Does it sound like he's unhappy?

Chex

Visit site
I seem to be having so many problems with Chex just now! I've given up on the long-reining, so I'm now just leading him out in hand ( I can't ride until february). Every time I take him out, he strides out, drags me about and seems fine, but he just has an unhappy look on his face, and his ears are rarely really forward (not pinned back, but usually definately set back). At least once on every outing he'll squeal and try to gallop off (like how he acts if he's playing in the field with his pals). He's been on Danilon for 2 weeks now for his arthritis (he's about 24).

Do you think he sounds unhappy? I wondered if he was in pain, but I'm just walking him out in a headcollar, and the vet was out a fortnight ago, and apart from arthritis there's nothing wrong with him! I know this sounds stupid, but I don't think that a walk around the field should be so terrible that he hates it! Or maybe he's just entering his grumpy old man stage. Would he trying to gallop because he's in pain? or unhappy? I'd like to think its becasue he's happy and excited, but then are his ears back!? I've owned him almost 9 years, and can usually read him like a book, but this is just puzzling me. Any ideas/advice/help?
smile.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
Well I don't know the full story, but my boy gets a bit grotty this time of year as I only have time to ride at weekends & he gets bored of the same old thing (the same old hacks). I think that because there is less grass & Mon-Fri he doesn't get to go out he just feels a bit unenthusiastic. He has the attention span of a nat, so if you don't keep him interested he just looks bored & hacked off all the time!!!!!

Jellicle

Visit site
Are you leading him because you are injured? Maybe he's just confused as to why he is being led instead of ridden, and he's trying out boundaries. My horse is always a bit on edge when I lead him, just because it is unusual I think.

Chex

Visit site
Yeah, sorry I forget to add the whole story lol. I broke my leg in august, my mum was riding at weekends but she's been a way on holiday for a month, so he's just been led out (I was long-reining, but after a few bucks tht were too close to my face for comfort and getting dragged about, I gave up!). He does seem a bit on edge, I think thats why he's trying to tank off, but usually he's fine to lead.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Perhaps you should cut down his food a little (just the stuff that may be hyping him up) - sounds like he is desperate to have a good run and walking in hand just doesn't do it for him!

jayvee

Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but you mention leading him round in the field.
Can you not lead him out for a walk and pick of grass down a lane or track? That would be more intresting. (I don't know why you can't ride til feb). Can the horse be ridden?
Off the scale abit.. but my old mare went to stud this summer (unsuccsesfully) and when I picked her up (and on the odd visit) she looked totally bored sh**less and miserable and I felt sorry for her. It was longest she had ever had off work (3mths). I couldn't bare it and brought her home and back in full work (as you know). She's a happy bee now!

Chex

Visit site
Thanks. He's only on a handful of special dieter (like happy hoof) and is still out 24/7. He would behave if I led him on the road I think. I think he does just need to get back into full time work (which is near impossible in winter though!) but then I can't help but worry that he's fed up with being worked completely
frown.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
I don't think that's the case! Like previous post, I think he's bored Sh*tless myself! That is absolutely no dis-respect to what you are doing with him, but I bet if he were hacked out he'd liven up with ears forward pronto!! I know that is not possible at the moment, but I would have a go at leading him out & see if it makes a difference. If I do too much of the same thing with mine he gives me that look of "
mad.gif
not again FFS?!!! I am sure he is not unhappy! Good luck !
grin.gif

Chex

Visit site
Ok thanks, I hope he is bored with just being led out, I know I am! Still, he should be grateful he's getting any attention at all lol