does anyone just have there horses shod in front?

Rudders74

Visit site
Im just trying mine without back shoes for the first time. Farrier said he has nice hard feet and he has been fine on the couple of hacks ive had so far. Im just checking them after each hack.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i did try mine without hind shoes , she wasnt being ridden for 3 months as i was out of action so thought it woul be good to get shoes off...she managed fine in the field but found the stoney yard uncomforable. i rode her for a couple of months, just hacking on roads and grass tracks but she began to get sore so i gave in and put shoes back on...

iconique

Visit site
Done it for years, most of the weight is over the front so we have always shod front for riding rear for driving. Mostly we use it if they get footsore or if they wear too much down. We just happen to like only paying for what we really use!

swilliam

Visit site
We only have ours shod on the front. They hack out, and go showjumping and XC no problems. I think it's safer when a few are kept together.

Charmin

Visit site
Mine only has her shoes back on when we start doing dressage on grass as this is when she needs studs around the corners - as an unbalanced baby I'd rather she'd not lose confidence.

I also XC school her with no back shoes on and have SJed on grass but took extra care as she is only young, I feel safer with studs in. But then she isn't the most footsure horse ever and can get gung ho.

She hacks 2 x a week, schools 3x a week in the winter with just fronts on, and is out 24/7. Never had a problem!

AmieeT

Visit site
Mines been on fronts only for about 4 years though I've only had him 18months.

He's fine on them, we do mainly hacking on roads and schooling and a bit of jumping.

I had a week off in Nov and hacked out every day, and the backs got quite short (farrier didn't need to take anything off!) But other than that he's fine

Ax

TT55

Visit site
My polo pony only has fronts on, but she is only ever ridden in an arena. She will be getting hinds on for the summer season in about 6 weeks time.

arlosmum

Visit site
After 10 years of a full set every 8 weeks complete with road nails, I'm trying Arlo with just a pair of fronts with farriers blessing.
He's in very light work only, in the school.
If we venture out of the gate, or he becones footy, I'll have the hinds back on.

millikins

Visit site
One we've had 10 yrs now and only ever had fronts. She's done all pony Club stuff, hacks for miles and draghunts a handful of times each winter she's never had a problem If fact I'm always surprised that she needs fronts.

Ceriann

Visit site
My riding mare just has fronts. My farrier thinks she has good feet so might even try her with no shoes next winter when ive got less time to ride

linperrie

Visit site
When I first bought my mare she only had fronts on. This was fine for about 6 months but as my hacking out increased it became apparent that back ones were needed and its been the same ever since. If I Didn't do so much road work she would be fine but I do so hey ho......

MissJessica

Visit site
I had my horse shod only in front until the start of winter, we had a lot of rain which bought up a lot of stones and my horse bruised his sole, tried to let it heal but gave in and put back shoes on, rode that evening and pony had a spring in his step, he felt wonderful and thought I should have done it sooner as he must of been a little uncomfortable.
http://geegeeandme.blogspot.co.uk/

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I try and get away with fronts only if I can. I find it particularly good for youngsters learning to wear shoes and oldies who can struggle a bit tolerating being shod behind. Both types tend to do less work anyway so don't wear down their hinds or get footsore.

irishdraft

Visit site
Both my horses have only ever had front shoes on, my mare has hunted for 9 seasons with no trouble and my gelding does xc, sj, fun rides, hunts, never had a problem but I have had both horses from babies so they have never had backs on.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine was shod all round last yr, took shoes (all four) off for winter to give him a break and he had fronts back on on jan or Feb time. He's in full work and fine without hind shoes.
Working 5-6x week. 2-3x hacking on roads, grass & stoney tracks. 2-3x flat schooling (one of the hacks will be before or after schooling), 1x jump or competition. Competitions are sj, dr and first be coming up. Schooled xc last week at 90cm-1m at Somerford with no slipping or anything like that.