Does colour influence you when you buy a horse?

measles

Visit site
Goodness. When I posted this thread earlier in the day I had no idea we'd get to page 9!

After everyone's thoughts I should add mine, I guess. When buying horses I have no preference for colour as quality, presence, manners and ability come in all colours. However, in doing that I must confess to having to over ride my natural attraction to chestnut mares and brown horses.

I was fortunate to have a fabulous deep golden palomino with a white mane and tail 14.2hh as a child who won BSPS 15hh WHP classes and jumped to a high level BS and I still have a fondness for a deep, rich palomino though really am not keen on paler ones. Previous personal experience and good horses we have known are an influence often I think, either consciously or subconsciously. However, I do agree that a good horse is never a bad colour! :)

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I love white markings- the more white the better! Colour wise, I don't mind in the least but do have a fondness for chestnuts with lots of white

Starbucks

Visit site
I really like greys, I think just because I've had a couple of really good ones, although they are really not the most practical of colours!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm very interested in horse colour genetics, but I own basic coloured horses with no fancy genes (although one might have satin). My favourite colour from an aesthetic point of view is a bright chestnut with white markings, but that didn't stop me from buying my grey. ;)

I was tempted to ring up about a bay youngster that had a Gulastra plume (grey tail caused by sabino) because I used to own a fab horse with that colour, but I wasn't tempted enough to buy him purely for his colour.

The person who wants a Dun in the OP, probably wants either a Buckskin or a Bay Dun. Personally, I like Black dun and Chestnut dun more but Enfys' super Dunalino is the bees knees of all duns.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I have a thing for coloured horses, have decided I want my next horse to be a dark bay tobiano mare with a reasonable amount of (though not too many) white markings. White legs are quite important though! I will try to actively find one like this but in the likely event that I can't find a horse with these precise markings that matches my search criteria (must also have potential to be very good at dressage, have a lovely personality, sound and be able to jump), I will settle for something in a different colour-scheme which fullfills the bracketed almost equally important criteria!

I am not generally a fan of boring bays in principle but actually have met several of them that are absolutely lovely so like many others have said no I would not be put off buying a horse if it wasn't my favourite colour!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Yes they do.

I would not buy a boring bay
or
chestnut
black
they are common.

me I like duns firstly

then pagomino's.
then any other nice looking odd colour.

Tho must say I do have a soft spot for a nice grey.

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes I prefer black or bay horses or minimally white marked black/bay coloureds would be my next choice.

I would like A buckskin/dun but you end up paying more for these due to colour which is annoying really.

Sportznight

Visit site
It's not the keeping clean of a any grey, coloured or pale horse, that gets to me, it's the abundance of white/pale hairs that seem to stick to EVERYTHING!!! When I put my bay mare in-foal to a homozygous coloured stallion, it was because he ticked a lot of the boxes I was looking for AND was guaranteed a coloured. It wasn't until she was well in-foal that I suddenly realised that the foal was (knowing my luck) likely to have a brown ear and a patch over one loin, rather like a Jack Russell! So, in my infinite wisdom (or insanity, you choose :D), I took to talking to her stomach, telling the unborn foal, that I didn't really care what colour it was, but please, if a filly, for God's sake have a black/brown tail and not matter what, as little pink on the nose as possible. And this is what I got - a black tailed filly :D
256631_10150215169216599_597146598_7529577_3203251_o.jpg

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
Yes!! If its not Spotty/Roan/Dun/Coloured or Black I'm not interested. I have a Roan gelding, a Coloured mare and a bay roan fading to Grey foal who is likely to be interesting colours on the way :D

now_loves_mares

Visit site
And certainly not page 10!

Only page 3 for me - the page comments always confuse me!

Anyway firstly, who are all those people saying they are more worried if it's a mare (Joss, FlyingCoo, I'm looking at you) then Boo Hiss to you :p

Secondly as someone else alluded to up thread: I tend to buy TBs and they tend to come in shiny plain colours. I've only ever owned dark bay, chestnut and bright bay. Bright bay is my favourite - hence I keep sneaking a peek at Impy!. All of the above shine with very little effort. Essentially I am lazy :rolleyes:

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I don't care what colour it is - although any variation of brown is quite practical and means I save on shampooing time! :eek:

I do like horses with a nice face though, not sure if I could have an 'ugly' horse...

starryeyed

Visit site
When I was horse hunting I didn't search for a specific colour but I have always had a huge soft spot for duns, palominos and dappled greys so did get more drawn towards those as I scrolled down endless web pages
When I went to see my 'chosen one' i will admit (as terrible as it is!) that i fell completely in love with her appearance rather than her personality! She is wonderful but when I went to try her she was completely nuts. If she had been any other colour (she's blonde :eek:) then I know I would have walked away.

Last edited:

MegaBeast

Visit site
Only page 3 for me - the page comments always confuse me

Same here, changed the default setting to 40 comments per page rather than 10, much easier!

I have always lusted after a rich palamino but am unlikely to ever own one as like TBs, or TBxID. From a logical point of view would avoid greys but if a good one comes along then it wouldn't be an issue. I tent to do a full bath twice weekly anyway all year round so not too bothered about the keeping clean aspect. Any solid coloured horse with white stockings and blaze is a real eye catcher.

Any colour is fine however in all honesty. But could not cope with an unevenly marked coloured where the two sides don't match. Also have a thing about big white faces, not a fan.

WeeBrown

Visit site
Yes colour was really important to me :) I definitely did NOT want anything grey (or 16hh or mare)and what did I end up with?! I would love Impy, your recent dark boy or your new dun but my OH allowing my 2nd and 3rd horse purchases surprised me, I'd def not get a 4th without offloading one of the other 3 first :)

3bh

Visit site
I won't have another grey, had two, lost one to a very aggressive spread of melanomas, got brown ones now and realise that I wasted a good few years of my life just cleaning the bloody grey things! No matter how much you bath/scrub/polish you still look like you have only made half an effort. Clip them and you look like you have skinned them. And yes I agree that white bits grow thicker and fluffier and shed twice as enthusiastically as any other colour!! That said, I bought a lovely dun connie that is rapidly turning white -ARGH!!

On a personal note, and absolutely no offence intended as some of my very good friends have the following, I'd never have an appaloosa, I could be persuaded by a good minimal coloured, I LOVE a nice roan of any colour, mum has a bay and a strawberry and they are so lovely!

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
Yes, I prefer coloureds and have a real soft spot for big chestnuts, but I'd never disregard a horse on its colour if it'd do the job i wanted.

When we were looking for our first horse we said we didnt want a coloured/grey cob so we ended up with Bella: a blue skewbald (looks grey) cob x ID, and she has been just what we needed.

Undecided

Visit site
Everybody has that image of their perfect horse in their head so I'd say that yes some people go out looking for a specific colour. I really wanted a steel grey when I was looking but ended up with a bay because he did everything I asked of him willingly and looked like he could really become something with a lot of work and that was more important to me than colour. We are still working hard 3 years on but he is improving every single day to become my perfect horse :)

Javabb94

Visit site
If the horse is right for me, then no colour to me doesn't matter in the slightest.

Obviously there are colours I like more than others although when buying colour has no influence for me although that's just me, other people may be looking for a specific colour for what they plan to do with the horse

All the horses/ponies I have ever owned have been bay or chestnut - must be my lucky colours as they have all been fab!

MandyMoo

Visit site
I am slightly biased towards chestnuts because every chestnut we have owned has been worth their weight in gold. However I really am not fussed, I will acknowledge a horses colour on viewing them, however I wouldn't put it into account when deciding if they were 'the horse for me'.

JGC

Visit site
I would look at any colour but I do worry about the cancer risk in greys (I have just been offered a ride on one though!) plus I am pants at turnout. I have secretly always wanted a black beauty though.

I have a friend who when buying refused to look at anything that wasn't a dark bay - she has that coloured hair and takes matchy matchy super seriously ...

Polotash

Visit site
plus I am pants at turnout. I have secretly always wanted a black beauty though.

Black beauties show the dust badly you know ;0)

I was just reminded of this thread when looking on BD classifieds. There's a very nice mare on there who has a face marked like a Hereford cow... now for £22,000, that would put me off!