Does everyone give their horses a holiday?

kgillham

New User
Visit site
Just wondering what the general views are if and when you give your horses a period of time off during the year, for eventers this would naturally be at the end of the season but I'm interested for how many weeks and if you literally rough off and don't ride at all or if you keep things ticking over and what about you SJ and dressage peeps who could basically compete all your round?

showjump2003

Visit site
Ummm, during term time I'm away at uni so my horses get all week off and are ridden at the weekends lol. So that's enough of a holiday! I know it's not ideal but it's th ebest arrangement we can come up with!

dieseldog

Visit site
No, and they all keep on jumping so I guess they don't mind. Only time they have had time off is if I've had an accident or gone on holiday

I_A_P

Visit site
im going to give horses abput 6 weeks around december not a nice month to ride in any way
smile.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
I usually give my eventer a week or two off over xmas, and he does nothing, then when I bring him back into work I just slowly start walking, then trotting etc building it up

Rambo

Visit site
Mine is going to have between 10 days and 1 month off in August...depending on how he goes on thursday
shocked.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
Mine never do, unless I go on holiday and they are not used in the riding school that week (there both on working livery)

SillyMare

Visit site
Yes, they get a short break in the summer when the ground is hard (not much for them to be doing then anyway). Lexi has just had 3 weeks rest and started walking today - she will build up slowly to her next event in Sept.

At the end of the season they will get a proper break of 6 weeks or so and then back into work aiming for pre-season dressage / SJ in Jan and Feb.

Folara

Visit site
As I am often on my hols in August we dont compete in that month but General does still keep working.

He then gets a few weeks off completely around Xmas and the New Year.

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
D had a few weeks off after his 3DE in June, but he has a proper break at the end of the season. November he has a full two weeks off, then just gets ridden at weekends up until the end of December. Fitness training starts again in January so he's already for the start of the season in April.

wodger_woo

Visit site
I have in the past given my lad most of the winter 'off' (I occasionaly go for a gentle hack) last year he had tons of time off due to me being with child LOL
Every year I have the same problems of him having a bit of 'attitude' when he comes back into work. This year, due to his extended holiday this 'attitude' has lasted ages GRRRRR and it only seems now that I seem to be working through it.
This winter I'm going to hunt him so that he is doing something different but still being worked to see if he is better next year.
I actually believe is the sort of horse that needs regular work and competing to keep his mind on the job.

Taz975

Visit site
Our SJers always have a month off in the field every year, when it depends on their level etc. Usually somewhen over the winter time. I think they appriciate the time off TBH, the youngsters need it to rest and get their heads round life and the older ones to stop them going stale.

BBs

Visit site
Winston and Bally always have a month off after their last event. Last season it was forced as Winston got an illness which meant he had to be turned away at the end of september.

This season hopefully he will run until October, and then he will have a full month off - he actually gets really grumpy as he likes being in work. Will do some cubbing alongside eventing and then he can have his holiday before brought back into work and do some BSJA and Dressage comps
smile.gif

I really noticed when he came back into work after his holiday he was much brighter
smile.gif
I did very little schooling just hacking and jumping and he loved it
smile.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
My mare has time off every winter - ranging from 2 weeks - 2 months. After the two months' ones (when I take her shoes off and let her get really hairy) she comes back renewed with vigour and well-behavedness! She'd due a long'en this year which she'll be really pleased about.

pottamus

Visit site
My horse gets a holiday at the same time as me! We went on holiday for 1 week last month for the first time in years, so my boy had that week off too, which I am sure he was pleased about! I do endurance/pleasure rides and the season goes right through to Nov and starts again in Feb time so I am afraid he it ticked over all winter to keep him fit and ready for next year.

druid

Visit site
Yep, as soon as the hunt and hunter trial season is over ours get shoes pulled and are turned away for 4 weeks.

machannah

Visit site
Definately! They deseve one as much as anyone else. Normally from end of eventing season October time through till mid December. Fitness work from Dec through till Jan, inc flatwork and then some jumping and then normally to get things going again a nice team chase etc at the end of Feb

Every year, esp with a maturing horse they came back even better after their holidays!