Does this seem right ? saddle buyer ?

loopyloo

New User
Visit site
Hey everyone, just had this response to an ad I placed in H&H classifieds .... am I being cynical or does this seem odd ?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Good day,
Thanks for your swift response toward the inquiry.About the present working condition of the item as stated by you,I am really pleased with it,but i belived you are telling me the real fact,because i cannot come over to your location now due to the nature of my work.Well, the asking price is okay by me for £300. I would be offering you £360 for the payment of the item, reason for this is that i want you to make sure you reserved the item for me and consider it sold to any other enquiries. Also,I will instruct my associate to send you the payment and also instruct him to include the shipping fee to your payment,because i had arrange for the shipping. So immediately you recieve the cheque you would needs to send the shipper's payment to them. If this arrangement is ok by you. I will like you to get back to me with your full details so that i can forward the cheque to you immediately.
Full name ...........
Contact Address ........
Contact mobile number .day or night...........
When you send me the following information,i will instruct my associate to issue the cheque immediately.Hope to hear from you soonest .
Many thanks

I’ve been told by a saddler that’s it’s value is £400, so I put £350 being a private sale, so I guess I would consider £300, Scotland seems an awful long way for a saddle ?
Thank you for your interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good day,
Thanks for the mail...Well still much interested. Kindly get back to me with the last asking price you considered as the seller...Am from Denmark, but presently in fife scotland for a seminar programme.
Many thanks

Hi,
I inherited this saddle with a horse when my friend moved to new Zealand, the horse sadly passed away and I’m to sell the saddle, the original owner was from new and it is in very good condition, well looked after and loved. It has been cleaned and covered up. I can try to email a picture. I am in Surrey, where are you ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good day,
I saw your advert on the net today about an item you are putting up forsale, and i would like to make an enquiry as regard it. Kindly get back to me with the details information below if you still have it forsale.
1.What are the reasons for selling it?
2.Did you purchase this item from new or how many previous owner before you?
3.What is the present condition of this item in the last 5days?
4.Can you email me the present picture of this item in order to confirm and verify things?
5.where you are located? i.e (when and where i can come for inspection )
6.The last asking price you"ll consider and accept?
Many thank [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] s

Advise or previous experience of this would be greatly appreciated... I have removed email address's but can PM if needed.

Many thanks for your input fellow horse lovers !!

juliebrewer

Visit site
You have been scammed. I received the same thing afew months ago. You have to press the 'spam' button on your email page when the email is opened. This will notify the email profider that it is spam and they will delete the email and email address. Its a con, usually from africa and they say they have an agent in England etc etc. Lots of this is going on at the mo.

BethH

Visit site
My gut is saying it doesn't seem quite right to me. Don't like the word Associate - sounds like trying to imply he is a businessman but not behaving like one. Would be careful. If you want to go ahead I would make sure if he is paying by cheque you get the cheque first and if it is drawn on a bank abroad get it sent for negotioation - by the way it can take 28days to clear, if it is drawn on a UK bank get it sent for Special presentation so you get a definite answer it will be paid before you post the goods. Have never sold on ebay so not sure how payment would work if pays via paypal (is that the right term?) but ensure the funds are cleared into your account first.

As an ex-bank manager have seen one too many dodgy deals, ensure you are going to get paid 1st - also be aware this could be a way to launder dirty money so try to find out a bit more about the buyer before you deal with them, not easy I know if it is ebay. Sorry not trying to scare you but there is so much of this around you wouldn't believe it!

charlyan

Visit site
Definitely a scam. Most probably being run from Nigeria. As Jubbily said, lots of this going on at the moment. If you check the likes of Horsemart and Adhorse, they give advice about these scams. Think they call it Phishing. You will never see a cheque from them as they will pull out and give some pathetic excuse for suddenly not being able to afford the "item".
DO NOT SEND MONEY FOR SHIPPING FEE!

charlyan

Visit site
Scam 1 - "Overseas Buyers..."
THIS IS THE ADVICE FROM HORSEMART:

The scammer will express an interest in buying the item that is for sale. However, the scammer tells the vendor that he lives abroad, and that he would like to send the vendor a cheque to cover the cost of the item, plus an additional amount to cover the cost of shipping the item overseas.

If the vendor agrees to this, the scammer sends them a cheque or a banker's draft for the total amount. The vendor pays the cheque or draft into their bank account, and the bank clears it immediately, making the funds available in the vendor's bank account.

The scammer then asks the vendor to get in touch with the shipping agent immediately in order to arrange the shipment overseas. The vendor does so, and the shipping agent (another scammer) asks for their fee up front. They usually ask for the fee to be sent via Western Union to enable them to collect it immediately. As the scammer's cheque or bank draft has been cleared by the bank as soon as it was paid in, the vendor agrees to this, and sends the shipping agent their money.

The vendor is usually then contacted by the scammer, who asks the vendor to send the rest of the money back as he no longer wants to purchase the item. There is usually a hard-luck story attached: one common story is that the scammer's son or daughter has been involved in an accident or is seriously ill, and the scammer needs the money to pay for their hospital treatment. If the vendor agrees, they transfer the rest of the money back to the scammer, again probably via Western Union.

At this point, the vendor is unaware that they have been scammed. They remain unaware of this until the scammer's cheque or bank draft completes the bank clearing process - which can take days or even weeks - and the bank finally finds out that it is a forgery.

Searcher

Visit site
scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam just tell them its sold.
I know a friend who got done this way.
S.