Does anyone suffer from back and hip pain?

pocket

Visit site
Is just that I'm an old git or does anyone else suffer from back and hip pain? Mine is much worse if I dont ride for some time.

At the moment my instructor is forcing me to do sitting trot all the time and the lean back wich is killing me. When I hack out, after about 10 mins, I have to stand up and move my hips about and its 10 times worse if I'm in a showing class
frown.gif

Anyone got any tips for an old hag with back pain
crazy.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I get both quite bad, worse if I ride in a synthetic saddle. Apparently the heather moffat seat savers are good, as are these back supports you can buy. Never tried either, so can't personally recommend but worth a try.

rach1984horse

Visit site
Heather Moffat Seat savers are great. Have only ridden in one once but I have back and hip problems too but found it really great.

Can't see Flexi Stirrups being a problem for dressage or showing.

wandaful

New User
Visit site
Another old hag here with the same problems, I use sprenger stirrup irons and have found that a WOW saddle helps me a lot. Before I got the WOW I did find the Heather Moffat seat saver really helpful. I do exercises with a gym ball which is great when I'm not able to ride for some reason, then I'm not as crippled when I get back on the neddy again and I have a Tens machine for my back. Relaxation exercises are a good idea, I thought the physio was bats when she said breathe out though the pain but is does work, it's just finding out the technique to do it. If you are in pain I would avoid the sitting trot because if you are tight and tense because of the pain it won't help you or the horse and you'll both end up with bad backs! I can't hack for long distances (or even short ones),without getting off and walking occasionally, then I have to find a wall that I can get onto to be able to get on the horse!
grin.gif

Marbs

community.webshots.com
Heather Moffat seat savers and flexi stirrups. Can't vouch for flexi stirrups on the hip front (just first hand experience for knees) but apparently supposed to be good for not exacerbating hip pain when in the saddle. Although not sure if the cheapy version are quite as good as the lovely expensive ones. The seat saver is great for back pain.

hunteress

Visit site
Flexie styrups are great, don't do sitting trot why do you need to get someone else to school your horse you do it now and again also find a McTimoney practitioner to have a look at you mine sorted me out very gentle top to toe something might just be out, also I use a bioflow bracelet, good luck.

calon

Visit site
hi i am the same i fell like a cripple at the mo as im really bad waiting to see consultant about an op . i use wedge stirrup treds they help , when hacking i have to do a short trot regulaerlly or i sieze up i dont get off as couldnt get back on i take tramadol off the doctor which is a great painkiller but as i am so bad at the moment im on morphene awful stuff to take , i should avoid the sitting trot if it causes problems you could make your back worse,bit i too get worse when not riding as riding keeps your stomache and back muscles strong and so supports your your spine , try your doctor again ask to see a consultant chin up

nelliefinellie

Visit site
You shouldnt be doing sitting trot if it hurts that much! Try just a few strides at a time.

I took up Pilates and Ashtanga yoga - killed me for the 1st few weeks then my back and pelvis got so much better. Havent been for about 6 weeks due to work commitments and the old pains are creeping back. The ashtanga yoga is quite intense, pilates is steadier and works on developing core strength an stability. Make sure you go to a class witha a qualified instructor.

VikkiBP

Visit site
I get the same at times and cramp also around my neck of femur. I have 2 dodgy discs as it is, one neck one back and physio has helped me. I also work in Clinical Therapy, of which Physio is a part of that and you can self refer, although this is not advertised. Why not ask for an assessment just to make sure everything is where it should be, they can also give you a personal home exercise plan to keep the aches and pains away.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I have a slipped disc so i suffer from back pain,it also affects my hips too. I have had osteopathy and accupuncture for years which has helped immensely,cant recommend both treatments enough,but its got to be a good practitioner,i am trying to find some in bristol as i left my old ones behind when i moved sadly.

hantastic

Visit site
Pilates.

I have always had a really bad back, my spine is not straight. Which is not helped by the boy of fatness being so wide, i was forever out in my pelvis. I hadnt noticed the difference until i stopped pilates for 2 weeks as our instructor was away. It really does make a huge difference. And so much cheaper than continual trips to the physio and chiro.

Peanot

Visit site
gosh, so many of us riders and horse owners suffer with bad backs!
My back used to `go` and it would leave me unable to walk, let alone ride. It was so painful esp when one time I had lumbago at the same time. I was in bed for 4 days. It used to knock me off my feet. Then it would go all down into my hips. I went to a chiro, osteopath, accupunturist, horse whisperer who claimed he was a healer too, reiki, you name it, I tried it.
confused.gif

I started going to a kinesiologist and she helped a lot. She used to massage my back, usually lower L4-L5 region and around my hips. Sometimes my hips were unlevel too.
Over the last few years, with treatment, when my back would `go`, it wouldn`t last as long and although very painful, I would get treatment and within a week, I`d be riding again.
In February this year I decided that there must be something that wasn`t holding, and decided to go to a physio. To cut a long story short, he basically told me that my core muscles weren`t supporting my back muscles. He gave me some light exercises that I had to do for a week before seeing him again. The following week he gave me more exercises, and the following week, a follow-up exercise that I have to do every day. I do these exercises before bedtime after a shower. I sometimes miss out a day or two but I do them most days. I have since been x-c training and competing and show jumping and have been able to walk and be `normal` the next day, whereas before I wouldn`t be able to do a lot the following day. You all ought to get checked over to see if there are exercises for you. You will be pleased that you did.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Seriously... go and see a chiropractor - it's the only way to overcome problems like this - I have terrible problems since a bad fall - but the chiro always sorts me out!
smile.gif

Kate x

rosedewar

Visit site
Supporting the core muscles through Phsio exercises has similar aim to Pilates (IMO) - either or both should/could be helpful depending on the kind of back pain.

I had 'hyperlordosis' - over-arched lower back, which is very common in riders esp women, and can be helped by Physio / gym ball exercises &/or Pilates & correct posture.

Dr Deb Bennett's article helps explain some of this, and this page looks good - the 2nd photo (blue shorts) is the type of posture I found helpful - just walking about (and pushing wheelbarrows!) with my "tail tucked in" seemed to help my back.
HTH

MagicMelon

Visit site
I get a sore lower back. Had it for years which does tend to get worse if Ive been riding a lot. Although to be honest, I went to the gym lots last year which seems to have sorted it a bit! Its not nearly as bad as it was! So try going to the gym, even just on those step type machines (not concentrating on your back) seems to help build up your back muscles.

Otherwise my main problem is at my shoulder blades! One is like a pulled muscle, after an event it usually hurts like hell but on and off. Like I wont feel it at all, then Ill move and it'll be this very sharp pain for a minute. Once or twice, I actually couldnt move it was so sore. My other shoulder blade bit got sore after my last event but that was more a "tearing" type pain....!! So not sure what thats all about. Have been meaning to go to chiro for ages, but am put off in case they hurt me more!

Us horse riders are all pretty sore most of the time I think!!

the watcher

Visit site
Another sufferer, sadly mostly as a result of falls. Have to stand on something really high just to get on, and pony has to stand completely still while I wedge my feet in the stirrups. However once I am on board i am fine until it is time to get off again (ooo the pain!)
the back man is a life saver, he regularly crunches me back into place. Stretches work for me as an exercise to improve mobility, particularly when done in a nice hot bath to relax the surrounding muscles..and paracetamol most of the time (diazapam for really bad days)
grin.gif