Does he need the vet?

showjump

Visit site
Last night my horse managed to get his leg caught in his lead rope. Neither string nor quick realse clip on the rope snapped. I managed too unclip him, he was all in a panic poor lad.

Leg has rope burn mark just above the knee, which i hosed and put alovera soothing gel on. Gave him a bute in his tea last night.

This morning he's sore too touch it obviously, but its swelled up alot. Both above and below the knee, just worried he might need the vet? Or shall i carry on cold hosing etc?

Thanks, worried mum here!!
confused.gif

lauraandjack

Visit site
Is he lame? It is likely to be quite bruised and sore obviously. Speaking as a vet I would probably advise you to do exactly what you are doing i.e bute and cold hosing anyway.

If he's not lame I would carry on as you are and turn him out in a small area if he's sensible, this will help the swelling to disperse. Otherwise give him some hand walking to keep it moving.

If he is significantly lame then get vet to see it sooner rather than later.

spike123

Visit site
as it is a burn and burns are basically open to infection then yes definitely call the vet. The swelling may suggest that there is deeper tissue damage of some kind.

kirstie

Visit site
I would call the vet out if i were you. The few burns like that i have seen have resulted in proud flesh if not treated.
One of them didn't even look too bad and now has a hideous scar.
I just think its better to be safe than sorry sometimes. (and i'm not one of those people who calls the vet out a lot at all!)

gummybear

Visit site
Why dont you just call the vet - explain what has happened and what you are doing to treat it - and they will let you know whether they think they need to come out or not.

showjump

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The burn mark has just taken the hair off, its not too major. I will go up at dinner time and hose it and see how he is. Havent checked if hes lame, it was hammering it down this morning when i went up to the yard.
Will try and get a picture too.

Thanks guys.

showjump

Visit site
Dont know
confused.gif
, think he was trying too eat the weeds under the fence where he was tied up. I always tied up on a short lead, so this cannot happen! Cannot understand why the quick release clip didnt give, thought thats what there for?!

Poor lad was all a dither, he doesnt want to be sold, think he wants too stay with me!
wink.gif

kellyeaton

Visit site
just cold hose bute keep putting your aloe vera on and some arnica for the brusing and if anything call ostepath to make sure he has not pulled anything!

cellie

Visit site
Dont want to panic you but my horse had very similiar accident last year.He managed to pull chunk of timber off stable block at same time I had string and quick release as well.I called the vet he checked him over and said he was ok.Several months of lameness followed and I had scan done to find he had torn tendon behind the knee proximal sdfd.This doesnt always show up as swelling like normal tendon.As it wasnt treated it became worse and ended up being 80% tear.If in any doubt have scan done in about 10 days and continue with rest and cold hosing.Hopefully you will be lucky and its only a burn.My boy galloped of with timber attached and banging round his leg but it was the lead rope twisting round his knee that did damage.Let us know how he is.