Does Soya oil give TB's lots of energy?

Rupert2006

Visit site
I have recently started giving my TB soya oil in his feed as I was told at our feed merchants that it is good for joints - he is a bit stiff behind - I was under the impression that Linseed was good for joints as well, but they told me this was not the case (I keep getting conflicting information, its very frustrating!) - anyway, I was adding the soya oil into his tea when one of the girls at my yard said 'soya oil gives them loads of energy you know' - I had been moaning earlier about my TB being rather over exuberant in the school earlier with lots of bucking and generally being a git - so, does it fizz them up? I just want something natural to help his joints!! thanks in advance!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oil can add a little sparkle to them - but I've not known it send them over the top.

Cod liver oil for joints, but Soya will also benefit.

UKa

community.webshots.com
I keep mine on a high oil diet - she gets sunflower oil - and is super calm and relaxed throughout.

Oil is slow release energy so should not send them loopy, but all horses are different ...

Twiglet

Visit site
My TB whizzes up on thin air (ok maybe not thin air, but sugars, starches, molasses, alfalfa, you name it) and he doesn't react at all on soya oil.

air78

www.ctwequine.com
My TB is horizontal on oil!
grin.gif

cosmicblue

Visit site
oil is a slow realease energy source so shouln't fizz them up but i do know of one who turned from riding school angel into local devil on soya oil
smile.gif

it affects them all differently

Sal_E

Visit site
I had my sharp TB on the EPSM diet for a while (i.e. very high levels of oil) & it made her lethargic - as if she was as if she felt really bloated.

Oil is supposed to be slow release energy, but I think if you had a horse that was previously lethargic, you may notice a difference even with slow release energy.

I think oil is a bit like sugar beet - i.e. not supposed to hot up a horse, but people do claim to see results with some horses.