Does everyone crate train??

Toffee44

Visit site
Everyone one here seems to crate train their puppies?

We have three utility rooms (tiled) about 6ft x 6ft with a 8ft x 6ft hall the one room we have made into a dog room/tack room/ rug room. Dylan gets this room and the hall at night or when we are out with no access to the ajoining kitchen. He very rarely poo'd in there and hasnt had a wee accident for a whole week now (hes 11weeks now) if we are at home and he has the run of the ground floor we just have to look for signs and take him out ASAP or he legs it for the back door (only done this for 3 days).

So why lock a dog in such a small space aka crate??? I can understand maybe crate training a puppy until toileting is established even if it takes 6 months, but why continue locking a dog in crate when its an adult?

Im not criticising or disagreeing with crates I just down fully understand their role.

Discuss :D

Last edited:

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry isn't shut in his normally, but it does come in very handy when we go away to places. Means I don't have to worry about making sure rooms are dog proofed, since he does get a bit wandery wandery rootley rootley when we are away from home:rolleyes::eek: I never had it for house training reasons, more to stop him nicking stuff every time I went upstairs for a bath!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Because all dogs are different. I don't crate train mine, because I've never needed to, other people do. And 'locking a dog in a crate' isn't really the idea :)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I use one with an adult dog (she isn't a puppy any more, aghh, when did that happen?!) to combat separation anxiety.

Despite some very expensive and tiresome attempts at dogproofing a room it just wasn't working - being able to pace back and forth, scrabble at the door etc. was just escalating the anxiety she felt at being left and sending her into a frenzy despite all the careful step by step measures we were doing to try and desensitise her to being alone. In a way it was also for toileting issues as she was so anxious she would pee herself. :(

The crate is her 'safe zone' - nothing bad ever happens in there, from day one it was associated only with good things and therefore it is a wonderful, calming place to be and despite what's happening outside of it (i.e me leaving), oh well, I'm in here and there's a tasty bone and a kong and om nom nom...

She's crated whenever she's left alone which sounds terrible but in reality that's just two hours a day, four days a week, and it's an absolutely huge crate!

I have had the crate system proven to me once again just this evening. My dad came to visit and within five minutes of him arriving she'd carefully taken her bones and toys into the crate and hidden them under the bed - dad is an awful dog-teaser and will steal her toys and wind her up with them, so she'd put them all in a safe place where he couldn't go. :D

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used mine as i had my puppy when i worked at a yard so it kept her safe when the horses were going backwards and forwards,also used it in the car so i could have the windows open safely. also used one when i got a new puppy for night times and when i was out and left the 2 dogs together so puppy was safe. my older dog loves her crate and sleeps in it most nights out of choice.....the door is left open all the time....if a dog is used to using a crate they can be very useful ,if a dog needs to be kept quiet because of an injury/operation, or if you are staying at someone elses house it can help the dog to settle as they have a familiar place to call their own. i also feelit is safer to have them enclosed in the car.....hope this helps you to understand why i have used crates. i have owned dogs for 40 years and have only used crates in the last 7years so am a recent convert.:D

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I've never used a crate until now and that is mainly as it is nigh on impossible to make a safe area in my flat. I grew up in a family where we never eve used a crate so its all been a big learning curve. But well worth it for me and Toby. He loves his crate, well, I think he actually loves his bed and wherever it was he would sleep!
I do not agree with locking dogs up all the time in a crate, I know some who just use the crate nearly all the time just to get the dog from under their feet. This makes me think, why have a dog?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
You don't use the crate as a convenient place to lock dogs away. I had to crate Jake when he had his cruciate ops as he had to be immobilised as much as possible. Fortunately, he was very relaxed about it, given I never trained him for it as a baby.

With the pups, I crate trained as I didn't feel it was safe to leave them with the big dog at first and I wanted them to have somewhere of their own and so that the big dog could see and get used to them. I was also aware that a crate might be needed at some point-paranoid after Jake needing 2 ops. :(

They currently ignore the cage and prefer the big dog bed, but it's there if they want it and they go in there still on certain occasions because they were trained to do so eg last night time treat. I don't insist, they just do it. They are never locked in anymore :)

It's no different from locking them in one room, really. They like secure places like a den, so the smallest crate for the dog is recommended, especially when they're very young.

SusieT

Visit site
Nope.. I don't.. Never had, considered it for a rescue but it would very much be a temporary solution and to me not an acceptable one if another suitable space is available that is fairly dog proof. I don't like them and would not like myself to be kept in one, but I suppose I use the same principles with their beds/dog rooms, i.e thats where they know is their safe space where food, water and bed is provided and peace and quiet.

CAYLA

Visit site
As a rescue we crate train as a means to "re train" dogs that have been handed in via owners that have never bothered to tran the to train he dog from the word go, so we most commonly get.
We would haveno means to re train and rehome and would have to put alot more dogs to sleep if we had no mean to rate them.

A, Dogs handed in to be put to sleep because they have destroyed the house when left or bark the place down when left alone.
B, Urinate and deficate everywhere and the "owners" could not train them not to do so.

The above ismore than "not crate trainin" of course it also lack of exercise/stimulation and routine, and alot of inpatience on the previous owners behalf.
Obs some breeds suffer moe form anxiety and some are more prone to destroy when bored or anxious no matter how much exercise the are given.

As a rescue for safety (we cannot leave 20 dogs) together running loose when we arenot there and not all out dogs are kenneled (we dont have space) and some would not cope so well, so we have indoor doggi rooms with crates.
We also re train the dog to "hold their motions" via the crate as dogs will try where possible not to pass in a small space they are in as they tend to be clean., but in a large space they can/will often pass and walk away, which is what the have been doing previous to us taking them.

We can also at the same time train them to remain safe/secure and comfortable in a space when left alone without barking, destruction (as that option is taken away) it also means whe we rehome the owner can use a crate of ours (and return) or buy a one and the dogs settles with "no stress" as the are used to their little crate even though the environment has completeky changed, so bedtime for the owner is peaceful and they can go out and leave the dog wit no worries, unlike dogs taken home from a kennel type rescue, where the new owners may experience passing of motions or get a dog with seperation issues and by this stage the owner will struggle to try and crate train or deal with the issues when having to go back to work, so the dog often gets returned to the rescue or they may not return and work with the issues or have no issues at all in few cases.

Not everyone has a "room" which is chew proof and can be cleaned (I do) but I still have crates up all the time and my dogs prefer them, even though non need them.
Also as suggesed, environments change and there maybe a time when the dog has to be caged, vets/kennels/recovering from illness for strict rest, and a dog that has never experienced one until an older age will get very stressed (I see it at work all the time) yet all mine will happily go in a kennel at work and chill with no fuss or in the van or to recover from an op.

It's als a good safety aid for small puppies who could othewise climb on something and fall, chew through wires, and injure themselves when left unsupervised, and the aim is when they mature to phase the crate out, by this stage the dog has never gotten into the habit of chewing, can remain alone and will not pass motions, so fully fledged and trained and no need for rate, although some will still want theirs.

I have seen so many times people not use a crate/small designated area as a guide to create a routine, only for the dog to start displaying unwanted behaviour months down the line, and by then they will "play hell" when you try and down size the huge space they are used to.

Booboos

Visit site
Small spaces are more comforting for animals that are used to burrowing and nesting, so for most dogs the crate is a place of safety and their home (which is why they don't go to the toilet in it). Large spaces, by contrast, can be confusing and frightening places that are not easily identified as 'home'.

I wouldn't lock a dog in a crate, I would train it to see it as it's home, by giving it time to get used to it, etc. and then I would only leave a dog in a crate for limited hours and with proper stimulation in between.

Oh, yes I always crate train since being introduced to them!

MissTyc

Visit site
My rescues arrived with her crate and the training she'd received at the rescue definitely helped her transition to her new environment (She wasn't, and still isn't, what one would call "house safe" when she's unsupervised - she rips things off walls, forages for anything to eat, jumps out of top floor windows, the list goes on!). We then transitioned her to a kennel by putting her crate inside the kennel. Now that's her bedroom where she stays when she's unsupervised and where she goes when she needs time out from the humans.

Kaylum

Visit site
I never have but a person I know did and they are still locked away at night 2 years later and when this person goes out. I am afraid they wont learn how to behave if they keep locking them away. They need time to be dogs otherwise they might as well just keep them like caged birds bring them out when they are allowed to play. Just laziness on their part. When they are puppies and learning house-training fair enough.

haycroft

Visit site
i used a crate..have one large on in the kitchen kept open,they have either the sofa or another bed which they can choose to sleep rest
its not any different than being in a crate in the car..for safety
peolpe who dont use crate at home,do you allow you dog in the car free roaming

yes i also most of the time lock them in overnite due to the fact my two are the biggest thieves out,and my youngest is still going through the chewing stage..their cage is by the radiator and are happy in there,they can both stand up and move around

i feel that a crate/cage is a sensible thing to have esp if if you have children esp young ones,the dogs can go somewhere safe and not pulled around/bothered my the very young kid(toddles)
crate/cage should never be used as a punishment or for long periods of time

ps they are not locked in the crate throughout the day,they are with me most of the time

also i feel 'if' they ever needed to stay at the vets and had to be put in a cage they wouldnt get stressed as much being locked in
not every owner has a dog/utilty room where their dogs can go and rest and undisturbed

Skippys Mum

Visit site
I'm another one who crate trains all my dogs. I set a crate up in the kitchen and my collie pup is in there overnight or if I'm out. He is starting to get short times left in the kitchen and conservatory but I dont trust him overnight or alone for too long.

He has a problem with peeing and dribbles a bit. Fortunately, he manages to hold when he's in his crate but still has wee accidents when free range (although £370 at the vets later we are nearly there!).

He will end up out the crate (and probably in the bedroom with us at night - everyone else seemed to end up in there) as soon as the peeing and chewing is sorted.

I'm a dog groomer so they come with me to work. If there is a cage door open in the shop they invariably choose to go and lie in it.

We finally took Splash on holiday with us last year and took a crate with us - he got popped in it when we went for our meal in the hotel but the rest of the time he was with us. We didnt need to worry about him being left in a strange place as he was quite happy.

Crates should not be used to shut a dog away for extended periods of time just to make life easier for the owner but they are a valuable resource, when used correctly, to ensure both dogs and humans are happy and content with each other.

Oh, and for the record, I crate trained my cats:D. Meant I could safely leave small kittens and collies in the one place without worrying about disasters. Everyone got a chance to get used to one another through the bars and they got together when I could keep an eye on everyone. Made life so much easier:D
2004_0612Image0004800x600.jpg

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Pickle is still only 17 weeks old so we still use her crate at night. It is her place, where she feels safe. The door is open all of the time when we are home and she often choses to sleep in there during the day...... her favourite place though is next to us on the sofa :D As soon as we get home we open the door but she is never in a rush to get out, she just donders out at her own pace.

Our downstairs is open plan and she is a terrible thief and chews, our house would be wrecked without the crate! I have a landy and she goes in the back with a bed....although I do need to get a dog guard as she is almost big enough to climb the back seat :rolleyes:

I was not sure about them until I spoke to guys on here and Cayla sent me her puppy crating guide which is brilliant, and i have passed onto my Dad for the arrival of his puppy in 3 weeks time :D

It is far from lazyness on our part, it is Pickles space, where she feels safe and quiet :D

Ranyhyn

Visit site
My dogs are crate trained - they stay in their crate over night.

I did this so I could go to sleep safe in the knowledge they can't get to anything. It's their place to go also when they want to be left alone - other than a quick pat, I don't bother them when they are in there. I guess its the equivalent of a wolf's den.

Wherever I go now, hotels, other people's houses etc I can stay over and take my dogs - they are safe and clean in their crate so we're welcome everywhere!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Evie was crate trained as a puppy, it wasn't my intention to keep using it for her as an adult, but she regards it as her space and always chooses to lie in there. I do still shut her in at night as she shares the kitchen with my older bitch who has a sight problem, I feel it is better for her if Evie is out of her way at night. As said above Evie knows the bed time routine and as soon as I go for her biscuit she is in her crate waiting. She is usually left in an outside kennel and run when I am at work but during the very cold weather I weighed up the options and chose to leave her in her crate, never for more than 5 hours, and always with a good walk before and after.

cobgirlie

Visit site
Nope never had the need for puppies. Got a cage to shut the fosters in for time out if when they first come they decide my cat needs bouncing or get cocky with my bitch, but otherwise Mi Casa Es Su Casa for dogs and humans alike.

Alec Swan

Visit site
....... but otherwise Mi Casa Es Su Casa.

I've googled your quote, and the best that I can do, is discover that a Casa, is a type of bed and breakfast in Cuba :confused:!! Perhaps you could explain it to a numb skull. :)

Otherwise, those dogs which I've had, and which have lived in the house, have their own bed. It's a place of sanctuary. It's a place which is entirely "theirs". On the rare occasions when a puppy is in the house, and they get squared up, then they are never approached whilst they are on their bed.

Others feel the need for sticking dogs in cages. I'm not amongst them, and would prefer to have a dog consider what I expect, rather than shut it in a cage. So many will tell me that they have a "crate" for their dog, but the door's always open. Why a crate in that case? Why not just a bed?

Dogs which live in kennels are effectively living in a crate. I accept that, but that is through necessity. Dogs which live en famile, are best off learning their place within the family, and not being shut into cages.

Few will agree with me, because all so many appear to utilise the practice. I accept that within rescue centres, the dog will hopefully be "in transit", so to speak, but within a family home, I fail to see the need for it.

Alec.

mollichop

Visit site
I've never crated and had 3 from pups, much to the detriment of my hallway :rolleyes: which had several war wounds thanks to Paddington.

He has not touched a thing for over a year now as he has learnt what is acceptable.

As I work part time (5 hours a day Mon-Fri) I don't feel comfortable shutting my dogs in such a confined space for this period. They have the run of the house and although in reality probably never leave the sofa, they have the choice of mooching about and if needs be, shouting at the front door as a deterrent.

Guard dog in a box is about as much use to me as a bottle without a corkscrew :D

cobgirlie

Visit site
I've googled your quote, and the best that I can do, is discover that a Casa, is a type of bed and breakfast in Cuba :confused:!! Perhaps you could explain it to a numb skull. :)

Otherwise, those dogs which I've had, and which have lived in the house, have their own bed. It's a place of sanctuary. It's a place which is entirely "theirs". On the rare occasions when a puppy is in the house, and they get squared up, then they are never approached whilst they are on their bed.

Others feel the need for sticking dogs in cages. I'm not amongst them, and would prefer to have a dog consider what I expect, rather than shut it in a cage. So many will tell me that they have a "crate" for their dog, but the door's always open. Why a crate in that case? Why not just a bed?

Dogs which live in kennels are effectively living in a crate. I accept that, but that is through necessity. Dogs which live en famile, are best off learning their place within the family, and not being shut into cages.

Few will agree with me, because all so many appear to utilise the practice. I accept that within rescue centres, the dog will hopefully be "in transit", so to speak, but within a family home, I fail to see the need for it.

Alec.

'My house is your house' ;) I have a plaque (now is that the right way to spell that????) on my house with a group of dogs and that inscription.. basic translation is it's open house for dogs or humans alike.

I'm with you on the crating issue, can see the advantages to some but personally I've yet to feel the need to use them other than in my van for transporting and as I said for fosters that need time out...which in a house of usually 13+ dogs (resident and fosters) is sometimes needed for new boys who are struggling to control themselves. My house is 'dog friendly' enough without having to encage them completely, I have outside kennels for rescues who cannot cope with a multi dog family, until we are able to rehome them or find another rescue who can assist. I don't foster young puppies as I work so that's not an issue for me, when I adopt my own puppies it's only done at a time when I'm not working...which sadly in the last 7 years hasn't been possible..so it's old, wonky, broken dogs for now until I win the lottery and can have time off work to adopt a cute naughty pup!!:D

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
My rescue terrier was a home-wrecker and underwent some behavioural training whilst in kennels. In order to establish some ground-rules, from Day 1 she was crated in the house. I had the rules to observe and from the very start she accepted the crate as her refuge, quiet time and takes herself off in there as soon as she comes in. Part of the family - yes, definitely. Free run of the house to sniff and rummage and jump on and off furniture - sorry, no. She blew that at the last home (thanks to clueless owners) and she's perfectly happy with her position now. It's her bedroom, and out of the way place, where I rarely disturb her. I only shut the door overnight.

Alec Swan

Visit site
....... I had the rules to observe and from the very start she accepted the crate as her refuge, quiet time and takes herself off in there as soon as she comes in....... and she's perfectly happy with her position now. It's her bedroom, and out of the way place, where I rarely disturb her. I only shut the door overnight.

THAT Brighteyes, is the perfect description of a "Dog's Bed"!! :D

Alec.

Pix

Visit site
I have a crate for mine, the first time I've ever used one. In fact, until recently crates didn't actually register on my radar. To be honest my initial reaction was 'what the hell for?!'

I do love it now I have it though (introduced when pup was 7 months, so not straight away). Loki is a bit of a victim of forward planning, in that I planned for pup to arrive at a time that I would be around all the time in order to sort basic house training for as long as his baby bladder needed. I'm happy to admit that I didn't leave him alone for long enough periods in his first few months, I effed that one up a bit basically. The short periods he was alone each day didn't prepare him for me leaving for a few hours at a time later on. Once I went back to lectures/seminars/lab sessions I was on a timetable that changed massively from day to day. I'm never gone for long, but there's no real routine to my absence. End result is a pup that would stress when left, and as dogs do, comforted himself by chewing. I don't really care if he destroys things, that's hand-in-hand with having a pup. But I DO care if he swallows something that isn't good for him. Sadly I can't make a dog-proofed room, or dog-proof the entire flat. The fact that he can open all our doors doesn't help :rolleyes:

So now he has his Man Cave for the few hours I'm out. He likes the Man Cave! He's always tired when he goes in, and the room is always dark, with extra blankets for the den-like feel. When in the Man Cave he works on his Kong and, should it expire before I return, has a well earned nap in his cosy little den.

The Man Cave is generally selected as his sleeping spot at night, although he's never closed in over night. He sleeps in my bedroom and twigged house training quickly enough that there would be no need to shut him in over night (not too sure I'd use a crate for house training, pups need to go over night after all. If you gotta go you gotta go :eek:). He knows that when I get into bed that's sleeping time, and settles instantly, be it in his cave or at the end of my bed warming my feet (or if it's really cold, with his wet nost stuck into my neck, argh!).

TBH I'd love a kennel and run for him during the day if I go out for a few hours, or a dog room. But I have neither. He likes the Man Cave and I can focus on running dull ANOVA tests on fake data for a couple of hours without feeling sick with worry that he will eat a battery from a badly hidden remote, or some **** like that :p

So all in all, from a new crate user, they get a thumbs up from me :) I'm like a convert but without the annoying knocking on doors and pamphlets.

CAYLA

Visit site
Crates do have a fab use, and some may never need them, they have been a god sent for us as a rescue, (why I started using them) also more dogs would be pts if crates where not available.
Unlike cobgirl, I would not kennel a rescue at my home, I dont take in "straight forward" cases, I take in dogs that need behavioural guidance and dogs with aggression (maybe towards other dogs), usually big [unacceptable term removed] capable of alot of damage:p and to kennel them would heighten their aggression/stress, so to either leave them to run of my doggy room or crate them to keep other dogs safe (then that is what I do) I also dont have the luxury no to take puppies:( so again for (safety) they are crated, the pups we let go are also 100% clean (you cannot say that for all rescues ;) it also means the owner does not have to tackle to whole "crate training issues" sleepless nights, urinating, deficating, because I did it before they went (no laziness on my behalf either) it's bloody hard work.
We let alot of puppies go to homes with adult dogs, so again the crate is a good place to keep the puppy safe but keep the dogs together when unsupervised.
Again, the difference between a dog that has been crated or not when we have them in at work (is very apparent) even though I do not need to crate my own dogs I still think crates are invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:

prosefullstop

Visit site
I used one to house-train my Boston terrier, but did not need one beyond that. She is a fantastic traveller, and will hop inside her bag and sleep whenever we need to travel by train or take a short flight. Inside our apartment, I leave shoes everywhere, and neither she nor the pug are interested in destroying things. The pug is a scavenger when we're travelling, so we simply make sure to store away food before we go out. Both dogs are regular travellers to hotels, guest houses and holiday rentals, and are always well-behaved.

On the flipside, my SIL's Collie X is destructive and needs to be crated if left for a couple of hours. The dog is exercised for hours every day, including plenty of lake swimming, and I believe it's better for a crate to be use rather than let the dog destroy the house.