Does anyone not feed a bucket feed?

Lucky788

Visit site
Just that really does anyone not feed anything other than grass/hay?
I feed a few supplements hence giving a small feed each day but I’m questioning if the supplements make any difference and thinking of just going back to basics and cutting out the feed and supplements?

Lucky788

Visit site
Thanks for replies, I’m just so used to giving a feed but then I think am I feeding for the sake of it? I would reassess during winter as the grass drops off

Reactions: DD

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is on grass and hay only. No bucket at all at the moment. She is ridden daily, a bit of schooling/hacking, BS British Novice and dressage Prelim. Competing once a week.

She looks too well TBH!

15.3 ID X TB.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My two oldies are getting nothing other than grass and a token treat when I visit them. I probably won’t feed them until gone Christmas.
yeah I only give my old dears a treat or a carrot now and then, other than that they have grass and (up til now as I have just opened up the rested area for stripgrazing,) they have also had a bit of haylage made from the same field.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have done previously they currently only have 1 feed a day of 1/2 scoop emerald grass chaff 100g micronised linseed and there supplements.

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine normally don't but I think my oldie needs it now so she is having veteran vitality. The other one gets a handful of chaff to stop him getting jealous but I need to stop that really! The past few years they have only had bucket feeds Dec-March/ April when there isn't much grass.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I’ve got a new forest x who’s currently living in a starvation paddock at night and comes in by day with a haynet with no bucket feed. To be honest I’m working her 5 days a week and still would like her to be leaner 🤦🏻‍♀️ Born to Be chubby!!

Mrs B

Visit site
Only a bit of chopped straw once a day so I can feed a vitamin & mineral supplement, all year round. But he does get lots of good quality hay or haylage plus 8/24, 12/24 or 24/24 turnout according to season.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine are getting 'tea' at present, approx 6 pony nuts and a pinch of chop.
1 in particular can be a baggage about being caught and another needs daily meds, so everyone gets 'tea' and stands in while I poo pick with dog.
Then 3 of them go into diet paddocks overnight.
Makes it easier all round and if I'm not there then whoever is doing them gets chance to check over properly.

rowan666

Visit site
Mine get grass and hay only for the last few months as they were way too fat, they're probably now in the best shape they've ever been (having acquired riders/loaners for them all too) yet I was still lectured by my vet for my cob being too fat last week 😭

catkin

Visit site
Mine are getting 'tea' at present, approx 6 pony nuts and a pinch of chop.
1 in particular can be a baggage about being caught and another needs daily meds, so everyone gets 'tea' and stands in while I poo pick with dog.
Then 3 of them go into diet paddocks overnight.
Makes it easier all round and if I'm not there then whoever is doing them gets chance to check over properly.

This

Mine get a tiny handful of soaked grassnuts daily all year round. It's part of the routine not necessarily for its food-value but to keep manners up to scratch (they must back up and wait politely until the bucket is placed on the floor for them) and so that we stand a fighting chance of getting any medication down them should they need it! We tried one summer without bucket feeding and needed to give one horse some powders - the bucket was viewed with great suspicion, a case of 'err, what's in it? must be something baaaaad......'

cindars

Visit site
My Welsh cob living out with two other natives large field but quite sparse grazing all looking amazing no feeds only when she comes in to be ridden.

Peter7917

Visit site
Nothing for my guys as a general rule. The fatty ponies are on a small, bare paddock so they are getting soaked hay daily. The others make do with the grazing.

They do however have the smallest pinch of low cal chaff (literally what I can pick up in one hand and I got small girl hands!!) just before we go riding.

Winter however I probably over-feed in reality. They are all native types so would likely get by on hay alone, however I prefer to feed haylage because hay makes me sneeze and they all get a bucket feed of fast fibre, chaff and cheap pony nuts.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Mine gets a handful of chaff and a few grass nuts or fibre nuggets twice a day but only because the oldie he shares a field with needs a big feed twice a day and it keeps him occupied while the old one eats and means I can move him from field to field with his nose in the bucket. Fortunately, he is the world's slowest eater so he's quite happy with his tiny amount and usually the old boy finishes first and shoves him off his bucket.

But he certainly doesn't need it and if it wasn't for the ease of the routine, he wouldn't get anything until he came in at night in late November.

charterline

Visit site
Ideally not, however horse needs a daily supplement so gets that in a handful of pony nuts. Also makes them more amenable for catching if they think they are getting food, not just work

ahml100

Visit site
My main riding horse gets nothing until about jan/feb time until March. He lives out 24/7 with hay in the winter-work wise he can be hunting 2x a week and then competing bi-monthly in the summer. However, he is a bit of a freak and has boundless energy! I have found they only way to keep him calm and happy is only feed right at the end of the season to maintain condition and even then it is just a token feed for linseed oil

Last edited:

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
My connie x comes in at night and has a haynet and access to a salt lick, he is out all day on good grass.
I give him a token dinner when he comes in just to get some supplements down him all he has is a handfull of hifi lite chaff and a bit of linseed oil. He is worked 5/6 times a week we compete regularly doing a bit of everything.
He has plenty of energy and is looking great!

Tarragon

Visit site
To me the term "bucket feed" is anything other than grazing in a field or anything in a haynet, so yes, my two natives do get a "bucket feed" as part of our daily routine. They live out and it is reason and reward for coming in from across the field when I arrive at the yard. What goes into their bucket could be just a carrot or an apple or a proper feed because I want to given them something extra. What I have fed them has changed over the years as I have learnt more about feeding and what they need and now is Thunderbrook's meadow nuts and base mix. The looks I would get if I turned up without anything would be pitiful and I don't think I could bear the guilt!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
they do get a bucket feed-in that atm they get some timothy chop in a bucket with some salt. I do think mine do better in their coats if they get a mineral supp so they get one in the winter. Shortly they will be moving to a pasture where they will have no interest in timothy chop whatsover lol.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine get breakfast .. high fibre pony nuts, cheap and cheerful and honestly i can fit them all in the palm of my hand. One is on supplements but its easier for me to just let them both walk on yard and eat in their respective tyres rather than faff with trying to get one in/ out! Neither need hard feed at this time of the year, they are fat fat fat!!!

Pippity

Visit site
I've tried giving her token handfuls of chaff and/or speedibeet in an attempt to get a supplement in her, but she won't touch them. Our grazing is good enough that, even in the depths of winter, she just gets her turnout and a haynet. In summer, she gets turnout and a soaked haynet. And a lot more work.

pansymouse

Visit site
Mine won't eat hard feed if there's enough grass for her taste so it's pointless me giving her anything. She does get as few hay cobs as treats periodically which she will eat but there's no way she'll eat chop at this time of year.