Does anyone drive a highland?

Visit site
Exmoor might be a bit small. Personally I would go for a New Forest - there are sales soon I think. They make great alrounders and are lighter built but strong and quick. Hence why a lot go show jumping.

Get an NF! They are brill! Dirt cheap at sales* as well but fun little things if you treat them right; can do absolutely anything, and do it a way that makes you smile every time.

EKW yes the sales happen in the autumn generally after the foals are weaned. The dates for this year can be found here: http://www.nfls.org.uk/sales.htm

* There's a minimum bid of 21 gns at Bealieau now. Think that's about £22.05 but can't remember what a guinea is worth.

Crackerz

Visit site
The NF's aren't quite as cheap as they used to be at the sales, what with the controlled breeding in place now. I went to the sales in May to spend less than £200 on a yearling colt & they all went for more (still cheap though!!)

But yes, i agree a NF would be a much better option, as i'm a big fan :D

Visit site
The NF's aren't quite as cheap as they used to be at the sales, what with the controlled breeding in place now. I went to the sales in May to spend less than £200 on a yearling colt & they all went for more (still cheap though!!)

But yes, i agree a NF would be a much better option, as i'm a big fan :D

We need an NF Lovers Clique lol. Didn't realise how numerous the new forest pony fans were on here ;)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I was going to put it off until next year, but I'm just waiting to hear back about a huge acreage of hill grazing which would be perfect for native youngsters.

I guess I don't understand why a Highland wouldn't be up to what you want? but know nothing about driving. however, if a Highland couldn't do it I am not sure a Fell or an Exmoor could either, which is what I'd recommend ;).

There are some very good driving ponies of both breeds-the guy who bred my Exmoors who has now sadly passed away, used to drive 4 in hand :D but he was very old school. With an Exmoor though, go to someone who knows and likes the breed to help train him, I love them but they are the least forgiving ponies with a very hard-wired flight response who need careful introduction to everything, especially traffic-Fells seem to be more generous.

SEL

Visit site
Beautiful pony! I've made the decision that whatever I get will be one of the endangered british native breeds. I love my current cob but I dont want to support bin end breeders. Exmoors are another breed I am considering.

I was going to put it off until next year, but I'm just waiting to hear back about a huge acreage of hill grazing which would be perfect for native youngsters.

Not sure how I missed this thread - that Highland is stunning. I was hoping the update was that you'd bought him!!!

If you want endangered then Suffolk Punch. You can do heavy horse driving :D

Visit site
Plenty of us! I have a colt foal arriving next month too

Ooh! Exciting! Tell us more?!

I am still mildly offended by the H&H article that said NFs are the 'poor relation' of the M&Ms haha. They are not, they are wonderful versatile little ponies.

Last edited: