Does anyone have any tips for getting a white horse tail clean?

PogoPumpkinBecky

Visit site
Am trying to get the stain out of my coloured mare's tail, it is mostly white with a bit of balck down the middle and no matter how many times I wash it, the stain is still there a bit.
So was wondering if anyone had any top tips for stain removal?
Thanks.

frannieuk

Visit site
I use biological washing tablets in a bucket of hot water, then dunk the tail in (keeping dock out) and soak for as long as I can hold the bucket up. Then rinse, and repeat if required, then I use human hair conditioner and comb it through - works on my grey's tail :)

debbier4

Visit site
I always used Vanish stain remover. If you buy the stick you can use it like a bar of soap.

Also found the "gold label" horse whitener (again in bar of soap form) was really effective.

Good Luck

Debbie

palomino_pony

Visit site
Ask you hairdresser to get some purple or blue shampoo - they should know what you mean!

Its thick purple / blue stuff they use in blonde or grey hair(smoker's hair too apparently) and brings out the brightness.

Amazing stuff but use lots of water first then add it else it stays a purple tinge.

I think mine is Loreal blue but had a purple one too.

( I have a palomino AND a grey - both mares- very experienced in white tails - lol)

ozpoz

Visit site
ditto the washing powder - and for really stubborn yellow tails I would leave it on for a few hours(not overnight), the tail hair only, NOT near the bone, and bandage the length of tail to avoid any contact with skin. Rinse off really thoroughly. Never known to fail!:)

applecart14

Visit site
Am trying to get the stain out of my coloured mare's tail, it is mostly white with a bit of balck down the middle and no matter how many times I wash it, the stain is still there a bit.
So was wondering if anyone had any top tips for stain removal?
Thanks.

Hibiscrub - I use this on my boys white socks, and it is very effective.

Tnavas

Visit site
Wash, wash and a tail bag 24/7.

Is the black part dirt or dark hairs? One of mine has white socks with some brown hair running through it and it always looks dirty - bar bleaching the brown bit I just accept that this is her colouring.

crazycoloured

Visit site
Vanish soap is brilliant.wet the tail and then rub the bar of soap on the tail leave in for half an hour then rinse and u should have a clean white tail.

Wizzkid

Visit site
I use blue washing up liq or bold ( not on the dock ) and that seems to work :) good luck it is always a battle why dont we have nice bays!!

Flying_Filly

Visit site
Any stain removing washing powder like Daz or Oxy clean. Stay away from the dock though.

I usually wash the worst off with baby shampoo, then daz, rinse thoroughly and then use baby conditioner, comb through, rinse well then detangler and show shine.. horse poos and repeat! :mad:

PogoPumpkinBecky

Visit site
thanks, everyone, i will try different things you hav esuggested until her tail is sparkly clean!!
yes my other pony is great, dun with 4 black legs and dark tail!

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I use champion tails purple shampoo followed by champion tails stain remover. I have used net curtain whitener before but it makes the tail very brittle so ive stopped using it and not noticed any differance TBH. as you can see it works for me.. :)

nwsc017_edited.jpg

mum2kalay

New User
Visit site
Treseme shampoo!I have a coloured mare and get exactly the same problem. Wet the tail and give it a good scrub, rinse out and for easier brushing and a bit of shine, use treseme conditioner after. They're usually on offer in supermarkets :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
OK I'm going to show my age here and I'm going to use the caveat of not having had a grey/white tailed horse for.......mmmmmmm..........18years.....but can you still buy the little 'blue bags' from the old fashioned ironmongers? They used to work a treat and dead cheap too!

Probably whatever was in them is against health and safety nowadays....

3DE

Visit site
Zinc oxide - sheep face whitener. Add a little water to the powder to make a paste and paint it on. Leave it to dry and brush it off. It doesn't matter if you get a bit on the dark bits - it brushes off :)

It's the stuff they use to make mayo and talc white