Does this sound like a fair Novice track?

beaconhorse

Visit site
Took Beacon to Rodbaston yesterday. The unaff novice 2ft 6in clear round and class(same course)

it was indoors

There were several spreads an oxer. A scary jump with wishing wells at the side.
Then a HUGE solid wall that was at least 2ft 6in x 2ft wide with huge 8ft pillars at the sides. Now on its own that was fair enough BUT it was placed at an awkward angel from the previous jump (5 strides) and just going away from the entrance.

I just felt this was rather harsh if they had introduced the wall in a more 'friendly' place that would have been fairer.

Most people had at least one stop at it, and a couple of fallers (luckily not me)

Just wondered if this is a normal type of novice course?

samp

Visit site
Guess it depends on how many classes they had first? If this was say the second class of the day then it seems a bit unfair, as the first class at local shows normally does not involve fillers - ideal for novice horses

ecrozier

Visit site
Maybe a cynic, but in my experience if there are a lot of entries expected in a class, they put a nasty one like that in to weed out plenty before the jump off!!
It does sound nasty though, which is a shame as you would expect at that height they might try to encourage people!!

SillyMare

Visit site
I think it depends on the venue.

Actually I like it when they put all the scarey things in the 2ft6 class - small enough to jump from a standstill on a baby horse. Better to get used to jumping funny fillers and walls etc. while the fences are small and forgiving.

It is miserable to get a bad score, but then little classes are for practicing without too much pressure.

sorona

Visit site
I think it is more annoying when you enter a 2'6" and the jumps are not up to height at all and are not challenging in any way. My daugther has done some 2'6" stuff on her young pony and the course has actually been between 2' and 2'3". That was a bit frustrating as he had moved on from that height and needed more of a challenge so it seemed a wate of money.
I think the horses need to come accross a solid wall at some point and better at that height than any bigger as as said before, it can be jumped from standstill if needed, even by a pony!
Maybe i am a bit tight but I like to know that i have got my monies worth when i take my daughter to any jumping shows. I think all courses should be set at the height and width that is stated for the class and not put down smaller so it is easier, what is the point, they should just have another class at a lower height!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think that sounds quite resonable to be honest and agree with silly mare.

Also if the venue also holds affiliated comps then they usually tend to build unaffiliated courses as they would affiliated (but obvioulsy smaller).

Pidge

Visit site
They do build a couple of fences at the height of the next class to save time which has put me off trying the 2'6" class as the thought of jumping 2'9" is terrifying, jumping 2'6" is scary enough! How did you get on?

Tia

Visit site
Fair = every young/novice horse jumping the same jumps. The wonderful thing about competitions is if you don't like a particular venue then you don't need to go again.

Personally I think the course sounded fine.
cool.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Have to agree with what's already been said....sounds like the wall was a rider frightener more than a horse one
crazy.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think nowadays it totally depends on the designer the venue uses! I know one place locally who's novice tracks are tough - twisty, crazy lines, spooky etc. yet another venue is totally the opposite and is really woosy! I think you just learn which venues / designers do what and you take your horse accordingly!