Does anyone else overreact and panic so easily?

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Got a call at work today from the lady that i rent my field and stables from, her house overlooks the field, now when she rings it normally means my asbo pony has hurdled his way out over the fence onto the farm, so when she started with her usual "don't panic but"..... i groaned and asked what he'd done this time. She she ohhh no he fine its Buzz.

Apparently he had been laid down for a long time and they had got worried so went to investigate and made him get up, he looked ok but grumpy so they left him to it, five minutes later he was lying down again and my shetland was apparently pawing at him to make him get up, so out they went again got him up again, then rang me because they were worried, after quizzing them about everything i could think of i told them I'd leave work and come straight down. Well in the 5 minutes it took me to find my boss to tell him i was going I'd imagined every worse case scenario and was convinced he might die, so found boss, high speed babbled at him that pony was lying in field, i was going etc, i don't think he actually had any idea what i was on about bless him.

By the time I got back to get bag and car keys she had rung back to say pony was actually fine and was now doing his best impression of an arab prancing round the field, quizzed her again to make sure she was sure he was ok, she assured me he was and if it in anyway looked like he wasn't she would call me again. So i promptly disappeared off to the loo to cry like an idiot because i'd wound myself up so much, then had to explain that i would now be staying at work for the rest of my shift after all.

Tonight I checked every inch of pony while he looked decidedly healthy and happy, trying to raid the carrot bag and get the lid off the feed bin and generally causing cheeky pony havoc and taking full advantage of the fact that i was so glad he was ok i'd gone temporarily soft :D
Think he just fancied an afternoon nap in the rare dry sunny weather we had today.

Does anyone else panic so easily where their horse is concerned? I don't think i'd be so bad if it one of my other 2 but he is my 1st pony, the oldest and *ahem* my favourite :eek: just the thought of anything happening to him makes me want to cry.

Sorry i've rambled again and its got abit long

Last edited:

maxapple

Visit site
Think your yard owner worried you unnecessarily there!

I'm the same - I got a 'yard owner' call a few years ago when my horse broke his leg in the field. Now if the phone ever rings and her number cones up I feel sick! It's normally because my pony has done something naughty!

Fjord

Visit site
I'm the same, I panic at the slightest thing. When my mare got slightly footy on spring grass I was convinced she had full blown lami and was going to die. I may have cried a bit.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I probably should have known better but i couldn't help imagining the worst oddly i panic in situations like this, but if something really bad happens infront of me i go super calm and do whatever i need to do then go and throw up and start shaking afterwards, its the less serious and things i can't actually see for myself that makes me lose all rational thinking.

They are lovely people and I'm glad they notice and tell me if they are worried about something even if it does make me panic lol
and they do always want to help me, e.g i mentioned that i would probably move the ponies into the other field soon, when i came down the next morning her husband had already been out with the electric fencing and asbo pony proofed the field, charged the battery and connected it all up. So all i had to do was walk round the field with him to see if he had missed any potential asbo escape routes and point out to him that tying the loose bit of fence tape round a wooden post wasn't really a good idea :rolleyes: