Does anyone else feel like this

Kelly1982

Visit site
I cant get down to turn my horse out in the mornings as i work up London and the yard is 30mins drive away so my friend does it for me.

The other day she told me that my horse goes mad when she sees her car and starts neighing at her
frown.gif
This made me sad as she hardly ever does this to me, although she does do it if i am the first one down at the weekend.

Then today she told me that when she puts her headcollar on her my horse grabs the leadrope and shakes her head with the leadrope in her mouth as if to say 'hurry up i wanna go out'.

I know it sounds silly but it really upsets me that i miss all her little tricks in the mornings and my friend gets to share them with her rather than me.

We are looking for a yard closer to home so that i can go down and do her myself in the mornings but for the meantime needs must.

Does anyone else feel like that when people tell you your horses little ways that you have never experienced due to horse being on full livery or whatever?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Yep - Friend does mine when I'm working shifts, so don't see neddy for 3-4days at a time (I hate it and sometimes find myself going up the yard after a 12hr shift, just so I can see her). When I not at work I do her myself, and also do my friends neddies. However have to pay the bills somehow and I know my friend treats her like her own for those days I can't be there and happy Sparks likes her (when I'm not feeling jealous!!!).

Kelly1982

Visit site
Went to look at it on Saturday, was half way there and the girl rings me to say she was ill and was going home. I cant view it during the week (unless i wanna go at 9pm) and i am away this weekend so wont be able to see it til i get back.

I also found out about the trailer hire and she charges £80. I cant afford that every week so thats put a bit of a downer on it.

Judie

Visit site
Hey Kelly, don't be sad, she is your friend and she is sharing these special moments with you so you don't feel left out, if you weren't such a good mum to your horse she wouldn't show such cute little signs of being happy, you have a very well rounded horse by the sounds of it, enjoy sharing her, she obviously makes your friends mornings easier.

We would all like to do more with our boys and girls but needs must and rather share her with a friend than some one you don't get on with.

Accy

Visit site
We have an arrangement where i can have one night off a week and not go to the yard and so far i havent been able to do it, i miss him to much.

KatB

Visit site
frown.gif
Well at leats as someone else has said, at least it is your friend and not a random yard worker. And it is still you that she trusts when you ride, and you that grooms etc, so you are still her mummy!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Aww thanks TOG thats made me feel much better.

Yeah i would prefer her to share it with a friend so that they can share these moments with me too.

Just feel like sometimes she knows my horse better than me and that makes me sad
frown.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Know how you feel....mine are on full livery so i just get to see them for a couple of hours a day in the evenings. Today I had to leave the yard to deal with the vet as I couldn't have the day off...so I just get the story second hand. I hate it, but I can't afford to have the horses if I don't work, so needs must and all that
tongue.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Think i am just too sentimental sometimes LOL

I know i am still her mum and that she only neighs at my friend coz she knows she is going to be turned out but i wish i was the one who she got excited to see.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Yeah thats the same as me, although my work are pretty good when it comes to me leaving early to see the vet etc.

I only see her for a few hours a night as well and thats why i spend so much time with her at the weekends (much to my OH's disgust he he).

Have been trying really hard to get a job closer to home too just so i can do her myself and not have to rely on other people but no luck as of yet.

spider

community.webshots.com
It's nice that your friend tells you the little stories, even though it is hard not to be there. Mine is looked after by yard staff and although they're very good, they deal with lots of horses and mostly don't think to share the little details. Recently didn't go for two days owing to broken car and I don't think anyone noticed. It's the girls that help out at weekends that tell me what he did when I wasn't there.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I know its nice of her to share but sometimes i wish she wouldn't as it just upsets me and i would rather not know what i am missing out on but at the same time i like to know as well.

Does that sound silly??

Tia

Visit site
Well I know we are all different; but if I was to hear this about one of my horses it would, without doubt, make me all happy and comforted inside. I would be so pleased to hear that the person that I have chosen to look after them is loved so much - that in turn would give me that warm fuzzy feeling. I like my horses to be very happy.
smile.gif

harvgj19

Visit site
Not silly at all. I know just how you feel.

My horse is on loan at the moment, as we moved to the USA and I couldnt take him with me. I didn't want to sell him, as we were unsure whether we would stay, or if in time I will be able to bring him over here.

The girl who has him on loan emails me regularly with updates on what she has done with him and how he is, and it makes me sad to see her competing with him and winning classes on him, but at the same time I am pleased he is doing so well and getting out and about.

I have not seen him for a year now, so while you feel sad that you are missing out on little things with your horse, be glad that you have your horse there and are not 3000 miles away!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I know how you feel totally. You get jealous, cos you want to be the one with her, but other things end up taking up your time and you just can't do it. I have a good friend who comes up two days a week to help me and I worry about her bonding more with my friend than with me but then again I'm really grateful to my friend. Thing is I'm at college at the mo and by the time I get to the yard its really dark. so not worth it. But don't worry, it sounds like you have a special bond with your horse anyway
smile.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
I got a bit jealous when i was told that my horse was neighing and trotting over to the lady that looked after him when i went away for a week!!!

Only trouble is that i find it quite hard to beleive that he could get so attached to someone in just a week.

Just to add that he never neighs or trots over to me, even if i have a bucket of feed, he tends to meandor over, the most indirect route possible and usually has a wee and a poo on the way, just his way of saying, 'yeh nice to see you but in my time'

So dont feel bad, your horse loves the one who pays all the bills!!!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Yeah I think I would feel like that too. I am however so skint that I have to do everything with Spring myself so she does know me so I get whinnies and cuddles when I arrive. I think the best part about having a horse is the little things that they do that show they know and like you, but I guess a lot of that revolves around dinner and being turned out - so the person who feeds them is always going to be the most popular!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I work & live in London, but neddy stays at Mum's in Kent. I feed 2 evenings a week & spend all weekend with him, but it feels like it's not enough. However, said horse isn't into hard feed so isn't enthusiastic at all when Mum feeds in the mornings & when I am not there. He does turn on he charm when people walk past the field & give the horses apples & carrots though - I find it quite amusing - he is such a user as they all are when food is involved. I am more grateful for the affectionate bits I get when there is no food or reward involved. Call me silly, but he and I have a bond that he doesn't have with anyone else because what really counts is our achievements together & all the things we learn together. Anyone can feed him & get a positive & warm reaction, but to get it without the association of reward means more. I think this will always be how it is, even if I don't get down as much as I would like! (if I didn't work in London, I couldn't afford him!)