does anyone know how big the plane is at halton??

karlene

Visit site
im doing the vale of ayslesbury sponsored ride this year (raf halton) and am wondering if anyone knew the size of the plane :)

unbalanced

Visit site
According to the people we walked the course with who measured it, the small bit is 2'9 and the big end is 3'5. Obviously you jump nearer the big end (see picture) to avoid getting your leg squished. It is also over 2' wide.

It is actually very jumpable. If you have a look at their course map, you come out into the airfield through the water splash and there is a lovely uphill stretch with lots of 2'6/3' options and your horse is really shall we say 'going forward' at that stage and by then all your nerves from earlier that morning have gone because you have just jumped everything else. They set it up so it is in the best possible place. Also the presence of a photographer makes it a lot more tempting!

For size reference on my picture my pony is 14hh.
picture.php

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Unbalenced is absolutely right its 2'9" at the little end and about 3'6" at the big end. I used to be a member at the saddle clib in my teans and spent my winters / early springs creosoting all the fences and putting the flags out.

It jumps really really well although it is near the end of the course. Ive jumped it a number of times on anything from 13hh pony to 17 hh hunter. Miss doing it actually.

applecart14

Visit site
Unbalenced is absolutely right its 2'9" at the little end and about 3'6" at the big end. I used to be a member at the saddle clib in my teans and spent my winters / early springs creosoting all the fences and putting the flags out.

It jumps really really well although it is near the end of the course. Ive jumped it a number of times on anything from 13hh pony to 17 hh hunter. Miss doing it actually.

OMG doubtful my horse would even look at it let alone jump it. :(I'd spend half an hour just taking him up to the take off and then he'd be snorting and spinning like a top! :rolleyes:

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Been there done that too. I loaned an ex racehorse from the saddle club who used to get stuck in reverse when stressed (he was a dope when anyine else rode him. Think he knew we did exciting things)!! He went into reverse gear until e hit something (or someone) then shot forwards and tanked me over cat leaping it!!! Ive got a photo of me trying not to fall out the back door. Ill see if i can find it!!

CeeBee

Visit site
If when you get to the jump, you bottle it (like I did), there is a little wooden jump to the side you can do instead and still get your photo taken. Really wish I hadn't bottled it though :(

Sol2-photobucket.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Ah CeeBee - that makes me feel better. I was determined to do it last year, having bottled 2 previous years, but the nag had other ideas. Gave it a couple of tries but I didn't want to hold up others so we did the pole instead.

Not sure if I will give it a go this year, will see how he is going on the day.

It's frustrating though isn't it, in your photo your horse is jumping big enough to clear the plane easily!

JFTDWS

Visit site
That plane haunts my dreams. I've always wanted to jump it, but I know it will drive me insane if I bottled it... But on the other hand I don't want to die trying - my highland isn't notorious for his jumping skill :eek:

CeeBee

Visit site
It's frustrating though isn't it, in your photo your horse is jumping big enough to clear the plane easily!

I know and really, I had no reason to bottle it, as he had been fantastic all day and jumped everything I asked him to without question.

Sadly I have since lost my nerve and am lucky to break into a trot these days, let alone jump :(, however, I get my Halton pics out every now and then to remind myself that it is possible.

Good luck to everyone who goes, it really is a great day out :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Lol, Yup its about what the others are saying. My sister used to do it on the appy and we have got some great pictures :) she did it last year on my 21 yearold but only jumped the little log next to it as it was her first time jumping in five years and she was in a dressage saddle!! We though she would just POP over it but no, she jumped it huge lol l'll see if I can find a picture. Xxx

karlene

Visit site
Yes ive been there the past 2 years and bottled the plane, i dont know why!!! i dream about the dam thing!!! hence the reason why i was asking how big it was just trying to think back wondering if when i was riding up to it there was a massive 5ft plane, but not! just me being a wimp :)
its on the last sunday of march this year, ive already sent my entry hoping for a nice early time.
someone told me today that they think the smaller end is 3ft wide :-/.... if thats the smaller end maybe thats why i didn't jump it as the middle- higher end would have been mega wide (well for me anyway :-0)

tedster

Visit site
its more of a rider scarer than anything, it not high but is quide wide when you get up to it.. my friends pony banked it last year!!

sa463

New User
Visit site
My friends and I walked the course the day before we did the ride a few years ago, and was definately bigger than we expected - especially as you need to jump it quite centrally to avoid your leg being taken off my the tail end of the plane!
We took a pic of us sitting on it and makes it look mahoosive ... really wide as well
2w2o2s5.jpg

and then pony jumping it the next day!
nwhen8.png

i too agree that the run up of loads of jumps gets you into a great rhythm and makes the plane look a lot more inviting!
one of my fav days out on my horse i would definately reccomend it :)