Does anyone have a 1970s rosette for the new Jill book covers?

janebadger

booksandmud.blogspot.co.uk
The first three Jill books are going to be republished this year, but they're still working on the covers, and have run into a blip, as their cover designer doesn't know what a suitably period rosette should look like!

So, they need a photograph of a 1970s or earlier rosette - it needs to be the sort that has more of a ruffle than a pleat, if you see what I mean! The rosette will go on the cover with the number of the book in it.

If you can help, and want your rosette immortalised, then please send a file (reasonably high resolution please) to vanessa at fidrabooks.com, or to me via the message system.

Kenzo

Visit site
I could have look this evening, we have an old bag full of them from when my brother and sis were showjumping (big age gap between them and me) they were in dodgy colours and more oval than round.

Dizzle

Visit site
I have quite a few 1970's equine books at home, I'll have a look and see if there are any pictures.

DuckToller

Visit site
How weird - my mother has just cleared out the loft and presented me with a whole bag of stuff, including a bunch of 70s Horse and Hounds, Riding Magazine, a programme from The Royal International Horse Show 1971 held at Wembley (it lists such delights as Stroller and Penwood Forge Mill along with Anelli Drummond-Hay and Capt R d'Inzeo) and...

... a whole load of 70s rosettes! Off to photograph them right now in fact. Can't imagine who on here could be that old mind you
grin.gif

_April_

Visit site
Ah wow how cool - we will have some in the attic I'm sure!

If you need more pics other than the one above let me know - although it looks spot on to me
smile.gif

Tnavas

Visit site
Being a teenager in the early 70's - yes that is definately the one!

I still have all my rosettes - packed away now but a treasure trove of memories. Good to hear the Jill books are coming back out again. What about all the others Punchbowl Farm series. All the Pullen Thompson series - I think there were two sisters that wrote. I've still got some of my childhood favourites.

humblepie

Visit site
I still have all my old rosettes in the attic - they date from the early 1960s and yes I am that old and yes I still like winning rosettes! Ditto having read the Jill books as well.

billy2

Visit site
Hey Vanessa, don't keep us in suspense - when's the publication date? I'd heard a company was gaining the rights to reprint several pony classics - have any been released yet/what titles/where can we get them?

janebadger

Thanks Llewelyn - that looks just the job. I'll forward it on.

I don't yet know the publication date, but the books are being published by Fidra Books.

They do indeed have the rights to several pony classics, and have re-published:

Primrose Cummings: Silver Snaffles
Josephine Pullein-Thompson: Six Ponies
K M Peyton: Fly-by-Night
K M Peyton: The Team

Coming up this year is Pony Club Team (JPT) and H M Peel's Easter, as well as the Jills.

Their website is: http://www.fidrabooks.com/, and you can get the books direct from them or via Amazon.

The Monica Edwards are being re-published too, but by a different publisher, Girls Gone By. They tend not to keep their titles in print, so you have to act fast if you want them. Their next Monica is Dolphin Summer. They still have in print The Hoodwinkers, Operation Seabird, No Going Back & Strangers to the Marsh. They're doing the Romney Marsh books first. They are planning to do the whole lot, but I'm not quite sure when they'll do the Punchbowl ones.

You can order directly from them, or via dealers. Their website is:
http://www.ggbp.co.uk/Titles/inPrint/me.html

For general info on pony books, there's my website, which when I last counted had info on aroud 150 authors. Yes, there are that many! I've just done an interview with Patricia Leitch, who wrote the Jinny books, and there's a large section on Jill, the Pullein-Thompsons, Caroline Akrill... . http://janebadgerbooks.co.uk/

janebadger

Vanessa's just been in touch to say she has been sent a photo, so thanks very much - it will do the trick.

The Jills (the first three, which is Jill's Gymkhana, A Stable for Jill and Jill Has Two Ponies) will be republished on 3rd August 2009.