Does anyones horse wear.....

MillionDollar

Visit site
leather pads under its shoes???

I know this probably shouldn't be in here but wanted a quick response.
My mare went lame a few weeks back so had vet who thought it was a foot absess. So he took the shoe off, poulticed and she went on bute. Nothing came out and no absess surfaced so vet thinks it was just brusing (as he could see some when he examined her). Shes a lot better now nearly sound so vet said have farrier out. So had him yesterday and hes put leather pads on her front feet to see if it will help. If shes not sound in a few weeks she'll have to go up and be nerve blocked, etc.

Anyway what do people think of them have they helped??

Farrier told me about a hunter that kept going lame he put leather pads on and he hasn't been lame since. Fingers crossed it will do the same for my mare!

Any comments welcome,
Thanks Claire

KatB

Visit site
Know a flat footed TB who evemted with pads on. Helped him, as just gives an extra "sole". Good luck with it, just cuts down concussion, and likelyhood of bruising with sensitive feet.

Weezy

Visit site
BBs Winston wears pads - has used leather and silicone both have helped him
laugh.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
Had them for a while with my boy in avatar. Once they have been on a bit and the leather shrinks I worry about grit getting between the pad and hoof, and I also found mine was ore likely to lose a shoe when he had thm. There are more advanced methods these days, such as a type of mesh and gel, but they come with a price tag...

Rambo

Visit site
We used to have a pure TB ex-racer with very thin soles. He used to go lame far too often, so we actually used to make our own pads up from old ice-cream tubs
shocked.gif
They did the trick though
smile.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The inventiveness of this lot never ceases to amaze me!
smile.gif
(which part of the tub BTW?!) I think the only down side can be not being able to clean under them? My farrier says leather/ soft ones can cause the shoe to work loose sooner, but they must be better than a sore horsey.

Good luck and hope they sort it for you.

ExRacers

Visit site
My TB had a very troublesome corn on his foot earlier this year & farrier suggested a pad (it wasn't leather - more a sort of firm plastic type stuff but very hardy) and he immediately came sound once it was on & wore it for 3 months until problem was solved. Would not hesitate to do so again & even have them on permanently if it was necessary!!

So I'd definitely say go for it - after all you've got nothing to lose!! Good Luck!

BBs

Visit site
Winston has leather pads on all the time now - due to his shallow soles. Its kept him sound as a pound
smile.gif

We tried silicone to help his ringbone, however, they kept causing absesses
frown.gif
and he had 4 over this last summer!
We are now back on the leather pads and touch wood, havent had any problems
smile.gif

I know a number of eventers who have leather pads on all summer.

The first year I had winston the ground was hard, and he started to go slightly lame, and it was decided that he was brusing his sole we put leathers on and havent had any problems and thats been 3 years now
smile.gif
apart from the pussy feet this summer hes been happy
smile.gif