Does my horse's bit fit?

Jive Master

Visit site
Okay so as the title suggests I'm having a little trouble getting the right fitting bit for my boy.
I have attached some pictures of him wearing a 4.5" single jointed snaffle. I was concerned this was too small but i purchased a 5" today and that seemed far too big.

Do you think this Bit fits okay or is it too small?

Thanks in advance :D x

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jive Master

Visit site
Thanks guys that exactly what I thought, Will he be okay in something that is slightly too big though? as the 5" seemed to sit too low and slide from side to side.

He has a 4.75" In-Hand bit which is perfect but its becoming expensive just buying to try.

Also any recommendations on types of bit that may be better. Thanks Again

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
If you go to a company like bit bank you can try a bit for up to 30 days and return it. If you buy it you get the loan cost discounted from the price. It does get expensive buying bits to try and find they don't fit - especially with the more exotic bits which can cost hundreds!

Tnavas

Visit site
Definitely too small. Find yourself a thin piece of wood or dowling, slide it into your horses mouth and mark where it comes out of his mouth on each side. Take out and measure. Add no more than one inch for a jointed bit to this measurement. Now you have the correct size, surf through the internet for different companies to get the right sized bit.

With the wider bit you may have to adjust your cheek pieces to get the right height in the mouth as the rings are often a different size.

Jive Master

Visit site
Definitely too small. Find yourself a thin piece of wood or dowling, slide it into your horses mouth and mark where it comes out of his mouth on each side. Take out and measure. Add no more than one inch for a jointed bit to this measurement. Now you have the correct size, surf through the internet for different companies to get the right sized bit.

With the wider bit you may have to adjust your cheek pieces to get the right height in the mouth as the rings are often a different size.

I did that initially and came up with 4.25" however I didn't realise I need to add up to as much as a inch, so thanks for that. I did buy a 5" french link yesterday, by recommendation from a very experienced horse lady, it seems to fit better (and he was happier, no head shaking) and I did need to adjust the cheek pieces as the rings were so much bigger! I forgot to take a photo so ill snap one later and see what you guys think.

Thanks so much for your help.

Shay - I may try that when he is required to show in a double/pelham as I'm not sure he will like it, thanks for the heads up. :D