will take a horse in, assess it, school, jump, hack it, keep it nice and tidy and make sure it's putting in a solid performance at whatever it's good at. Then they will sell it. So it's like full livery with bells on. It's quite expensive but as you say you get the benefit of the yard's contact network. Plus if they're a good and trusted yard, they won't take anything that might damage their reputation, so they'll only sell horses that they think are decent and sound etc.

I have seen a horse sent home from sales livery - it was supposedly a child's pony but turned out the seller had not told the sales livery YO about the pony's dirty tricks for getting children off. Obviously once YO worked out what was going on, she didn't want to sell something that might deck a child, so the pony was sent back to seller.

I think that's a reasonable summary....