does anyone know the truth?

ilovepalominos

New User
Visit site
Ive heard rumours that a riding school in bexley has strangles. How would I find out if this is true or just a rumour as ive heard this all before.
Does anyone have any evidence / factual knowledge of this?

tazet

Visit site
yup as the vets if it is true they will know and if they are a responsible yard they will let everyone with horses in the area around them know but it could do them a lot of damage financially so in theses situations people tend to cover it up anc continue sa normal which is soooo wrong as strangles at its worst can kill good luck on finding out

pootler

Visit site
To be honest there are a number of yards on that lane, usually one of them is rumoured to have it as it seems to pass up and down the yards. The riding school gets its horses from sales and it's not unknown for the new horses to bring in strangles etc. It's a fact of life if you keep horses in that neck of the woods that strangles is in the area.

susan_w

Visit site
Really Lou - I'm originally from Bexley, although I've lived down this neck of the woods for years.

Don't know about any rumours about Strangles, but invariably, that's all they are. Unless you hear it from the actual yard themselves, never believe it.

debbielinder

Visit site
we had this problem up in the north west recentley every one was speculating and gossiping that this yards got it, and this other one had it. and yet when you speak to people of the yards they insist they havent in the end when i had my vet out for my horse we asked him and he told us straight which yards deffo had it and which ones didnt. i think it should be a notifyable disease as even yards that have it cannot be quarantened if they dont want to. one yard up here that was known to be the source of our recent outbreak kept going to shows even dressage comps attented by the likes of carl hester etc. which could have spread it right across the country.

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are planning to take your horse to the riding stables and allow it to rub noses with the infected horse, why are you worried?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strangles can be transmitted by people too.

Yard had it years ago, and everything was washed & scrubbed. Even people who had horses elsewhere we advised to be to careful

Sparklet

Visit site
Only if you get discharge or pus on your clothing and another uninfected horse comes into contact with it.

The advice as far as I am aware is to isolate/quarenteen diagnosed or suspected cases and reduce contact with them to a minimum. Where contact does happen the person/items must be kept scrupulously clean and not come into contact with other animals.

Unless ilovepalaminos is planning to visit the riding stables, ignore all quarenteen measures and expose her horse I dont think there is any danger.

ilovepalominos

New User
Visit site
Im worried coz Ive found a horse there that I want to buy and now Ive heard these rumours I dont want to take it back to my yard where other horses can catch it. I wanted to know if theres anyway of finding out for sure if these rumours are true as they are always flying around. I think the only way im going to be certain is to have the vet do the swabs, and isolate the pony for a month. But I didnt really want to do this if it wasnt necessary. It's a right dilemma!! Perhaps I will call the vets and farriers in that area first.
I called their vet that they use and they said they are not allowed to give that info out as it's confidential.

Marianne

Visit site
What ive found is different yards like to say others have different diseases. (in my experience anyway) Most of the time it is NOT true, don't worry. Like I was on one yard and then moved and they said it had this and then I moved and they said it had the other. It gets boring and I know my pony is healthy after a vet check and the "diseases" should have come up but quite obviously not.