Does this sound like an abscess

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Horse came in lame on near front short in walk got vet out, did hoof test reaction to inside back of the foot had a bit of a dig about nothing, I have poulticed but nothing his soles are really hard and the vet didn't want to start cutting the foot up, his hoof wall on that side is a bit broken up, he was shod last Wednesday I noticed he was not keen on walking on the stony area a few days after but I think his frog is sensitive after it's been trimmed and his soon back to normal after a few days.

Vet has ruled out laminitis his got a slight elevated pulse on lame leg all the rest are fine, I am thinking could he have bruised it badly? I would get my farrier out but his away so I have a friend of his coming at 1pm today to have a look he also said it could be bruised especially as the soles are so hard, what do you think??

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he shouldnt be sore after shoeing so that would concern me, is your farrier trimming too much? could be nail bind if it happened immediately after shoeing this time so see what the other farrier says..
.he could get laminitis in one foot, it doesnt have to be all of them and if there is a pulse in that leg i would be a bit careful not to let him have too much grass just in case

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
could be an abscess as they sometimes take a few days to show, i assumed from your post that he was normally a bit sore after shoeing, not just this time....perhaps the farrier will be able to throw some light on it for you..

meleeka

Visit site
A raised pulse just means inflammation somewhere. I’d get farrier back If it were me. He’s best placed to remove the shoe and have a prod for pain. In the meantime I’d have another go at poulticing.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Vet took shoe off yesterday his got a definite sore spot but she couldn't find anything but didn't really par the foot back, I a farrier coming today mine is away just hoping he will find something

meleeka

Visit site
Vet took shoe off yesterday his got a definite sore spot but she couldn't find anything but didn't really par the foot back, I a farrier coming today mine is away just hoping he will find something
Lucky you! I find vets are generally too happy to cut great lumps away, meaning it’s ages before it’s healed properly. Fingers crossed the farrier has some ideas.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My first thought was nail bind too but I'd expect that to come on quicker. I imagine it's bruised. The exracer once had similar symptoms, he had really hard soles too... turned out to be a huge sub-solar blood blister/bruise. It came on a few days after shoeing (farrier came out thinking he'd nail binded him) but he'd lost a shoe a few days prior which is when he must have got the bruise. It did take a bit of digging to release it and box rest to heal it up unfortunately. It was winter though so couldn't turn out with a hole in his foot or any kind of bandage because of mud.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Farrier didn't think it was an abscess said it could be intense bruising, I am treating him as a laminitic just in case I will be absolutely gutted if it is, the farrier said pad the foot with extra in the heal as that where he seems most sensitive, his very bright and seems ok his just on 2 Bute a day, I am just praying it's not laminitis:(

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Laminitis wouldn’t usually be painful in the heel, he’d be walking heel first so unlikely. Fingers crossed he’s on the mend soon.

That's what vet said and I also know that they are normally sore just below the frog with laminitis, that's why the vet didn't think it was laminitis either, but been reading up and they can get sinking caused by the coffin bone moving which is slightly different to pedal bone rotation.