does anyone know?

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
what ringbone is? my friends horse has got it and has gone lame. she said that it appears he's had it for some time, which would explain why he has been playing up with her. She's upset as she was going to sell him before she found out - she is getting him vetted this week, and I suggested that she shouldn't sell him when he needs her most. Someone said it can cause arthiritis later on, and that they were surprised he'd ever passed the vet check. Just want to help my friend but don't know what to suggest. sorry for random post.

Peanot

Visit site
Ringbone refers to disease that involves either the coffin joint or the pastern joint. “High” ringbone involves the pastern joint; “low” ringbone the coffin joint. Sidebone is a disease of the lateral cartilage, structures that run along the sides of the foot, inside the hoof wall.

Ringbone got its name because inflammation and extra bone formation (osteophytes) appear as a ring of thickening around the pastern (pastern joint involved) or sometimes at the coronary band (coffin joint).
True ringbone means the problem involves the joint cartilage itself (arthritis). False ringbone means the ligaments and joint capsule supporting either the coffin or pastern joint have been injured.
I hope this has been of some help for you.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
thats brilliant thank you! shall have to print that out !
smile.gif
does this make them permanently lame? I mean in his case he has had it a long time and has shown signs that he's fed up of jumping and schooling. I mean obviously will depend on what the vet says, but an experienced friend says thats what it looked like. Quite sad as excellent horse,
frown.gif

_OC_

Visit site
Hi My mare who sadly was put down last May had high ringbone and lived with it, but,she had to be managed very carefully-when it came to light it was my observant friend while out hacking noticed that she grunted as we went down hill and after radiographs were taken articular ringbone was diagnosed and she had to ware special shoes that where packed with some resin to help with concussion.There is a shoeing for horses with this problem called I think EDS something like that,but ,this is very expensive and I think over 4 years ago my farrier quoted £250!!!! So he did a modification of the shoe to make it more realistic for me-I found the art of manageing this,was to have a good farrier to help keep the horse sound and when it was confirmed I remember wailing buckets in the vets carpark with my friends trying to consul me.Sadly their jumping days are over,but,with careful care and phenylbutazone they can still be worked to a certain degree.I really do feel for your friend I really do,but,I learnt to cope with it and she is lucky to have such a supportive friend as yourself-With Love Me & My Cob